Any elevator mechanics on CR?

cstmg8

Just curious? I just got my confirmation email with my list placement, after making it through the testing and interview process over the last few months. I'm in the top ten on the list, out of well over 100 initial applicants, so I'm pretty happy with that.

At 33 I finally feel like I've found the career that I'll stay in. I spent my working life moving up through contractor, property maintenance, and building engineer positions, but couldn't decide what ultimate path to shoot for. This is one I'll enjoy, is well respected, and pays 100k+ after a 4 yr apprenticeship.

The local union is relatively small, but I figure there's got to be a few on CR who at least work with the trade.

I met a guy who was in Columbus for a elevator job and he had me talked into it. But when I looked into the apprenticeship program I couldn't afford to live. Definitely worth it after you become a journeyman but to get there would be a rough road.

I met a guy who was in Columbus for a elevator job and he had me talked into it. But when I looked into the apprenticeship program I couldn't afford to live. Definitely worth it after you become a journeyman but to get there would be a rough road.

.... start right out of Highschool...

:ninja:

KillJoy

I'll take a pay cut for the first year or two, but not by much when you figure benefits. The minimum mechanics wage is about $43/hour, you start at 50% for your six month probation, then up to $24ish for the first year apprenticeship and yearly step increases until 4th year when you hit $43+. As soon as you get your card as an apprentice, you get fully paid health insurance for your FAMILY, pension, 401k and vacation. The hourly wage is after all of that is paid by the company. All overtime is double time.

Always was intrigued and thought about pursing it but always thought that it would be a small market to work in no?

It is a fairly small local as far as trades go, but the work is pretty steady in the service and mod fields due to heavy state regs on elevators. You maintain your elevators well, or the state shuts them down.

The construction side can vary of course, but most of those guys work service when things are slow, I think.

What are the hours and holidays like?

Holidays are pretty standard, I know the guys working for my building got presidents day off, lol.

Hours depend on the company you work for, I'm hoping for four 10's.

Wow, that's legit pay. Congrats!

Thanks, I just hope I get picked up soon. I can't imagine it will take them long to get through 10 people. I would love to work for Kone, but just getting started is the important part.

Every multi floor building has an Elevator....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Yes but how many of those are broken or needs service daily?

This industry really has its ups and downs.

:lol: dam you.

Can you come fix out elevators at Aetna, these things seem to be broken weekly :fuuuu:

• 1 month later...
Just curious? I just got my confirmation email with my list placement, after making it through the testing and interview process over the last few months. I'm in the top ten on the list, out of well over 100 initial applicants, so I'm pretty happy with that.

At 33 I finally feel like I've found the career that I'll stay in. I spent my working life moving up through contractor, property maintenance, and building engineer positions, but couldn't decide what ultimate path to shoot for. This is one I'll enjoy, is well respected, and pays 100k+ after a 4 yr apprenticeship.

The local union is relatively small, but I figure there's got to be a few on CR who at least work with the trade.

<-- 33 years old. Works in property maintenance and was an engineer at Nationwide Arena 10 or so years ago. :fa:

:lol: Congrats man. Who cares what it is or what it pays. Are you happy? That's all that matters.

This industry really has its ups and downs.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/7/23/14/anigif_enhanced-buzz-20442-1374602698-9.gif

Yes but how many of those are broken or needs service daily?

raw

Can you come fix out elevators at Aetna, these things seem to be broken weekly :fuuuu:

image.jpg?w=500&c=1

Got picked up by Fujitec. Isn't a company I'm familiar with, but starting on Monday I'm officially an Elevator mechanics Apprentice. I better get the home projects wrapped up!!

Congrats. I maintain 2 buildings with elevators. Come do that ish fo' free.

Got picked up by Fujitec. Isn't a company I'm familiar with, but starting on Monday I'm officially an Elevator mechanics Apprentice. I better get the home projects wrapped up!!

It's uplifting to see you're already raising the elevator puns to a new level.