Long shot.. Going to TX this weekend?

Sully

I know it's a long shot and a member did just recently head down there, but is anyone on here by chance driving to Texas this weekend? LoL. I figured the chances are slim, but it's an emergency and just trying to figure the cheapest way to get there quickly. Flying on short notice is not cheap by any means.

Drivings gonna be your best bet. Go rent a stupid small car for 20 bucks a day that gets 35+ mpg and get down there.Quick google search shows its 1100 miles. should cost you under 200 round trip in gas and 3 days for car rental.

Drivings gonna be your best bet. Go rent a stupid small car for 20 bucks a day that gets 35+ mpg and get down there.Quick google search shows its 1100 miles. should cost you under 200 round trip in gas and 3 days for car rental.

This. Ive found the Chevy Cruze or Chrysler 200 to be the most comfy 'Standard Class' rentals

I hate driving or else I'd do it. If I had a companion to switch driving with, then I could do it. Like I said, it's a long shot, but figured with as many people on the board and it seems like someone is always heading that direction, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You just missed this bus... If you didn't want to ride with me and the dogs, (you don't get to ride alone with the gf ;)), I could've hid you in some furniture like the couch or something. :D

Anyway, good luck finding a ride. There's got to be people heading to TX2K. I know you didn't like the Craigslist idea, but perhaps some strangers that are heading to that wouldn't be so bad. Try some other car forums, as well and be willing to offer a number to help out for the trip.

Rental car would probably be my choice but I like driving. Hell, when Littleguy was here, I drove us to Little Rock and back nonstop except for gas and a half hour of loading the car. And we left at 11pm at night, (was completely impromptu). I was seeing a few weird shadow animals on the side of the road by the time we hit old 315N to Delaware but I knew they weren't real! We made it intact. lol

Flight is literally like 2.5hrs. Driving from Columbus can be done in <16hrs straight through. I did that once and do NOT recommend that. If you don't want to spend the money on a flight, i'd suggest driving and taking 2 days to do it. 10hrs one day, 6hrs the other. I prefer the "northern" route over the "southern" route.

Go find some online chat rooms and pretend to be 14 year old girl looking to run away from home to TX. Some sex predator will probably buy you a ticket within the hour.

This could actually work. haha

Greyhound?

YES! I recommend everyone take at least one long Greyhound trip. I've taken 2 3-day Greyhound trips. I only recommend one. Both were an incredible experience and a little sucky like a bus ride full of people can be. You make it what you will, though. I had a couple good times to go with the rest.

Look at hub airports. Not sure where in Texas but when I was flying there every few weeks a flight to Houston or Dallas could be a quarter of what it was to fly to San Antonio for example. I too have driven there and back a handful of times and it's not fun.

Where are you trying to go and when do you need to leave and return?

Look on Spirit Airlines (as of this post)....from Detroit to Houston leaving Friday is $143 and returning on Tuesday is $48. All in, $191... (Detroit to Dallas is $255)

...not many rental cars, gas and hotels going to beat that price. If you can purchase from the ticket counter you can save 50% sometimes because they don't hit you with the online booking fees.

can Cassy take a few days off and drive with you? Might make things easier. Also, what part of Texas are you going? It's a big state

She's not working. She has a kid to take care of. I'm just biting the bullet and purchasing a one-way ticket there, then using airline miles to come pay for the flight back. Seeing my grandpa is more important than money.