Any opinions/comments on the Pontiac Solstice GXP?

Rustlestiltskin

MODS CAN LOCK THREAD. Found a car. Not going with a solstice gxp

I'm looking to get back into a 2 seater rwd vert for cruising and the occasional autox/ track fun and a few cars are crossing the list. I've had multiple Miata's in the past so I'm trying to go a different route.

I'm down to either choosing a Honda S2000 or a Pontiac Solstice GXP.

Does anybody on here have any experience with the Solstice GXP? I'm wanting to know info on it besides the normal daily driving of one. From all comparisons online it seems everybody gravitates to the s2000 over the solstice gxp for reasons that it's more of a sports car and a "drivers car". Any thoughts/comments/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

The guy with the red Supra on here was pretty hot and heavy into a Sky Redline at one time. Hopefully he'll chime in. I drove a Solstice GXP in 2008 and thought it was pretty fun and ran good, but it was also brand new at the time and I was 21 years old. Compared to a couple S2000s I've driven, I prefer the look and feel of the S2000, but don't think you'd be disappointed in either. Very informative, I know.

Imop the sky and solstice are very poorly built. The interior is almost pure plastic everything, and if you actually look at the welds of the subframe and supports it honestly appears as if the car was already wrecked and fix. Everytime I do a inspection on them I have to be extremely careful when looking because it's almost not possible to tell if its a factory weld or a aftermarket weld. Would never buy

Go s2000 or BMW for sure

I really like the Saturn Sky and it's a shame GM Didn't keep this or the Solstice. Would love to see what could have been updated and put into them.

Personally, I've driven a Solstice GXP and outside the "Plastic/Pontiac" element of the car, it was fun as can be. Felt faster than it was. They respond well to mods though and are nice.

That said, well before CR I had an S2000 and LOVED IT. Below 5500rpm it felt like a civic, but if you pushed the go pedal it woke up and was fun. Probably the most balanced car I've owned and driven. Loads of fun and really hard to get stupid with in the twisties.

On VWVortex a guy just picked up a beautiful one with only 20k on it. Like brand new. Very Jelly. Would buy one and put a turbo on it in a heartbeat. Timeless design IMO.

Cliffs: First Choice - S2000 but I'd pick up a Sky Redline just the same.

the only thing I can add here is if you are looking for a "rare" car as well, the 2009 Solstice GXP coupe is probably the best bet. only 1500 production units made in all trims for 2009 only (there are some pre-production units as well), and even less GXP coupes. I know you said you wanted open air touring but the coupe is a targa top so you can still have blue sky over your head, just think of that hoop behind your head as a really big roll bar. seems like it would be a more rigid car too than the open convertible.

I feel like I should post some smart ass "cuck" response as to how these are stereotypical chic cars....

That being said I'm not as big of a douche as you so, in honest opinion the S2000 gets my vote, drove one and was a fun car not a fan of the Mazdas, I'd rather drive my mullet vert, but that is me and can respect others have different tastes and means.

I feel like I should post some smart ass "cuck" response as to how these are stereotypical chic cars....

That being said I'm not as big of a douche as you so, in honest opinion the S2000 gets my vote, drove one and was a fun car not a fan of the Mazdas, I'd rather drive my mullet vert, but that is me and can respect others have different tastes and means.

Cool story bro.

Mods can lock this thread. Think I found a car today and it's not a s2k, solstice gxp or a sky redline.