Tesla Model 3 livestream reveal

Mowgli1647545497

Haven't followed the conversation in detail but just seeing a Volt compared to any Tesla makes me LOL. No comparison IMO. Tesla still > Volt

That said, I'd be ready to jump on even a S-Series if the interiors were nicer. The new 3 Series seems pretty cool but hopefully again, the interiors are nicer. I don't want a backward move for the sake of an electric car move.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't followed the conversation in detail but just seeing a Volt compared to any Tesla makes me LOL. No comparison IMO. Tesla still > Volt

That said, I'd be ready to jump on even a S-Series if the interiors were nicer. The new 3 Series seems pretty cool but hopefully again, the interiors are nicer. I don't want a backward move for the sake of an electric car move.

No comparison in terms of dynamics, only olcomparing cost of materials and manufacturing of the Bolt to the 3.

The interior of the S is nowhere near the $100k competition, but the powertrain is fun. The 3 is even more spartan.

No comparison in terms of dynamics, only olcomparing cost of materials and manufacturing of the Bolt to the 3.

True on the dynamics; I have no clue on manufacturing costs other than I stand by the fact that all cars are overpriced.

The interior of the S is nowhere near the $100k competition, but the powertrain is fun. The 3 is even more spartan.

It's no where near a comparison to my S4 which stickered just under $60k new let alone the new B9's which inside are pretty freaking nice. Cost wise, I'd buy an RS7 anyday over their AWD offering.

I placed my order midday before launch and am a long time shareholder as well, so I may be biased but I look forward to the future of EVs and Tesla specifically.

I think one of the key components to the success of the Model 3 is the access to Teslas supercharger network. It significantly reduces the "range anxiety" that one would experience owning an EV.

My parents own a Volt and don't ever worry about range. They have driven to Denver and New York without concern. They did have to stop more often to fill up since its a smaller tank though. If they had a Bolt or any other pure electric vehicle, that trip would be incredibly long and trying to figure out where you can stop to charge for a while just wouldn't make it worth it.

To me its not about being "green". I think the future of automobiles is electric. Whether its a hydrogen fuel cell or a battery pack, this is the next step.

Now with Tesla and their delivery dates... yeah I'm not expecting mine until mid 2018 and thats if the stars align! Elon is not known for being on time. On the Q1 call he said that the Model X delay was due to a delay from a supplier. He has mentioned plenty of times that the X was way to complicated. The Model 3 is nothing near as complex.

Has anyone else put down a deposit on one?

The 3 isn't made for car guys. Its made maybe for car guy's spouses. Its a car for people who don't care about cars. And that's ok.

But I absolutely would compare a Tesla to a Bolt or a Volt. Brush aside the Apple-like hype reality-distortion bubble, and the one-tricky-pony-dig-race-trick and they're just ok cars with ...questionable... features. For a car guy.

As a few posters' above have pointed out, the interior quality is nothing to write home about. There's an S across from me in our cul-de-sac. Been in that car many times. Drove it several times. Its nice, but at best I'd rate its interior on par with my wife's Saab 93 (which cost 1/3 its price). At best.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bagging on the cars, or the company. I wish the company major success. The world needs the transition.

But what I *am* is allergic to is hype. The Hype makes me sick about Apple, makes me sick about Tesla.

This is really only tangentially related since it's a Model S, but there was a head-on-collision last night on 270 involving a Tesla and a 2008 Cobalt. The Cobalt was being driven in the wrong direction by a 24 year old woman who died. The Tesla driver was treated at the scene, minor injuries. Obviously the pictures aren't great, but just look at the condition of each car...the Tesla looks nearly untouched for a high-speed hit, and that Cobalt is literally 100% fucked.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/04/08/serious-crash-shuts-down-part-of-i-270-in-west-columbus/

Again, I'm a pretty hardcore Tesla hater but the crash safety cannot be denied. Damn.

I'm not even phased by people driving the wrong way on Columbus highways anymore. Nice to see the Tesla hold up like that, and thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of the deceased.

I watched an Uber driver going the wrong way on 4th st last night then try to pull a U-turn across traffic to correct himself. Never had a bad experience with Uber but now I'm concerned...

I watched an Uber driver going the wrong way on 4th st last night then try to pull a U-turn across traffic to correct himself. Never had a bad experience with Uber but now I'm concerned...

We had one at PRI joke about Russian dash cam videos and then drive on the sidewalk on a one way street, good times.

Safety is crucial to me now. A couple years back my wife was doing 50mph and t-boned a car that ran a stop sign. It was pretty nasty. Even though she was transported to the hospital she was released after a few hours. The other lady wasn't quite as lucky and was there for a week. We take everything for granted and could lose it all in the blink of an eye. Ever since that incident safety is my number one priority. You never know what is going to happen.

The Tesla with a gigantic crumple zone in the front is key.