Mind blown - Teen discovers Mayan city(?)

zeitgeist57

OK...so someone please explain this one to me...

http://gizmodo.com/teen-discovers-lost-maya-city-using-ancient-star-maps-1775735999

So, the theory from the Canadian kid that the location of ancient Mayan cities overlay perfectly with major stars in the constellations (117 cities in total) isn't what shocks me. Taking it further...how in the holy mega-Barbara Streisand Wide Wide World of Sports did the correlation exist in the first place???

How did Mayan civilizations plot their cities based on constellations, having no satellite imagery? If this was just a coincidence, that's equally amazing that the constellations provided an almost exact pinpoint on where the lost city was!

I'm trying to wrap my head around this article...

http://gizmodo.com/teen-discovers-lost-maya-city-using-ancient-star-maps-1775735999

So, the theory from the Canadian kid that the location of ancient Mayan cities overlay perfectly with major stars in the constellations (117 cities in total) isn't what shocks me. Taking it further...how in the holy mega-Barbara Streisand Wide Wide World of Sports did the correlation exist in the first place???

How did Mayan civilizations plot their cities based on constellations, having no satellite imagery? If this was just a coincidence, that's equally amazing that the constellations provided an almost exact pinpoint on where the lost city was!

http://www.troll.me/images/aliens-guy/im-not-saying-that-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens.jpg

So there was a good post about this on Reddit.

Basically this area has so many ruins that you could draw a smiley face or whatever you wanted and have points end up on ruins.

Also the reported height would be taller than any of the Egyptian pyramids, in an area that has been heavily studied. It's highly unlikely it has been missed up to this point, chances are it smaller but just on a hill. It has also not been really confirmed that it has never been recorded before.

He could have got the same media response by "building" a clock.

It's amazing what you can do without television and internet access for one week. Just imagine that for hundreds if not thousands of years. We only have electricity for the last hundred years or so and see how advanced we got.

We only have smart phones for the last 10-15 years and see how dumb we all got.

Last I heard there were lots of suspected ruins swallowed up by the jungle yet to be discovered. The don't need a kick-starter...they should just slash and burn their way in there...not only pay for the project but make a buck as well :p

I don't think we give a lot of ancient civilizations enough credit, I think most were either more advanced than believed or at least they really knew how to fully utilize whatever tools they had.

Astronomy, stargazing....whatever you want to call it was probably the most advanced of all the sciences from antiquity. For thousands of years it was the primary means of navigation that allowed large wind powered vessels to sail thousands of miles across vast oceans and hit tiny islands with fairly good accuracy. The majority of our current knowledge of the constellations is hundreds if not thousands of years old.

There is this underlying misconception that people in the past are intellectually inferior to people of today. From a problem solving perspective that is just not true (from an access to information perspective it might be a little true). Many of the high intellectual concepts we learn as part of fundamental education, like Euclidean geometry, are very very old.

I think coaster has it right too...we really don't know the size of Mayan civilization because the records that survived the ages were the mostly unreliable reports of the Spanish conquistadores. It could be that there are so many ruins that you could throw a dart at a map and hit something ancient and lost.

Have you been to Chitzenitza? A snake forms on the stairwell on the spring equinox only! It was built in 600AD.......the Mayans were freaking monsters with the stars. They also built a building with 3 holes in the roof that line up with 3 planets once a year to tell them when you plant crops. Aliens?

You can tell who read the whole article here. ;)

And a little something to add: It's already been determined why the Mayans built where they did. And the supposed lack of water is no longer a mystery. (They're called cenotes.)

There are so many ruins buried in the jungle, they can't even explore or excavate them all and many remain buried by forest. Those are among the 100's they've know about. There are plenty more out there, I'm sure.