Renting a house

jerrodh

I'm going through the same thing. Apartment prices are stupid high and might as well buy a house, but not in line for what I want to do right now.

I'm looking in Delaware.

I wound up saying fuck it and bought a home. My mortgage payment is the same/less a rental was going to be.

I wound up saying fuck it and bought a home. My mortgage payment is the same/less a rental was going to be.

Makes sense, as most people renting out a house are trying to pay a mortgage. I'd say you made the right call if you plan to be there long enough to gain equity.

^ This. I only put $5k down on a $125k house, and my monthly mortgage payment for a 1600 sq ft house in Hilliard is the same as a 1000 sq ft apartment in Galloway.

Before I bought the house I briefly looked into renting one for a bit and gave up. Options are limited, and they are all too fucking expensive. Even with a very small down payment on the house, it was an easy call to make.

There are Facebook sites for it. Like this one is "Clintonville for Rent"...I think its private though until you ask to join. Maybe search out whatever area you are looking at.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435476746719985/...here is one example posted, even though it isnt Clintonville. . http://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/mainmenu.cgi?cmd=url+other/run_public_link.html&public_link_tech_id=17uolq87heoj&s=17&id=1&cid=1

We found ours by driving around...just got lucky. I had reluctantly called the number thinking there was no way we could live on the street we are, but the price was ok. You gotta find them before they put them on Craigslist.

I know a few realtors that are also working on finding rental properties. They usually have a heads up on what's available or coming soon compared to what you would find online.

PM me if you would like a contact.

Thanks!

Marc

Makes sense, as most people renting out a house are trying to pay a mortgage. I'd say you made the right call if you plan to be there long enough to gain equity.

The only downside I have found so far really is the fact I kind of want to move out of my current area. If I were renting a home or apartment I could just pack up and move. Now If I wanted to move I have to sell first. I had a nasty breakup recently and would like to get out of the small town I live in currently.