Building a house?

Limitedslip7

A basic Wayne Home is about $75/sq ft in Central Ohio

That is a little bit of an unfair example. Their smallest home comes in at about $99/sqft in Delaware County...whereas one of their larger homes comes in at about $76/sqft without land.

These would also include the most basic of amenities...that I would wager less than 5% of buyers select.

-Marc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a little bit of an unfair example. Their smallest home comes in at about $99/sqft in Delaware County...whereas one of their larger homes comes in at about $76/sqft without land.

These would also include the most basic of amenities...that I would wager less than 5% of buyers select.

-Marc

LJ cant be wrong. You have not paid close enough attention YA HEARD.

-Marc

There are a lot of Schumacher homes in that range for Delaware county, and they come with higher basic finishes.

LJ cant be wrong. You have not paid close enough attention YA HEARD.

Well, the fact that there are plenty of builders who build in that range in central Ohio, it's not wrong.

We had An MI build in Westerville (Delaware County) next to Westerville North in 2012, house has been great so far. I was there every single day during the build, seriously never missed a day. I lost 35 lbs that summer from stress. LOL Our house came in at $97 sqft (with tiny lot), and we added $75,000 in upgrades from base price. 3500 sqft home.

There are a lot of Schumacher homes in that range for Delaware county, and they come with higher basic finishes.

:wtf: I do a lot of business with Schumacher and that is simply not the case? I don't know...maybe my buyers just want the best of everything... :lol:

Well, the fact that there are plenty of builders who build in that range in central Ohio, it's not wrong.

"Plenty" is a strong word. Yes, there are builders that will build in that range but in this industry, you really do tend to get what you pay for. I finance self-builds and the majority of those don't get done for under $80/sqft.

We had An MI build in Westerville (Delaware County) next to Westerville North in 2012, house has been great so far. I was there every single day during the build, seriously never missed a day. I lost 35 lbs that summer from stress. LOL Our house came in at $97 sqft (with tiny lot), and we added $75,000 in upgrades from base price. 3500 sqft home.

I know you built a beautiful home but again, there are a lot of factors here. The cost of construction has gone up significantly since 2012...mostly in materials. MI is nowhere close to that pricing in today's market on a similar sized home. And, being perfectly honest, MI typically doesn't have the same build quality as a lot of other local builders. I'm glad you were diligent in watching your home during construction and making sure corners weren't cut...I have a lot of horror stories regarding their finished products.

Thanks,

Marc

:wtf: I do a lot of business with Schumacher and that is simply not the case? I don't know...maybe my buyers just want the best of everything... :lol:

Well when you build on raw land you gotta pay for the driveway, the electrical, the water, the septic or sewer. About $25-$30k on top of the price of the home itself, so there is another $12/sq ft just to get an occupancy permit on a 2500 sq ft home. Then people that do tear downs that already have those services are probably looking at a higher finish to begin with. Most people will also go outside their allowances from the jump when they are looking at the driveway finish and the landscaping. Hell, just for our recent barn, it was an extra $12k for water (Delco is $5k just to tap) and electric

but in this industry, you really do tend to get what you pay for.
I know, my family was in the building business for 55 years.

I finance self-builds and the majority of those don't get done for under $80/sqft.
Yeah, but that isn't apples to apples. You call up Carlo Silvestri and his material costs and skilled labor costs are going to be lower then 99.9% of self builds.

That seems extremely cheap....

I am doing a lot of the finishing work myself, and with my crew. They KILL you on upgrades. I am doing the entire house in Granite for what they wanted to JUST do the kitchen. I am also finishing the basement for 1/3 of what they wanted to do it.

Sure, it wont have the finishes of my neighbor spending 470k, but I cant tell the difference between Brazilian hardwood, and HD laminate. But, I can tell you going with an HD laminate saved me 15k. 15 freaking thousand dollars!! LOL. I'll keep my 150k in the bank, thanks!

http://f.tqn.com/y/homerenovations/1/S/0/l/-/-/Laminate-Floor-vs-Real-Walnut-Wood.JPG

Also I am factoring in the basement being finished which is adding 1400sq foot to the total. (total basement is 1900sq) without the basement we will be in the low 90's sq/ft. Partial stone front, almost 900sq ft garage, no rooms over the garage.

