HF Compressors

Mallard

Does anyone have experience with Harbour Freight compressors? I got this in the mail today and have been a considering a compressor for the garage. I don't do a lot of work, so it won't get heavy use. Is this worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/8358ca5513fffd6bc0a741b6bf0f5602.jpg

it works for small stuff and not big enough to use air tools heavily. Alot quitter than the sears electric models that are the same size.

What would you consider small stuff? Are you saying 21 gal is too small for heavy use, or the HF isn't up to it?

pretty much. I couldn't run a cut off wheel for more than 30 seconds and went back to electric tools. If you want to use it for bolts, air, etc then you are good. I have seen good things online about their compressor that runs 800-900.

I have a 5 gallon and it hasn't been a waste of money, but it could use more CFM air flow which is the important rating. Get the highest you can afford. Air tools such as grinders use a lot of CFM. I have all the electric HF tools I'll ever need so I don't use air for much other than tires and my air ratchet when I'm doing something involving a lot of bolts.

Here is a coupon for $149.99 if you want that one

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/5_ITEM_2.5_HP__21_GALLON_125_PSI_VERTICAL_AIR_COMPRESSOR_1455491050.4024.jpeg

Check out hfqpdb.com for any current HF coupons.

As said above be sure to check the CFM for any tools you would be using. Most tools always seem to either be fine with a 3 gallon compressor or need a 60 gallon to keep up.

I've had that exact compressor for about 4 years and its been fantastic. I've rebuilt countless cars with it. The only thing it struggles with is a continuous load like using an air grinder, and in that case you give it a few minutes to recharge.

I must have had bad luck with mine, I bought one years ago and it didn't even last a year. Went to fire it up one winter day and it crapped out. I never bothered to figure out why, just bought a nicer pancake-type one from Home Depot and it's been great.

I've had one since 06 or so. About a year later it crapped out and stopped running. Luckily my wife bought the extended warranty and I just took it back and they gave me another one. It works pretty well for what I need it for. Like said above, running a cut off wheel sucks. Sanding stuff with a die grinder isn't that bad. I also bought one of those cheap water separators and it seems to work decent enough.

I must have had bad luck with mine, I bought one years ago and it didn't even last a year. Went to fire it up one winter day and it crapped out. I never bothered to figure out why, just bought a nicer pancake-type one from Home Depot and it's been great.

Ya know there's a little breaker button next to the on/off switch right? Mine sometimes pops every now and then when it's been running for a long time.

Just make sure to follow the break-in procedure in the manual, I also change the oil out after the break in just for good measure.

this. When I was buying a new compressor I did a lot of reading up on it and you could divide the stories of success/failure right along those who followed the break in vs those who didn't. I ended up buying the pancake compressor from HF and followed the break in and 2 years so far and no real issue. I use it for light work though (impact gun is the only air tool, all my whizz tools are electric).

What exactly is the break in procedure for the HF compressors? I did not see it in my manual even after exclusively looking for it.

mine has probably ran for about a half hour total now. Just change the oil? I have definitely noticed a change in color through the sight glass.

What exactly is the break in procedure for the HF compressors? I did not see it in my manual even after exclusively looking for it.

mine has probably ran for about a half hour total now. Just change the oil? I have definitely noticed a change in color through the sight glass.

Don't remember off the top of my head but it includes running it for X amount of time. I haven't set my new one up yet but I have the manual in the garage. I'll grab it in a few minutes and post it here

*edit*

Break in procedure is to open all valves/regulators and run for 30 minutes.

Edited by mrhobbz
adding break in procedure

I have the exact same one. Bolts that mount the compressor to the frame backed out over time and the high pressure air line cracked. Need to take it back for an exchange. I run it in parallel with another compressor (5hp 18gal maybe?) and am able to use cut off wheels and roloc disks no problem. Even painted a truck with them. It's a decent compressor for hobby type work.

Break in procedure is to open all valves/regulators and run for 30 minutes.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61454.pdf

Break in the new Air Compressor as follows:

a. Turn the Power Switch off and unplug the unit. Insert a male coupler (sold separately) into the female Quick Coupler and fully open all regulators and valves.

b. Plug in the Power Cord.

c. Turn the Power Switch ON.

d. Let the unit run for 30 minutes. Air will expel freely through the Coupler.

e. Turn the Power Switch OFF.

f. Unplug the Power Cord and

remove the male coupler

and...

1. Check the oil level before operation. Fill the Pump Crankcase (39) with SAE 30W, non-detergent, Air Compressor Oil (sold separately).

important:

running the air compressor with the incorrect amount of oil will cause damage to the equipment and void the warranty. to prevent damage, do not use with overfilled or low oil. Slowly fill to full line, wait 2 minutes and fill back up to full line. compressor has small passages that will fill slowly.

2. The oil level should be at the center of the “full”

level on the oil level sight glass, as shown in Figure H, below. Add oil as needed to maintain this level. Do not let the oil level go below the center dot (LOW as shown below) and do not overfill the oil so that it is above the center dot (OVERFILL as shown below) on the sight glass

if you read some of the other forums on this most people check the oil, find the level incorrect, drain and add fresh oil, do the break in procedure, drain and add fresh oil again, and then proceed to use the compressor normally.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone that references back to this thread...

I changed the oil today in the HF compressor i picked up last month. I Put good Porter Cable compressor oil in it which went in perfectly clear. Id say this has about 30 minutes of run time on it. Definitely gross looking.

http://imgur.com/a/XxIYK

Save your money. My wife bought me this compressor for my birthday and it didn't even last 2 months. My main purpose was to use the compressor to power air tools but the motor/pump couldn't produce air fast enough so I could barely get 2 lug nuts off with an impact driver before having to wait for pressure to build up again. The only 2 things I found this compressor useful for was to air tires and to power an trim nailer. that's it. Also within those 2 months of use the tank pressure switch went bad so it wouldn't shut off the motor anymore, the airline from the pump to tank would pop off at about 95lbs, then the main power controls went bad and that's where I had enough and bought a different compressor. The low price is very appealing but in this case not worth the hassle at all. You will wish you spent more and got something with a little more quality.

Here is a coupon for $149.99 if you want that one

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/5_ITEM_2.5_HP__21_GALLON_125_PSI_VERTICAL_AIR_COMPRESSOR_1455491050.4024.jpeg

Check out hfqpdb.com for any current HF coupons.

As said above be sure to check the CFM for any tools you would be using. Most tools always seem to either be fine with a 3 gallon compressor or need a 60 gallon to keep up.

thanks....my buddy just called me and was asking about this compressor for $180. I sent him this coupon. $30 is $30. :D