Wheel protactant., detail guys

Tindall2006

I am getting some new rims for my vette, wondering what I should do to protect them?

Simple car wax? Some type of wheel sealer? Opti seal?

I live in an apartment so washing is out of the question. I normally take a bucket to the spray car wash and fill it there, use my own sponge to wash off the car then rinse it with the car wash sprayer.

I use Poor Boys World wheel sealant. It seems to shed brake dust and other road grime well. You get a lot of applications out of the container. Apply it to the inner barrels before you put the wheels on the car and you'll be able to keep them clean with a wash brush.

Sealant http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Wheel-Sealant-P40/8-oz-S1/

http://i.imgur.com/bq9w86d.jpg

brush http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/E-Z-Detail-Brush-P273/Full-Size-S1/

http://i.imgur.com/vWs4kX3.png

I use Poor Boys World wheel sealant. It seems to shed brake dust and other road grime well. You get a lot of applications out of the container. Apply it to the inner barrels before you put the wheels on the car and you'll be able to keep them clean with a wash brush.

Sealant http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Wheel-Sealant-P40/8-oz-S1/

http://i.imgur.com/bq9w86d.jpg

Does this work well on satin finishes?

I'm not sure what you mean by satin. Everything I've used it on has had gloss clear coat. I've used it on at least 10 or more different cars I've had without issue though. Here's my old mustang and my ram to give you an idea of the finishes.

http://imgur.com/jVgumcKl.jpg

http://imgur.com/QvmNiAml.jpg

Any wheel wax will really go a long way to help...but you are still going to get dust... If they are always getting really bad, look into new brake pads.

Also, once having to live in an apartment, they sell battery operated 'power washers' which are not that powerful but work quite well in a parking lot. I used to use a Nomad 18V one. Held 3.5 gallons and then I would actually use one or two gallons of distilled water to rinse with. I could take my time, and not have to rush my washes based on the timer at the DIY wash. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Multipurpose-Portable-Spray-Washer/dp/B00R0GBKR4

To the OP'er, Coating wise I think any of them would be good. Waxes and Sealers just don't seem to hold up to the heat and punishment of brake craps hitting them. Coating wise, I would look at Wolfgang's Uber Ceramic Kit. It's about the easiest to apply and will work on the wheels and painted surfaces.

Also, once having to live in an apartment, they sell battery operated 'power washers' which are not that powerful but work quite well in a parking lot. I used to use a Nomad 18V one. Held 3.5 gallons and then I would actually use one or two gallons of distilled water to rinse with. I could take my time, and not have to rush my washes based on the timer at the DIY wash. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Multipurpose-Portable-Spray-Washer/dp/B00R0GBKR4

I use this set up for my rinseless washes and it's perfect. I have access to a hose and what not at the house, but honestly, Wolfgang Uber Rinseless and this set up with the below process is perfect. Been using it on my vehicles since last summer. Actually, it's faster than a traditional 2 bucket method and so far as worries about scratches.....NONE. Anyone who has seen my car at CC&C can attest.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc%20Detailing/Sprayer_zpstrslm0nm.jpg

In the case of traditional hose and bucket washing the biggest benefit is being able to flush away dirt and debris out of the cracks and crevices, etc. However, for washing the surfaces, fenders, hood, roof, etc. the two systems are essentially the same. In a no-rinse situation with a very dirty car, a simple trip to the power wash DIY or automated no-touch system is fine. I like to bring my 1gal garden sprayer with some Rinseless Solution and you're ready to go. I pre-soak the entire car prior to entering the bay. IMO the ONR helps encapsulate and pre-soak the dirt for much easier and thorough removal when it’s blasted with high pressure.

After the blasting, I drive home and then proceed with my rinseless wash. I use about 2-3 gals in total. I use The key thing about a no-rinse is the solution is extra slick and really does encapsulate the dirt. You can really feel the lubricity when washing or if you were to dry an clean portion of the car with a microfiber towel. I also use a de-ionized / distilled water which really helps reduce any streaks and/spots. Solution wise, I’ve fallen in love with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless. It’s far better than ONR in my opinion and is well worth trying if you’ve not done so.

1. Fill a garden or powered Sprayer of your choice with Rinseless Solution
  2. Fill a 3 gal bucket with about 1 gal. of Rinseless Solution
  3. Insure I have a stack of 16" x 16" Eagle Edgeless Professional Super Plush 480gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels.

On my 4 door sedan the large plush towels go quite far. I use anywhere between 4-8 for the entire car depending on how dirty it is. Key is to fold them into four then make one more fold so that you can get a total of 16 completely clean/fresh passes out of a single towel. These hold lots of solution and are VERY Plush.

