Toyota Tacoma Vs. Other Trucks/ Work Vans/ Sprinter Van

Radio Flyer1647545514

I'm looking to pick up a Toyota Tacoma to live in for the next year or two while I travel the U.S. to climb my ass off before I get to old and miss my opportunity.

I have no knowledge of this truck vs that truck so I'm trying to pick the truck peoples brains on what you wish you had/ need or would have done differently. I'm looking at the Tacoma because of reliability and resale value if for some reason I decide to sell it after this journey.

What I do know is that the Tacoma frame will rust from the inside out so if I find one that has been in salt I want it to have had the frame recall done recently as I've heard this doesn't transfer to used buyers but I might be wrong on this. I also read the 95.5 models to 2001 weren't included in the recall so I'm steering clear of those.

I'm looking to get a TRD Off Road V6 RWD Access Cab with the Locker as I don't THINK the 4x4 will be necessary based off of what some friends have told me terrain is like in the places I'll be visiting. I'll spend most of my time in the Red River Gorge in KY, which my Corolla moves around in just fine. For the colder midwest months I'll be traveling to Tennessee, Texas, California, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado.

I don't think I'll use the 4x4 enough to warrant the extra up front cost, declined gas efficiency and higher maintenance costs that come along with 4x4. I see a lot more 4x4 for sale though with this package so I'm wondering if anyone has run into issues with them or if they're worth giving a look. The only reason I've been told to look at 4x4 is because it won't eat up the roads I drive on as much. Most of the roads into climbing areas are either graded each year or they try to have a heavy dose of gravel dropped over them. The access roads are normally steep hills leading into valleys. They become mud pits and with heavy rains I've seen a number of people getting stuck in their FWD cars.

I'm trying to stay around 14k but I have room to go up if needed, possibly into the 18k range. I will also need a cap which I haven't included in this budget and I'd like some info on those as well. The only brands I know of are ARE and Leer.

Other things I'm curious about are any must have upgrades for a traveler/truck owner. How is the seat on long drives, do you feel you are cramped in the cab of a mid sized truck?

Other than the Tacoma I've been looking at 1st Gen Sprinter vans and other various work vans but I don't see them as being as dependable. My buddy has a lift at home and is the Sprinter Tech at Crown so getting one of these and getting it prepped for the trip would easily be doable and cost effective for me personally. I'm just worried about other things popping up while on the road. I don't want to eat into the savings I've put aside for when I return to normal life.

Thanks for any info anyone provides on this.

I know you mainly posted about Tacoma, but then posted about other vehicles. If this is something your going to be traveling in and living in, the # 1 vehicle that people use to live in/boondock in is the ford econoline vans. Mainly you buy the 18 passanger E350. you can get them for cheap and you just build up the inside for cheap. To include bed, cooking area, bathroom tables ect ect. Something you can full time live in. There cheap to get, get decent mpg, reliable, Parts are verywhere. Just me 2 cents.

Also you can get lift kits and 4x4 and diesel yada yada yada if you were worried about getting around. Theres a reason why these vehicles were used as fleet vehicles for every type of profession for god knows how many years.

Sounds like a hell of an adventure ahead. Are you planning on living in this vehicle during the excursions or just as a support unit? In this same genre I would definitely lump a 4Runner, obviously be aware of the issues with the frame when shopping around but good examples can definitely be found in that price range and they are some of the most off road capable reliable rides you can find.

Other than the cancer of frame rot that is taking my 98 4Runner SR5 to its grave the thing has gone through hell and back and been an incredible machine. Seats are very comfortable for long drives, easy to sleep in if need be, plenty of cargo room, and you would be hard pressed to find something that will handle the mud/rocks/whatever of trails better.

Good for you for getting out there and experiencing life!

I picked up a Chevy express van for work with the plan of using it for boondocking in the future. Personally I am more interested in live-in quality rather than long haul drive quality/comfort. Ive been talking with the owner of (http://reconcampers.com/) off an on for awhile for tips/ideas etc.

There are a ton of "youtubers" out there with all kinds of setups, I get hooked for hours on end getting ideas on youtube.

I would lean towards a express van/sprinter or Ford ecoline van. With your price range you can do alot.

Thanks for all of the other suggestions so far. This will be what I'm living in and sleeping in, cooking out of but I'll be outside adventuring and working more than I spend time inside of this vehicle. I'll be parked at a campground a majority of the year with about 50 miles per day of driving on average.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as long as it's reliable.

Also you mentioned you would live out it, would you sleep in the cab of a Tacoma, or pitch a tent in the bed of the truck?

I could do either or but I prefer to sleep in the truck/vehicle. I've also looked at pop up caps and tents that go on top of the cap.

I've also tossed around the idea of hauling an enclosed trailer.

