Student loans

smokin5s

Anyone know where any good resources are to get student loans? My daughter wants to go to college but also wants to live on her own (to live with her significant other which I'm not ok with her significant other living under my roof sharing a room with her). I've heard of people who get loans that also help with rent, etc... Normally I would say go to the guidance counselors like I remember doing when I was younger but the school she's wanting to go to said they don't really have an options for student loans. She wants to do cosmetology, but we are finding financial assistance difficult. Especially with my current salary. Any recommendations of where we can look?

Ideally you want as many Federal vs Private as possible. Rates are much better. That said, I think we moved over some of my wifes private loans to ECSI from Wells Fargo. We got screwed on the rates from WF. ECSI were not bad. We also have loans with MOHELA, Navient, and Great Lakes. I dont even remember which are private and which are Federal at this point lol, but I think they are probably all private companies that might service Federal student loans

Ideally you want not student loans at all. Is the military an option? National Guard will pay tuition, and she would make about $550 as a student, only working two days a month. There are many other benefits too, that would save her a lot of money.

Sorry, had to edit my original post b/c it was off-topic. She should try to search for Grants first and foremost, then Gov backed student loans before fully private loans. However I have noticed lately that some private loans actually have more favorable interest rates than the Gov.

Do you plan on paying all of her education? or trying to split it with her? I would NOT recommend getting a loan to pay for living expenses. That's an easy way to put your daughter in a ton of debt for something that could've been paid for with a part time job. What school is she looking at, they have to have financing options available.

I get the "not living with significant other" issue but is it worth it for you to put up with them living together with you- than her living apart -- and possibly getting screwed financially when/if they break up.

either way they plan to live together.

I get the "not living with significant other" issue but is it worth it for you to put up with them living together with you- than her living apart -- and possibly getting screwed financially when/if they break up.

Gonna be some either way. :lolguy:

Seems like a real stupid way to rack up useless debt if you ask me. Never heard of people getting student loans for cosmetology school either. Goodluck, hope you can find something that works.

Why does she need to move out to go to cosmetology school? It's just going to lead to her getting distracted and dropping out once she gets that loan money. Tell her to stay living with you and make her understand that paying loans back suck. My ex did the whole loans for cosmetology school and rent thing...yeah...she is paying like $250/month for that now. Free rent sounds cool until you gotta pay it back.

Why does she need to move out to go to cosmetology school? It's just going to lead to her getting distracted and dropping out once she gets that loan money. Tell her to stay living with you and make her understand that paying loans back suck. My ex did the whole loans for cosmetology school and rent thing...yeah...she is paying like $250/month for that now. Free rent sounds cool until you gotta pay it back.

She wants to live with with her boyfriend. Can't do that at dads house.

Damn, she got off easy. I've been paying $570 a month since 2011 and still owe $28k. And I lived at home.

Ideally you want not student loans at all. Is the military an option? National Guard will pay tuition, and she would make about $550 as a student, only working two days a month. There are many other benefits too, that would save her a lot of money.

LOL, ya, she's not going into the armed forces

Sorry, had to edit my original post b/c it was off-topic. She should try to search for Grants first and foremost, then Gov backed student loans before fully private loans. However I have noticed lately that some private loans actually have more favorable interest rates than the Gov.

Do you plan on paying all of her education? or trying to split it with her? I would NOT recommend getting a loan to pay for living expenses. That's an easy way to put your daughter in a ton of debt for something that could've been paid for with a part time job. What school is she looking at, they have to have financing options available.

We are obviously wanting grants if at all possible, I just don't know where to even look to be honest. I went to DeVry back in 97-99 so I don't really remember much about how you'd even do this now, and we had guidance councelors that helped us with all of this.

As far as paying, I have mixed emotions, I will help her when I can, but I had to pay for my own education and I feel I came out stronger because of it. At some point, we are responsible for ourselves as adults and I remember seeing other kids at school who got free rides and they didn't take their education nearly as serious as I did.

She does have a part time job. She's kind of lazy and I'm sure she will use schooling as an excuse to be even lazier. She wants to do cosmetology, She's looked at a few schools and they have all pretty much told her financial assistance is all on her.

Yes, it's just not going to happen. She can live with us if she wants, but I'm not going to pay for another kid to live under my roof and get a free ride while fucking my daughter under my roof... that's murder material right there as far as I'm concerned.

Gonna be some either way. :lolguy:

Seems like a real stupid way to rack up useless debt if you ask me. Never heard of people getting student loans for cosmetology school either. Goodluck, hope you can find something that works.

Do you know how expensive the school is??? I was shocked at how expensive it is.

Tell them to get a job, then apply for financial aid through the school.

No sense in spoon feeding.

Agreed, and they both have jobs. Her girlfriend seems to have a better work ethic than she does and works more hours. Like I said, she's kinda lazy.

I agree, she moved out about 4 months ago to live with her girlfriend and another couple. The other couple is now saying they are moving out, and she's concerned about being able to pay for her rent / utilities and go to school. We will try to help her as much as possible, but I have bills to pay as well... she's 18, time to stand on her own feet if she doesn't want to live with daddy's rules.

She wants to do cosmetology, She's looked at a few schools and they have all pretty much told her financial assistance is all on her.

That's casue cosmetology schools usually kind of a joke. Its not really a "degree" that's why you don't find much of anything. Its more of a specialty type schooling, and its barely even that. Sounds like she might need to up her part time job to pay for her "school" so she can go work at great clips for a few years.

Do you know how expensive the school is??? I was shocked at how expensive it is.

Yes I know how expensive school is. Not sure how expensive cosmetology school is, cant say ive ever looked into that. :marc:

That's casue cosmetology schools usually kind of a joke. Its not really a "degree" that's why you don't find much of anything. Its more of a specialty type schooling, and its barely even that. Sounds like she might need to up her part time job to pay for her "school" so she can go work at great clips for a few years.

