Toyota (truck) guys come on in...

HotCarl

So I've have my Tacoma about a year and a half now and as much as I love it I'm starting to want to modify some things slightly. I obviously want to keep daily driveability but the wheels and tires are ugly, also have been looking at different grills that might give the front fascia an update.

Anyone know of any dependable websites/forums that would be the go-to for these things? Also doing some research on common upgrades for drive train and suspension.

For what its worth, its an 08 Taco, 2.7 liter four cyl, manual trans, short bed, 4x4. Its a 4 cylinder so its a turd. The manual trans makes it livable but its SLOOOOOOWWW regardless. I have thought of larger tires being too much for the tiny motor to push, maybe looking at exhaust/intake to offset that. Depends on price and if its even worth it.

If you're going to larger tires the solution to getting power back is to change the diff gears. I've never driven the 4cyl but my 05 double cab 4x4 TRD is a 6cyl and it's got more than enough power for driving, and towing at its capacity.

If you're going to larger tires the solution to getting power back is to change the diff gears. I've never driven the 4cyl but my 05 double cab 4x4 TRD is a 6cyl and it's got more than enough power for driving, and towing at its capacity.

The heaviest item i tow is my hockey bag and/or a cooler full of beer, on a good weekend anyway. I guess i never thought of changing the gears, I'm sure there's an aftermarket for it.

The more i own the truck the more I wish I would've spent a bit more for an extended cab and TRD package or at least a V6.

Gears are a very common swap in the world of offroading. I used Yukon Gears for my offroad truck. If toyota kept the same basic third member design they had in the HILUX pickup's for the axle assemblies then swapping gears on a toyota is very easy compared to what I had to do on my GM 12 bolt and Dana 44 axles on my offroad truck.

At the time Yukon had a great price and were very strong gears. I had mine on 38" swamper boggers turned by a chevy 350.

Head on over to http://www.tacomaworld.com huge information base on tacomas. Tires make a huge difference on offroad-worthiness, but they can also be pretty heavy and kill your accelration/MPG.

came here to post this

Got lots of info when i bought my Taco a few weeks ago

recently i replaced the front wheel bearings (tacomaworld tutorials) and then did a lift/level kit on it before I left the country for a few months. When I get back ill do the wheels and tires.

Edited by Panduh

I did a lift and tires on my 07 2.7l back in the day. I think I did an OME (old man emu maybe?) 3 inch lift. It was springs and leafs. I paired that with a 2 inch body lift. It fit 33x12.5's on 10" wheels just right.

It was always slow and it only made it a bit slower after the tires. I put a catback on it for noise. I dont think intake or exhaust will make any power. I did do a clutch fan delete. I picked up a 3.8 taurus fan from the salvage yard and installed it. I used a universal rad temp sensor and relay kit to power it. Worked well. Helped with the pickup and quiet the engine noises down.

http://i.imgur.com/fWcTr01.jpg

maybe consider some wheels and tires close to your factory dimensions that will be aesthetically pleasing and not make even more unsafe to merge into traffic lol. let me know if you want some help

That's actually exactly what I was thinking, something that looks better and MAYBE slightly larger. Probably not interested in lifts as this is my primary form of transportation and has to remain functional / comfortable as a daily driver.

I'll check out tacomaworld.com also, thanks for the info.

Items you should never install on your truck/suv

Or any size body lift

Ever.

Yeah yeah, when you are 18 and want a lifted truck you don't always make the wisest choices. It was like $700-800 to get 5" vs probably $2000 for a susp lift.

Tacomaworld as others noted. I am on there and just hang out in the Ohio thread. Gone wheeling with a few of the guys a couple times. Nice people.

The thread is 98% BS but but I guess so is CR!

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ohio-wheelin-meet-up-thread.371898/page-263

Id just lift it with some lift springs or coilovers up front and then I think the go-to out back are All Pro leaf packs...or maybe an add-a-leaf. Honestly if you are not going to offroad it much or at all, and the miles are low on the OEM parts, there really isnt anything wrong with spacer lifts....yes we will make fun of you for it, but we've all been there.

Then get 255/85/16s or 255/80/17s. These are referred to as 'Pizza cutters' with the tall narrow size. They are still only about 32" and that size is right at home on a taco. Could upgrade rims to lighter ones. Most stock alloys can be almost 30# each!. For example you can get some sick Toyota specific wheels from SCS, and the 16s can be like 15# each. Huge savings.

Ill see if this pic works. A buddy in Virginia had done a 3" lift with the 255s on his DC. The wheels are just cheap Level 8 Guardians from Discount Tire, but man they look killer:

10154052_10201826035074428_2077407114_n.jpg?oh=28392ad73cc372e7ee0df6f906d0c686&oe=5766C83E

Didn't TRD make a supercharger kit for the 2.7l? I think URD has a kit as well. If you want more power it's hard to beat forced induction.

The taller the tire you use the lower numerically your gear ratio becomes. This used to happen to jeep guys all the time who would fit 35" tires on lifted yj's with 3.07 axles and then they would realize their 3.07 was now a 2 something and all rush to the junkyard to find 4.11 4cyl axles because their jeeps were dangerously slow.

Wasn't there something on here a while ago about the "Detroit drop"? Lowered trucks with aggressive off road tires? Just fit really aggressive treds in stock size and if someone asks tell them you are part of that fad.

Anyway, point is make a plan. If you want big tires and a lift you need to do gears. Sit down and figure out how tall you want to go and what gears you'll need to get there.

Or you can just figure out what it will take to get into a same year same mileage TRD edition v6 taco and see if that makes better financial sense.

Post a pic of your truck so we can at least see what we are looking at. If you have the base stock stamped wheels, just going for alloy take offs from a v6 model might improve it drastically for almost no coin.

• 2 weeks later...