As far as vehicles you can live out of my personal experience has been with a 1991 dodge airport van and a 1st gen sprinter. Both were our race bike haulers for the two different teams I did support for. For just pure space and quality of life, the sprinter was my favorite. It had so much room I could sleep between the race bikes. The cab was spartain and it was a pain to drive, and I wouldn't call it super reliable either as we had 3 or 4 major services on it the year and a half we used it, although one of them was for damage to the roof from trying to go into a parking garage that was too small. The only thing that scared me about it was if it broke down there wasn't a lot of sprinter parts support - couldn't just fix it at an autozone parking lot.

The Dodge van was awesome from a single person experience but sleeping two sucked. The back area was carpeted but that was both a blessing and a curse as it was better insulated but also soaked up the oil from the race bikes which meant we slept in oil. The dodge was fairly reliable except for one time where a clogged fuel line kept us from running for more than an hour at a time, but we fixed that in an autozone parking lot so you can pretty much find parts everywhere.

we did use a dakota crew cab pickup one year as our hauler and it was not comfortable to sleep in at all. As a general rule I wouldn't use a pickup as a vehicle I was going to sleep in unless it had a shell on the back and we couldn't haul race bikes with a shell.

Buddy of mine has a mid 2000s ford van. We used to to camp in NY a couple of times. it was pretty awesome. He used to have a much older 4wd ford van and that thing rocked except for the fuel mileage.

Why not a small RV? I forget the class sizes but you could pick one up for cheap and drive it. They all use standard Chevy, Ford, or Dodge engines. You get the comforts of home including the all important place to shit.

It would eat into gas but gas's cheap now so.

Man a Taco with a bed rack and Roof Top Tent is a pretty unbeatable setup. If you want to throw a little more money at it you can toss an ARB or other outdoor vehicle fridge in the bed and have that going for you...then cook, ect on the gate.

I feel this will be FAR superior to any crap van especially out west....that is where you really really may use and enjoy that 4x4...even the 2WD with the locker will be a nice ride...especially if you plan to tour around MOAB and all that wonderful rock.

Like dis:

c0fa64d3554f42fb1f3cc52b57204b14.jpg

I could see living in the truck route for an occasion weekend, but not on an extended time frame. Maybe im a princess but this will be your home for a year, can you imagine all your stuff in the cab of a pickup truck? and sleep in it lol

If you did do the truck route, the tent in the beds your best bet. downfall is you have to put it up and down every time you want to drive.

I follow a few people on youtube, and if i didnt go the married kid route, i would be traveling in a van!

My ideal setup is this but in a newer van. Get a small fridge and window ac unit and power it by a 200 watt solar with a few batteries. Small compost toilet in the back and a propane portable stove on the counter and you are set for full time

fast forward to 2:40

I'd go hightop ford econoline conversion van. My dad bought one new in like 2000, had a tv, fridge, curtains and the rear bench was powered and laid down into a bed. I'm sure they are like $5k now.

pick up trucks are just not secure. if you are going to live out of the vehicle you are going to be in areas where people would slit your throat just for a magazine, let alone steal a minifridge out of the bed.

I forgot to mention my father and I used to do camping trips in an old 2 door xj cherokee. for a dude and his small child it was a pretty perfect sleeper setup if you are only traveling for a week or so at a time. However, something like a 2 door tahoe or a bronco might be just the ticket - combine the 4wd capability of a pickup but the security and sleeping arrangements of a small van.

as far as carrying your toilet with you, we used to have a portable camping toilet, not the most private solution but we didn't have to squat into a hole or search for a bathroom.

If I go the truck route I'm either sleeping in the bed with a cap and throwing a roof rack on top or seriously considering hauling a trailer, leaving the trailer parked and using the truck for going around. I'd retrofit the trailer to my needs. I found a trailer with the internals built already and it's partially insulated for under 1500 and it's already in kentucky.

Most of my time will be spent in somewhat established areas so the toilet isn't necessary. I don't need an rv as I won't be spending much time inside the behicle. I'll still work a few days a week and then be outside the rest.

I like the van idea, I see a lot of them on my trips and I envy all of the room. The only complaint I've heard of with the truck ,is on rainy days you feel confined not being able to stand or cook comfortably anywhere. I'm definitely going to do more research on vans, I like the space they offer for days I'll be stuck inside of it.

Frame recalls for Tacoma's actually end tomorrow. I'd probably recommend trying to find one that had the frame already replaced, you could get a nice 05-10 Tacoma with a new frame for that price point. I've seen really no problems with the 6 cyl or the 4 cyl. We've seen a few 4WD actuators go bad, wheel bearings, that's really about it though. Solid trucks and they hold their value better than anything else out there.

If you need any parts let me know and I can hook you up.

How about an AWD Astro van? The 4.3 is damn near bulletproof if you can find a decent one. Parts are cheap and you could rebuild it in a junkyard. It would come with cushy seats and you could throw a cargo carrier on top for extra storage. Whatever you choose, post pics. Good luck