Yes I know how expensive school is. Not sure how expensive cosmetology school is, cant say ive ever looked into that. :marc:

If that's what she wants to do in the future, I'm not going to make a joke of it man. As a father you want your kids to be successful and happy. She's not looking for a great clips job, she's look for a job more at the Penzone level or even has talked about wanting to do makeup, etc... for movies, plays, etc... Don't assume people want a minimum wage job or think their job is a joke. Hell, my degree is at DeVry and people look at DeVry as a joke as well. But it's never been a hinderance and only has helped me with job searches when needed.

If that's what she wants to do in the future, I'm not going to make a joke of it man. As a father you want your kids to be successful and happy. She's not looking for a great clips job, she's look for a job more at the Penzone level or even has talked about wanting to do makeup, etc... for movies, plays, etc... Don't assume people want a minimum wage job or think their job is a joke. Hell, my degree is at DeVry and people look at DeVry as a joke as well. But it's never been a hinderance and only has helped me with job searches when needed.

I don't think he meant your daughter's desired profession is a joke, I think he meant the schooling is usually a joke. Kind of like going to college to be a medical assistant...kind of dumb.

I also went to DeVry and I struggle with the stigma that school comes with, however my wife went to OSU and learned a bunch of useless shit sprinkled in with her degree- I didn't have any of that BS and had more time to focus on my actual major.

Not knocking her choice of career path, and good for her for wanting to actually pursue it, most people that do, do it and go don't want to go to college and just want to cut hair and lounge around(maybe ive dated too many lazy hair stylists :lol:)

I don't think he meant your daughter's desired profession is a joke, I think he meant the schooling is usually a joke. Kind of like going to college to be a medical assistant...kind of dumb.

That's what I was meaning, sorry if it came off as a stab.

http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/beauty.htm

http://beautyschools.org/careers-in-beauty/grants_scholarships/

http://www.studentgrants.org/beauty-school/

http://www.collegesanddegrees.com/programs/cosmetology/scholarships-grants

All with a quick google search of Grants for Cosmetology

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/howpay.php

Our survey of 55 cosmetology schools says that the cost of cosmetology averages between $10,000 and $20,000. The same comprehensive cosmetology program in a rural area could cost closer to low as $6,500.

if she's going to work at any of the bigger salons and make some REAL money- she needs to go to somehwere like Aveda, Paul Mitchell or somwhere they teach GOOD techniques, not just the getting by techniques.

As someone who spends a rediculous amout of money per instance on her hair.. I can tell you this much.. It pays to have a good degree, so i can walk away feeling great about my hair.

Have her Call Kenneths or Penzones and ask to speak to a director and get some direction on where a salon like that would look for schooling from and what they want out of thier employees.

probably wouldnt hurt for her to get a job at one of the bigger salons too so she can see what working in that field is like.

Government backed student loans are limited to $5,500/year for the first two years. She may be able to double that if you are unable/unwilling to contribute any parent loan. Your daughter would have to get approved for that through the feds. Even that is based on estimated cost of attendance from the school's finance office. Beyond that, all you have are private student loans from banks like Chase etc.. However, an 18 year old is unlikely to be able to qualify without a co-signer. As I am sure you know, she is making this a much harder road for herself trying to live on her own at the same time. It sucks paying interest and payments on loans for the next 20 years that were used for living expenses.

Not knocking her choice of career path, and good for her for wanting to actually pursue it, most people that do, do it and go don't want to go to college and just want to cut hair and lounge around(maybe ive dated too many lazy hair stylists :lol:)

That's what I was meaning, sorry if it came off as a stab.

No worries. I'm touchy when it comes to my kids.

Government backed student loans are limited to $5,500/year for the first two years. She may be able to double that if you are unable/unwilling to contribute any parent loan. Your daughter would have to get approved for that through the feds. Even that is based on estimated cost of attendance from the school's finance office. Beyond that, all you have are private student loans from banks like Chase etc.. However, an 18 year old is unlikely to be able to qualify without a co-signer. As I am sure you know, she is making this a much harder road for herself trying to live on her own at the same time. It sucks paying interest and payments on loans for the next 20 years that were used for living expenses.

true, however I THINK they take into account the type of schooling and/or actual major you're persuading so that might be a hindrance to what she's aiming for also.

Personally, I would make a commitment for some sort of cost of schooling and nothing more. Say you'll provide her books and/or supplies (shears, clips, all the things necessary to do her job) but anything past that she has to take responsibility for. You've offered her to live in your home which would save her hundreds of dollars a month if not thousands over the course of her schooling so that's pretty substantial.

And I totally agree with not letting the boyfriend live in your home. WTF were they thinking when they asked that?

http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/beauty.htm

http://beautyschools.org/careers-in-beauty/grants_scholarships/

http://www.studentgrants.org/beauty-school/

http://www.collegesanddegrees.com/programs/cosmetology/scholarships-grants

All with a quick google search of Grants for Cosmetology

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/howpay.php

if she's going to work at any of the bigger salons and make some REAL money- she needs to go to somehwere like Aveda, Paul Mitchell or somwhere they teach GOOD techniques, not just the getting by techniques.

As someone who spends a rediculous amout of money per instance on her hair.. I can tell you this much.. It pays to have a good degree, so i can walk away feeling great about my hair.

Have her Call Kenneths or Penzones and ask to speak to a director and get some direction on where a salon like that would look for schooling from and what they want out of thier employees.

probably wouldnt hurt for her to get a job at one of the bigger salons too so she can see what working in that field is like.

my best friend's wife is a senior director at Penzone's. My daughter asked me last night if she would think his wife would be up for talking to her.