EGR delete?

zeitgeist57

My '78 Lincoln looks/sounds like it's leaking at the EGR valve. I read on the INTARBUTTS that the EGR system does reintroduce unburnt fuel back into the intake (which I knew) to cool and enrich the AFR (knew that).

However, the warning is that the EGR system - if eliminated - requires timing to be retarded enough to kill power, or fuel added enough to hurt fuel economy. Plus, the enriched exhaust may kill the cats.

Can I offset any potential pinging by using higher-octane (93) pump gas? Would an octane boost additive help? I drive the car around town on nice days so even though MPGs absolutely blow on this old boat, I don't care if I pay a little more at the pump. Thanks!

Guest GMoney
My '78 Lincoln looks/sounds like it's leaking at the EGR valve. I read on the INTARBUTTS that the EGR system does reintroduce unburnt fuel back into the intake (which I knew) to cool and enrich the AFR (knew that).

However, the warning is that the EGR system - if eliminated - requires timing to be retarded enough to kill power, or fuel added enough to hurt fuel economy. Plus, the enriched exhaust may kill the cats.

Can I offset any potential pinging by using higher-octane (93) pump gas? Would an octane boost additive help? I drive the car around town on nice days so even though MPGs absolutely blow on this old boat, I don't care if I pay a little more at the pump. Thanks!

All false. Block it off. I have done it in every car I own including my 2015 WRX. Yes in the new cars it will trigger a CEL but i doupt the 1978 tech has this ability since my 1995 Z-28 did not. If there was any change at all in the mpg i actually saw a increase in MPG.

Your statement even contradicts itself. Yes very rich situations will kill the cats but normally lean conditions for long periods of time will also kill cats. All new ECM monitor cat temps by post cat o2 sensors and will actually enrich the fuel mix to cool the cats during long periods of cruising. Many tuning software will actually allow this function to be turned off when cats are removed.

I blocked of the egr and other bits on 2015 wrx, Hwy mpg went from 28 average to over 36 mpg average.

first off you have a 2bbl carb. Is it even possible to hurt fuel economy in that thing by jetting? Seriously any "power" you think you will lose can be gained back by switching to a 4bbl as god and ford intended before the gubment knew what was best for you.

Just make sure your EGR is not also acting as your crankcase vent. Block it off and make sure your crankcase vent isn't plugged. After that we can tune and rejet the carb for optimal running (and maybe switch to a modern efficient holley 4bbl finally? instead of that motorcraft 2bbl piece of garbage). As far as timing, your dizzy has an emission curve which is not ideal but you don't need to pull timing unless you are pinging. Eventually you should think about an HEI upgrade dizzy but since you are a cheap bastard like me, let's just jet it, do a plug chop, tune it, and see if she knocks.

EGR creates more issues than help. I have it blocked permanently on my supra and temporarily on my 3500 CTD.

Higher octane will not help at all. Octane is dependent on compression and timing needs. If it's designed for 87 don't run 93 unless you have modifications demanding the higher octane or crap ton of buildup therefore raising your CR causing knock..

Clay needs more gold tooth and lean when driving this beast. Need to hit the thrift shop for your hat and jacket as it would complete the package.

Show up at C&C and liven up the morning :lol:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Untitled-1_zpsujlaqtzw.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/car_zpsyayw899w.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U