Unlocked Fire Stick?

2 Sweet

Help me out, CR. When it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm just an ignorant simpleton stuck in the past.

One of my buddies bought an unlocked Amazon Fire Stick from craigslist and says he can basically stream anything he wants. There's a bunch of ads on CL, ranging in price from $60 to $100...

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/5494272496.html

How legit is this, long term? Another one of my friends once had a jailbroken AppleTV that was cool for like a month, then all the servers or whatever got outdated or shut down and it became shit. Will the same deal happen with the Fire Stick if you don't keep up with "modding" it with the latest apps/servers/etc?

I want to buy one that's unlocked because I'm too much of a noob to understand how to root one myself. I don't mind paying $60 or whatever for one that's already been modded, as long as the thing doesn't become garbage in time.

Any feedback would be sweet!

I have one and it's pretty cool. We cut cable years ago and just rented movies, Netflix, Hulu and bunny ears for basic tv. Going on about two months with the stick and love it so far. I haven't dug too deep into it but have tried many add-ons and am still getting familiar.

It's not nearly as easy as a steaming app like Netflix or similar, but if you're patient and like saving money you will learn to deal. Plus you have access to literally any video or audio file ever made. You just need to set it up how you like and find your favorite add-ons to use on a regular basis. I just stick to a few, although I have several installed.

As for buying one of CL. I considered that route and almost did. After emailing two locals and one being out of stock and the other not responding I just ordered a new one from Amazon. I did the install of Kodi and all add ons myself. It's super easy and you don't even need a computer to do it anymore. I saved $20-50 by going this route and like that I am more familiar with how it works. Rather than buying one already set up with a bunch of shit I probably wouldn't even use. After using mine for a few months I don't see how people could use much more than 10-15 add-ons max. The ones people are selling are overloaded with more than you would ever dare to use and would end up just frustrating me personally.

I say just jump on Amazon and get your own and search google. Message me for my number if you would like and I can text you some info that I might still have saved. Or walk you through some stuff.

I have one and it works but can be pretty frustrating at times as far as streams being good and movie quality but overall worth the money. There's a newer one out there called sky stream that's supposed to be a lot better. It's more money but also has an option for a keyboard which would be cool to have when doing searches and what not. There are tons of tutorials and what not on youtube. I just bought a firestick from amazon and side loaded kodi on it myself then added andy's build to it which basically just organizes things for you. I did all of that by watching youtube....I didn't know anything about it going in. I would probably just buy one already loaded up from ebay if I had it to do again.

My two cents would be this...

If you are to noob enough to learn how to unlock something yourself then you might not even use or understand how to use all the features an unlocked streaming stick can offer. I would HIGHLY recommend you take the time to discover all the features the device offers locked and unlocked before taking the plunge. Considering these things retail for $40, why pay 200% of the value just because some guy ran a program on his computer to unlock it? It just does not make sense to me.

Other things to consider. For $100 you could just buy a Fire TV which is much better in every single way. It has more RAM, better processor, and can connect to USB or MicroSD cards to increase storage. The Fire TV is also easier to install KODI on (yourself) if you want to go down that road.

Also, in my opinion... The fire stick is not that good when you put it in the $80 price bracket. If you have an iPhone, Android device, or Laptop that you stream from then consider a Chromecast. The Chromecast NEEDS a phone or laptop to function and it not capable of streaming on its own, but the possibilities are endless on your laptop or phone when you stream youtube, netflix, etc. to the device. Google also rewards you each month with free goodies like free movie rentals, free music, and google play store credit for just owning the device. I have two of them in my house and I get double the rewards. :)

Last thing to consider is a Roku 2/3. Both the 2 or the 3 are around your price bracket and could give you hours of entertainment without unlocking or modding. Roku are not that hard to modify in the long term if you ever wanted to run your own custom software on them. The Roku is a great streaming box and I know quite a few people who own them and love them.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.

If you really wanted to go crazy, I have always wanted to use one of these bad boys, but I'v never taken the plunge.

http://www.amazon.com/Compute-Windows10-Version-Android4-4-Computer/dp/B01B2LYP3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458220270&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=intel+compute+stick&psc=1

It's an HDMI stick made by Intel that runs full Windows 10. The reviews on these things are crazy and they have bluetooth and WiFi built in. pair this thing with a bluetooth keyboard with a mouse and plug it in behind your TV and forget about it. BOOM! you have a full Windows 10 PC attached to your TV that you can attach a USB drive with media on it for playback. Very handy :p

I wouldn't pay extra for it. My house has 2 of them. They work okay at best for netflix and hulu. If you enjoy using your TV as a night light look no further. Unless something has changed since the last time I looked into this you don't need to root or jailbreak. I was able to sideload applications from my computer to the firestick over ADB. If you have never done that before it isn't that hard. I can find you a step by step guide. If you follow every instruction it is pretty simple. With sideloading you can manually push whatever application you want over to it. So anything you can find. Cracked apps, paid ones, or just ones that don't show up on the app store.