Cleveland...the mistake-by-the-lake!

Jk. But that is VERY low compared to pricing in the Columbus area.

-Marc

Avon is Top 20 in the state for community/schools/growth/per capital income. Pricey burb, I just know how to work the system :)

Yeah, are you sure that's right?

Yes. I did my research, was hard in my negotiations, and will take a week off work to do some of the final finishes that will save me a ton of money.

I'm under the impression none of these companies employ construction workers, it's all contracted out. They employ a supervisor/foreman (basically a project manager) to schedule framers, pluming, electrical, drywallers, ect. Which to me means they are all using the same labor pool, so quality is what you accept, and I was an asshole, I put my hand through drywall to prove a portion of a wall had insulation removed after inspection, because the drywall was not going on correctly so they removed the insulation. They were dumb enough to leave the removed insulation in the laundry room for me to photograph. MI supervisor said I know there is insulation behind there, I said nope and put my fist through it and low and behold no insulation. He was gonna let it fly, it was fixed as it was fixed in front of me.

On our energy star rating test our house scored 1000 pts higher than the average "Ainsley" (model of home) in central Ohio. We were diligent. That is for sure.

I think you will have this kind of shit go on no matter what the builder, unless you find a small family builder that does everything. Good luck getting anywhere near under $200 a sqft for that.

I think you will have this kind of shit go on no matter what the builder, unless you find a small family builder that does everything. Good luck getting anywhere near under $200 a sqft for that.

This is correct, most of is is all contracted out. I try to get to the site at minimum of once a week, always unannounced, so I can poke around to keep an eye out for things like this. I'm not a home builder, but I know much more about it than your average bear.

Once they start framing I plan on stopping in twice a week, if not more.

I am doing a lot of the finishing work myself, and with my crew. They KILL you on upgrades. I am doing the entire house in Granite for what they wanted to JUST do the kitchen. I am also finishing the basement for 1/3 of what they wanted to do it.

Sure, it wont have the finishes of my neighbor spending 470k, but I cant tell the difference between Brazilian hardwood, and HD laminate. But, I can tell you going with an HD laminate saved me 15k. 15 freaking thousand dollars!! LOL. I'll keep my 150k in the bank, thanks!

http://f.tqn.com/y/homerenovations/1/S/0/l/-/-/Laminate-Floor-vs-Real-Walnut-Wood.JPG

Also I am factoring in the basement being finished which is adding 1400sq foot to the total. (total basement is 1900sq) without the basement we will be in the low 90's sq/ft. Partial stone front, almost 900sq ft garage, no rooms over the garage.

Avon is Top 20 in the state for community/schools/growth/per capital income. Pricey burb, I just know how to work the system :)

Yes. I did my research, was hard in my negotiations, and will take a week off work to do some of the final finishes that will save me a ton of money.

That still seems awfully cheap, but it seems like you're keeping an eye on everything so hopefully it all pans out.

Assuming this is a modular style home? Not exactly "custom" That word seems to be used freely though...

I'm under the impression none of these companies employ construction workers, it's all contracted out. They employ a supervisor/foreman (basically a project manager) to schedule framers, pluming, electrical, drywallers, ect. Which to me means they are all using the same labor pool, so quality is what you accept

Yes and no.

There are good subcontractors and bad. Expensive and cheap. Some GCs will take the lowest bid no matter what and others take the lowest bid they know will do a good job.

I'm under the impression none of these companies employ construction workers, it's all contracted out. They employ a supervisor/foreman (basically a project manager) to schedule framers, pluming, electrical, drywallers, ect. Which to me means they are all using the same labor pool, so quality is what you accept, and I was an asshole, I put my hand through drywall to prove a portion of a wall had insulation removed after inspection, because the drywall was not going on correctly so they removed the insulation. They were dumb enough to leave the removed insulation in the laundry room for me to photograph. MI supervisor said I know there is insulation behind there, I said nope and put my fist through it and low and behold no insulation. He was gonna let it fly, it was fixed as it was fixed in front of me.