Both hose/buck and No-Rinse involve a pre-rinse and soak. In the case of a no-rinse system I use a garden sprayer to pre-soak the car with a fine to medium spray pattern being sure to cover every bit of dirt/panel. If you have the room in a garage and don’t mind a mist, you can even use a gravity fed system to feed an electric pressure sprayer and do the same thing. I pre-soak then wash in 5 stages; essentially the same as I do with a hose/bucket in the summer.

1. Wheels – Prevents splashing of nasty dirt up on a clean car
  2. Front clip/nose and trunk/tail next as rinsing them tends to splash the hood/trunk
  3. Hood-roof-trunk, windows. I do windows last in this case since they don’t scratch.
  4. Side 1; one panel at a time top to bottom
  5. Side 2; same

On the sides of the vehicle I tend to do all the top surfaces first then the bottoms being sure to put the lower portion dirty rags in the to-clean bucket quickly.

Steps.

1. Pre-soak, waiting a few minutes for the dirt to be encapsulated, oils and dirt to be broken up and solution to really work.
  2. Quick spray down once more just prior to washing the panel to wash away as much as I can and to get the dirt to flow DOWN/OFF the car. Spray top to bottom
  3. Wipe from top down using only a single pass per clean side or section of a towel. Each towel can be folded to a clean section allowing 16 passes per towel. More than enough for the entire panel or section. Keep the rage sopping wet and splash more solution on the rage if needed.
  4. Last thing after each panel is washed is I give it another quick spray down top to bottom in order to push/wash away as much debris as I can. My powered sprayer is awesome for this as when combined with a good fan style spray tip it really works well at rinsing off any remaining aftermath.

I personally do not dry the panels one at a time as I go. Many do, but I don’t. Since I use distilled water, the clean panels blot dry easily and don’t tend to leave any drips or spots but if they do, a final wipe off with a clean dry MF Towel is all that’s needed.

Drying is the key IMO to keeping a car scratch/swirl free. IMO it causes more damage than a poor wash technique as when washing at least there’s more lubricity involved. When I do use a towel, I use a waffle weave towel and I NEVER drag it across the paint. I lay it out and blot it with pressure from my arm, pick up and move it and repeat. ANY wiping is only done with a clean, damp mf and No-rinse treated towel.

Once done I am a huge believer in a high quality detail spray and sealant. Both not only give the car a final spotless and flawless look but help insure future dirt has a layer of something there to help when pre-soaking the next wash cycle.

Wow, that was a great post. I will look into the wofgang kit... I just bought the rinsless wash and want to try it. That sprayer is fancy, but pricy.. I am going to stick with the two bucket for now as my paint is very very crappy, and the car needs a repaint anyways due to a few spots of damage. Though I am trying to get into a better care habbit incase I ever do repaint it!

Wow, that was a great post. I will look into the wofgang kit... I just bought the rinsless wash and want to try it. That sprayer is fancy, but pricy.. I am going to stick with the two bucket for now as my paint is very very crappy, and the car needs a repaint anyways due to a few spots of damage. !

here's my fallback $20 from amazon. I use this one a lot as the above is nice for when I'm stuck at the mother in laws on a Sunday or when it is really dirty and needs a bit of force behind the spray.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc%20Detailing/Amazon_zpswxzgfcu0.jpg

Drying is the key IMO to keeping a car scratch/swirl free. IMO it causes more damage than a poor wash technique as when washing at least there’s more lubricity involved. When I do use a towel, I use a waffle weave towel and I NEVER drag it across the paint. I lay it out and blot it with pressure from my arm, pick up and move it and repeat. ANY wiping is only done with a clean, damp mf and No-rinse treated towel.

Once done I am a huge believer in a high quality detail spray and sealant. Both not only give the car a final spotless and flawless look but help insure future dirt has a layer of something there to help when pre-soaking the next wash cycle.

Have you watched any of the AMMO detailing vids on Youtube? Pretty good stuff. I tried the 'wet' drying method last week...has changed my life.

See, AMMO sells this like $30 stuff you use when you dry your car. Now I am sure that works wonders...but I am not going to order it. I have always enjoyed using the Wax-as-you-dry stuff as I like the lubrication and upkeep it does on my wax job.

Turns out the key is to use a clean microfiber and completely wet it. Wring it out and then I hit it with a squirt or two of the wax....it effortlessly glides across the paint and dries better than a chamois. I cannot believe how much water a damp 12 x12 or 16x16 microfiber holds. Really amazing, and I hate that I didnt figure that out YEARS ago.

Have you watched any of the AMMO detailing vids on Youtube? Pretty good stuff. I tried the 'wet' drying method last week...has changed my life.

Haha! I have. I like his vids but like Chem Guys, he takes forever and a year to sum up things. 20 minutes on how to clean your windows....in a video! I have short attention span theater syndrome. :o

The wet drying is why I like the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless product. You can dampen a towel with it one you've blotted the 95% of the water and then use that damp towel to add gloss and safely wipe it. Any trace particals that could scratch the car were likely removed during the blotting phase and IF any remain, the damn rinse towel will protect you. Good stuff.