In my opinion I would not use this as a main way to stream movies. I've bought the following so far, chromecast, roku 2, firestick, western digital tv, a generic made in china WD TV clone, apple tv, apple mini, and $200 windows computer with wireless keyboard/mouse. Windows is the easiest and most noob friendly for anything.

I've had mine for a few months and love it. I also use Kodi and basically just two apps inside of it. I don't have cable, but I can see any show the day after it airs in pretty good quality and I use it for new movies. If you have a good enough modem and internet, there won't be many issues and since Exodus was added, I haven't had to look very hard for a good stream. I watched a couple movies in 1080p streaming with zero buffering problems.

For $60, it's well worth the try

that's actually really awesome for the money...assuming it works... I love the stolen League of Legends and Marvel artwork. :lol:

I've had mine for a few months and love it. I also use Kodi and basically just two apps inside of it. I don't have cable, but I can see any show the day after it airs in pretty good quality and I use it for new movies. If you have a good enough modem and internet, there won't be many issues and since Exodus was added, I haven't had to look very hard for a good stream. I watched a couple movies in 1080p streaming with zero buffering problems.

For $60, it's well worth the try

have you had any luck finding a 10 Cloverfield Lane stream? I've checked a few times on Exodus but there's been no stream so far. Checked 1channel and genesis too.

There is a simple 9min video on how to get KODI and Genesis on your Fire Stick. Literally the hardest part is using the onscreen keyboard.

Buy a bluetooth keyboard for $20 and use that. I did and it works great.

I mostly use Exodus for shows and movies, and LiveMix for streaming every channel imaginable.

I bought my first stick unlocked off EBay for ~$55. I'll be buying a FireTV next and doing it myself. Doesn't look too hard.

have you had any luck finding a 10 Cloverfield Lane stream? I've checked a few times on Exodus but there's been no stream so far. Checked 1channel and genesis too.

I'v been looking for one as well... rainiertamayo does not have it yet which is disappointing. Though, anything out right now is going to be a shitty cam version... I'll wait for a digital version to hit the scene.

Haven't looked for that movie yet. I usually give it a week or two with stuff that new anyway to get a better quality version.

I ditched using Genisis ever since Exodus was made. They're by the same people and I have better luck with Exodus.

You can also do a search in Phoenix that will look through all of the apps in Phoenix at once, but as far as brand new movies go, Phoenix seems to be a little behind.

There is a simple 9min video on how to get KODI and Genesis on your Fire Stick. Literally the hardest part is using the onscreen keyboard.

I agree, watch videos, get on tvaddons and htpcbeginner websites to look up more info. Also, Genesis is no longer being supported and is a waste. So disregard any info you see about that add on. The creator now runs the Exodus add on. Which I highly recommend.

Oh and for anyone doing this I recommend to sign up for a free Trakt.tv account and install the seenit app on your phone. Add all of your watched shows, check the episodes you've watched and even add ones you want to watch. Then attach your trakt account to add ons like Exodus, Velocity, Salts and many others. Much better than having to search for your favorites all the time. But if you do need to search then install the FireStick app and use your phones keyboard instead.

Haven't looked for that movie yet. I usually give it a week or two with stuff that new anyway to get a better quality version.

I ditched using Genisis ever since Exodus was made. They're by the same people and I have better luck with Exodus.

You can also do a search in Phoenix that will look through all of the apps in Phoenix at once, but as far as brand new movies go, Phoenix seems to be a little behind.

I knew about the Genisis/Exodus thing....I just added Exodus this week but so far really haven't had much luck with it. I've only been on there once since adding it and looked for a couple new movies and no stream available. That's just part of it though so I realize that. I really want to see that 10 cloverfield lane but agree that the early version right now will probably be pretty bad. Better off to wait a while.

My next is to find something where I can download movies to my phone to watch later. A buddy was telling me it can be done but I forget what he said to do. During the fall when I go hunting there's maybe once or twice a year where I'm down there by myself and I'll usually just hang in the camper at night and watch a movie or 2. It'd be nice to just plug the phone into the tv and watch movies that way versus taking my kids kindle down.

that's actually really awesome for the money...assuming it works... I love the stolen League of Legends and Marvel artwork. :lol:

It works awesome. Only issue is when my neighborhood starts sucking the bandwidth lol.

Forget genisus use exodus (SP?). The creator of G left that plan and created exodus. You can really tell the extra work he put in on E.