On our energy star rating test our house scored 1000 pts higher than the average "Ainsley" (model of home) in central Ohio. We were diligent. That is for sure.

Truth.

Out of curiousity, who was your super for MI?

Truth.

Out of curiousity, who was your super for MI?

Tim, I forget his last name. He drove a old ford ranger, and lives in Mt Vernon I think. He was super cool, was just doing his job, I get it. He earned his money with us LOL.

Tim, I forget his last name. He drove a old ford ranger, and lives in Mt Vernon I think. He was super cool, was just doing his job, I get it. He earned his money with us LOL.

If he has a beard and the Ranger is red, I know who you're talking about, and yeah he seems pretty cool.

MI isn't too bad of a builder, they are just hit or miss.

If he has a beard and the Ranger is red, I know who you're talking about, and yeah he seems pretty cool.

MI isn't too bad of a builder, they are just hit or miss.

He had a beard but the truck was a gold/tan color, maybe he got a different one, it was in bad shape in 2012.

He had a beard but the truck was a gold/tan color, maybe he got a different one, it was in bad shape in 2012.

Maybe it is gold come to think of it. It's a rusty extended cab, late 80s early 90s, pretty beat

Bingo

I've only met him a couple times, he works up north and I'm down south. I'm a field supervisor with a flooring company that works with a lot of builders in Columbus, and everything you said is dead on. These laborers they hire have different crews that come out depending on the job, and the quality is all over the place. Some of these contractors are awesome, some are unbelievably terrible. I've seen it first hand.

That still seems awfully cheap, but it seems like you're keeping an eye on everything so hopefully it all pans out.

Assuming this is a modular style home? Not exactly "custom" That word seems to be used freely though...

Im a cheap Jew fuck-and pinched every penny I could with them, and with the finished I am doing myself or with my crew.

It is one of the houses they build, but they do allow for custom changes (if approved-they did not approve everything I wanted to do) but it is not a mod house. They built it on site-even the roof trusses are built and erected on site. No, I did not have a vision and had it realized with a drafter, but we did some things that will be 100% unique to my house in my area.

Its also nice as its an "open" development. There are 5 or 6 different builders that are building there so the houses are pretty varied.

Yes and no.

There are good subcontractors and bad. Expensive and cheap. Some GCs will take the lowest bid no matter what and others take the lowest bid they know will do a good job.

Right.

The crew that is working on my house is the same that built a friend of mine's 5 years ago. Its random, but my buddies is like me-came up from thing so he values his money and remembers the guys that worked on his house. Since he lives 2 streets from my build- he stops a few times a week to snoop and sends me pics. He mentioned that he recognized most of the crew. Considering he has had no issues with his house, that gives me some confidence in their process as they sold me on having an "in house" crew.

The in house crew sold you, not the $78/sqft?

Kidding, but seriously, that price is crazy. We make money when we build for twice that.

I didn't want to build at all. We just couldn't find anything at the same price point that was comparable-people in Avon think their houses are gold-plated. It did help that a good friend I trusted built with them, had no issues, and said he sees the same guys working on houses now. Its also farther west in the city than I wanted to be, but for the price point it was a good compromise for us.

Also again that number is with me doing the basement-which skews it a bit. They will be around 94-95 sq ft UP when they are done. And, they did good on the land-so that may be why they had wiggle room in the build. They bought the original 200+acres from farmer Bob for dirt cheap before the boom. Sold a few sections to Pulte, PS, Ryan for market price a few years ago, and made their Money back 10x just from that. This is the last street in the development, so I think they just want to be done with it? IDK, Im not complaining. :)

Also consider this is no grass, no yard which can be 4-10k alone. I wanted a house in Avon School district with a big ass garage-thats all I am getting!