Full House Stereo System

jeffro

The house we moved into in December came equipped with several ceiling speakers sprinkled throughout the house. All speaker wires were pulled back up into the ceiling and left by the previous owners. In addition to these ceiling speakers, I want to add a set of out door speakers for our patio. The question is, what is the best way to drive these speakers? Realistically, just an aux input would do, but obviously you cant just solder an auxiliary input to speaker wires. Ideally, id like to tie both sets of speakers into one unit and be able to switch between indoor, outdoor, or both at the same time. I could use a big honkin receiver, but those are unsightly unless hidden in a closet or cabinet.

Not really looking for some million dollar set up, just something to get me going.

The house we moved into in December came equipped with several ceiling speakers sprinkled throughout the house. All speaker wires were pulled back up into the ceiling and left by the previous owners. In addition to these ceiling speakers, I want to add a set of out door speakers for our patio. The question is, what is the best way to drive these speakers? Realistically, just an aux input would do, but obviously you cant just solder an auxiliary input to speaker wires. Ideally, id like to tie both sets of speakers into one unit and be able to switch between indoor, outdoor, or both at the same time. I could use a big honkin receiver, but those are unsightly unless hidden in a closet or cabinet.

Not really looking for some million dollar set up, just something to get me going.

On the outdoor set up I went out and bought two of the Big Blue Speakers from Brookstone. They aren't cheap but are BTCompatible, sound amazing, are portable and hold a charge that lasts forever. So much easier to move them around and pull them out when having summer cookouts. 360* sound from them too. I pulled down our deck speakes and went this route last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/20837a9f102595ef48cf15bc64e1349c.jpg

For outdoor or where ever I just bought one of these. They sound amazing and work for hours on a full charge. Bonus you can take it with you, and connects to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many speakers? Planning on a sub?

Sounds like a receiver that has input options would cover your bases.

total of 5 speakers. 3 indoor, 2 outdoor. No sub.

I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2CH-200W-Power-HiFi-Stereo-AMP-Amplifier-Car-Home-MP3-FM-Audio-Player-Mini-US-/222084922021?hash=item33b54afaa5:g:vW4AAMXQUmFSgZaS

Should do everything i need it to.

I would go to the thrift store, get whatever cheap amp I can find, then get an audio Chromecast to hook up to it.

been keeping an eye out but no luck.

On the outdoor set up I went out and bought two of the Big Blue Speakers from Brookstone. They aren't cheap but are BTCompatible, sound amazing, are portable and hold a charge that lasts forever. So much easier to move them around and pull them out when having summer cookouts. 360* sound from them too. I pulled down our deck speakes and went this route last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

i may have to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

I already have a portable bluetooth speaker that puts out good sound, but im looking for something permanent.

I'd check impedance on the speakers first. That thing you linked only pushes 20w at 2ohms. Typical home theater speaker is 6ohm. It'll be very gutless and very shitty sounding. Better off scoring a cheap 2 channel receiver from CL for $50. I get that it's big and ugly, but you can hide it somewhere, and anything of equal power and SQ in a small package will cost some $$. It's the actual amp you're really paying for, not any kind of processing.