See, AMMO sells this like $30 stuff you use when you dry your car. Now I am sure that works wonders...but I am not going to order it. I have always enjoyed using the Wax-as-you-dry stuff as I like the lubrication and upkeep it does on my wax job.

Try the Uber rinseless and mix it up as a detail spray, 3oz to a gal and use that. I can send you some if you want just PM me an addy. I have a gal of it :)

Turns out the key is to use a clean microfiber and completely wet it. Wring it out and then I hit it with a squirt or two of the wax....it effortlessly glides across the paint and dries better than a chamois. I cannot believe how much water a damp 12 x12 or 16x16 microfiber holds. Really amazing, and I hate that I didnt figure that out YEARS ago.

I feel the same way. I never used the above Rinseless product before and when I finally did things "clicked" for me. Meguiar's D114 is like that too. Some swear by it. I'm going to swap some W. Uber for D114 with a local guy so we can each try the others products. $5 says I'll prolly end up with a new purchase after :p

That is interesting stuff. I dont really have any need for rinseless washing in the warmer months and I am typically dealing with dirt and mud on the FJ anyway. Still might try it out as a wash additive or to help with drying as you noted. Extra gloss is always nice!

That is interesting stuff. I dont really have any need for rinseless washing in the warmer months and I am typically dealing with dirt and mud on the FJ anyway. Still might try it out as a wash additive or to help with drying as you noted. Extra gloss is always nice!

Gotcha. Works great as a streak free drying aid. The added lubricity is most certainly felt and on black, that's key. I also like that it leaves the surface very slick like a detail spray. The big advantage is that it doesn't seem to attack dust or pollen. I can drive down the street after using detail spray and I'll find blades of grass from the weekend yard care crews clinging to the doors. Not the case with Uber.

• 4 weeks later...
Haha! I have. I like his vids but like Chem Guys, he takes forever and a year to sum up things. 20 minutes on how to clean your windows....in a video! I have short attention span theater syndrome. :o

The wet drying is why I like the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless product. You can dampen a towel with it one you've blotted the 95% of the water and then use that damp towel to add gloss and safely wipe it. Any trace particals that could scratch the car were likely removed during the blotting phase and IF any remain, the damn rinse towel will protect you. Good stuff.

Try the Uber rinseless and mix it up as a detail spray, 3oz to a gal and use that. I can send you some if you want just PM me an addy. I have a gal of it :)

I feel the same way. I never used the above Rinseless product before and when I finally did things "clicked" for me. Meguiar's D114 is like that too. Some swear by it. I'm going to swap some W. Uber for D114 with a local guy so we can each try the others products. $5 says I'll prolly end up with a new purchase after :p

Used the Uber rinsless wash today at the car wash. Basically rinsed the car off and got some water for my bucket, used a sponge from lowes (reccomended sponge from autogeek.com) and did a quick wipe down, then finished with another rinse and used a chamois to dry.

Car looks great! I do need to get in the habit of a better wash technique though. I am going to try yours in the future. I need to look more into drying than anything.

Used the Uber rinsless wash today at the car wash. Basically rinsed the car off and got some water for my bucket, used a sponge from lowes (reccomended sponge from autogeek.com) and did a quick wipe down, then finished with another rinse and used a chamois to dry.

Car looks great! I do need to get in the habit of a better wash technique though. I am going to try yours in the future. I need to look more into drying than anything.

Glad it worked out.

Definitely ditch the sponge and move to these 480gsm MF Towels. You'll thank me. Did my entire car in the garage this morning with only 4 of them. Spotless 10/10 results.

Drying wise, blot, don't wipe. At least and espcially on the first pass. Get 2-3 larger MF drying towells. Then pick up some 16x16 Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Towelhttp://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2270_81. Mist those with Uber mixed in a spray bottle and always use them damp. Give the car a final wipe down and you'll be done. Safe and perfect.

Let me know if you have Q's.

Glad it worked out.

Definitely ditch the sponge and move to these 480gsm MF Towels. You'll thank me. Did my entire car in the garage this morning with only 4 of them. Spotless 10/10 results.

Drying wise, blot, don't wipe. At least and espcially on the first pass. Get 2-3 larger MF drying towells. Then pick up some 16x16 Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Towelhttp://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2270_81. Mist those with Uber mixed in a spray bottle and always use them damp. Give the car a final wipe down and you'll be done. Safe and perfect.

Let me know if you have Q's.

So I am washing the car, Blot drying, then basically going over it again with the uber mixed as a quick detailer? Spraying on the rag and not the car?

Also, I know you showed the uber creamic coating stuff.. but that is super high dollar (150) I think. Have you over used the opti coat? They seem to have good reviews on the auto geek. It is the same stuff/idea? Any experience with it? http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Edited by Tindall2006