C7 Vette - Z51 package worth it?

Mowgli1647545497

Been pricing some new vettes and have been wondering about the rear eLSD you get if you order the Z51 package.

Is it worth it? Is it more robust? Downstream issues if I mod? Does it really noticably improve performance?

Any C7 owners on here able to chime in? (also been lurking the vette forums)

I do not own one, but my dad has been through some vettes and I have had the joy of being able to drive them(z51, Grandsport, 427 and now a 15' Stingray). He is in his late 50's and loves his Stingray non z51 because it has the power, handling, looks and fun factor and ride comfort without the price tag of the z51. A big thing to note as well is that he does not track the car or do AutoX. His 427 had the magnetic ride, track suspension and the z06 wheel/tire set up and he disliked it because how aggressive it was. I loved it though because of how harsh it was and how you felt everything.

At the end of the day I think it matters on your budget, what your going to do with it and how you want it to ride.

I don't know if you have yet or not, but check out Rick Conti at Coughlin Corvette. My dad has purchased all his through Rick and he does a really good job and really knows the cars. http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/

I like the Z51, but having serviced the eLSD I could care less for it. Getting access to it, special tools and bleed procedure make it a pain. Have seen a couple with random issues, one needed the module replaced, the other had a burnt electrical terminal (I wasn't the one who fixed it, not poistive which terminal). Of course I'm a little biased as I prefer my cars without as much fancy electronics. The multiple networks and bunch of modules on new Vettes just isn't for me.

If you want a real smooth ride avoid the magnetic ride control. I absolutely hated it on my 14' Z51. I didn't want the Z51 when I got the car as it was a convertible and I knew I wasn't going to track it. However, it was the only one with the other options I wanted.

The other problem is break dust. The Z51 had more breakdust than my old 07Z06. I ended up putting low break dust pads on and that worked great, but it's still something to consider.

All in all identical corvettes z51, magnetic ride etc added 10k to the price and I hated it. Next time I'll wait and get the exact one I want :)

Oh... Performance wise. If your going to autocross/road race absolutely get the Z51. Drag racing or the occasional roll race or launch from a street light think twice. Mine was an automatic and would just light the tires up. Marks vert was a non Z51 and he got better traction even after he installed his supercharger than I did stock.

Drive both, you'll get an idea.

Good info, thx. Also big thanks for the Conti callout - already been on phone with these folks, very helpful.

+1

Conti is a good dude and has great inventory as well. I believe he is running specials on non z51's right now.