Where the F*** were the parents?? (CAUTION GEETO and TIM quote battle inside)

Mace1647545504

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just once Tim I would like to hear you say..."you know, it's sad that this kid got a concussion, and I really feel for this overwhelmed mother trying to manage 4 kids at the zoo." I mean empathy is a real thing, and not just a power prof Xavier has on the x-men.

I think the empathy part for the kid is a given. Really, it's a waste of time to go into all that.

Also I completely forgot you are a zoo enclosures expert and your opinion that it is "more user friendly" means that it is safe. Come on man, it's a thing designed to interact with kids, designers need to be looking at that part more closely and sometimes litigation forces them to do that.
Seems we're both enclosure experts. Reality is though that the enclosure isn't something my kids "interact" with. They know and were taught not to run into the flowers, shrubs, etc. at the zoo. Their mom and dad also did a great job keeping an eye on them and insuring they didn't cause a disturbance or run where they weren't supposed to. We actualy kept an eye on them and "interacted" with them.

I don't have protective railings and glass walls keeping my kid from darting into the street or keeping them from jumping in the river when we're at the park or falling into the lake as we jog / walk around Antrum Lake.

In the end we don't live life inside protective suites. Dangers exist and present themselves daily. Parents need to parent more. People need to stop playing victims and the system needs to quit pandering to those that clearly do.

Now excuse me while I let my kids get bit by a giraffe as they feed them lettuce at the zoo so I then file suite against them to pay for their college.

Edited by TTQ B4U

I get it....But this is ust another notch in the belt of bullshit that people in society are jumping on....Every week its something new....ITs just getting old and I for one am tired of seeing nothing but people bitch and complain about everything yet NEVER offer anything constructive or positive....If you have nothing to add thats helpful, I think you should not be allowed to speak about such things.....This would silence a good majority of people if it could actually be done....which we know it cant, just making a point.

You yourself have been complaining this whole time and have offered nothing of use. You yourself are in the group of people you're complaint about. I like your first post more. Bye Felicia.

Just once Tim I would like to hear you say..."you know, it's sad that this kid got a concussion, and I really feel for this overwhelmed mother trying to manage 4 kids at the zoo." I mean empathy is a real thing, and not just a power prof Xavier has on the x-men.

Also I completely forgot you are a zoo enclosures expert and your opinion that it is "more user friendly" means that it is safe. Come on man, it's a thing designed to interact with kids, designers need to be looking at that part more closely and sometimes litigation forces them to do that.

You have to be the most annoying douche on this site. Hands down I hope some homeless guy rocks you in the jaw today. And you sue him and get nothing because that's what you're worth. That would make me happy.

Now why the hell should we feel bad for some single mom of 4 welfare abusing waste on society? You liberal pussy. The mom is to blame. If she could have kept the neighborhood out of her vagina and didn't have 4 tax write offs this wouldn't have happened. Your mentality is what is wrong with society. This mom needs to stand up and take the blame for her shitty actions. As a society we make way too many excuses so we can run around and act like assholes with no consequences. Either way ODOT should fill the moms vag with cement so she can't litter this world anymore.

You have to be the most annoying douche on this site. Hands down I hope some homeless guy rocks you in the jaw today. And you sue him and get nothing because that's what you're worth. That would make me happy.

lol

Yeah right, while certainly possible, not very probable. 37 years without one incident. I call that a pretty good track record.......

You call it a good track record, others might call that getting lucky, while still others might say it is evidence of how the zoo is not keeping up with the changes in society and the evolution of spectators at theme parks.

don't liberalize this and make it everybody's fault but the person who was in charge.

It's not liberalizing anything to understand one of the actual purposes of our justice system is to actually force innovation, progress, or at least advancing minimum standards. It is not absolving the mother of any parenting obligations to say maybe the zoo also has a responsibility in this situation. Remember our trial system is a method of figuring this out.

I hate victims.

I think I found your problem.

Bottom line, listen to her voice in the video, she was no where as nervous as anybody else there. There were other mothers that were frightened for this child and she was cool, calm and collective. She has been a bad mother for a long time. And I believe she rarely know was where the children are.

This is very subjective and judgmental and based on very little of what you know of the person's actual life. Thankfully it is just your opinion and not anything of actual merit.

I get it, empathy is something they seem to be out of stock on in ohio.

Now why the hell should we feel bad for some single mom of 4 welfare abusing waste on society?
You could just say black. I mean you don't know for a fact she is one welfare and abusing the system, do you? And if she was receiving public assistance (not abusing just receiving), what does it matter to you anyway? where do these assumptions come from? watching her speak on a video?

You liberal pussy.

stay classy San Diego.

The mom is to blame.
I don't think anybody has said there wasn't some fault here. The only difference is that you imply "only" and I don't.

If she could have kept the neighborhood out of her vagina and didn't have 4 tax write offs this wouldn't have happened.

I'm pretty sure the articles indicate that all of her kids have the same father, so that really doesn't qualify as "the neighborhood". I mean he's a big guy but he ain't that big. Damn.

Your mentality is what is wrong with society.

really? my mentality. the one that isn't calling her a degenerate welfare cheat because they saw a 5 second clip on the news.

This mom needs to stand up and take the blame for her shitty actions.

And how do you suppose she do that? I mean she still has to take care of the medical bills, right? so how is that not taking responsibility? she still has care for the kid when Dr.s' and hospitals are not doing it, how is that not taking responsibility? After all the media hoopla is over she still has to deal with raising this kid, it isn't like she is going to give him away now? is it?

As a society we make way too many excuses so we can run around and act like assholes with no consequences. Either way ODOT should fill the moms vag with cement so she can't litter this world anymore.

yes because it's all the woman's fault that some dude came inside her and made a baby. Let's punish women for the gift of reproduction. Be serious man.

I think the empathy part for the kid is a given. Really, it's a waste of time to go into all that.

Don't assume it is a given. As you can see by others responses it isn't always assumed. Also when you say things that suggest you don't have empathy you can't rely on it being assumed.

Seems we're both enclosure experts.
Nope, but I am willing to let the court system hear the evidence of actual experts (in addition to lay people) and make a decision and you aren't.

Reality is though that the enclosure isn't something my kids "interact" with.
It is the barrier between them and the animals, they are interacting with it even when they don't know it because they are separated from the animals. I think what you meant to say is they don't physically interact with it by testing it's limits, which is ok - some people's kids are more active or curious than others.

They know and were taught not to run into the flowers, shrubs, etc. at the zoo.
they are kids (and I don't think either of them are 4), I don't know that any 4 year old understands the import of anything.

Their mom and dad also did a great job keeping an eye on them and insuring they didn't cause a disturbance or run where they weren't supposed to. We actually kept an eye on them and "interacted" with them.
Where would you like the parent of the year statue erected? not every kid is the same. Some are active and wild and some are not. there is no single formula to making all humans the same....yet...

I don't have protective railings and glass walls keeping my kid from darting into the street or keeping them from jumping in the river when we're at the park or falling into the lake as we jog / walk around Antrum Lake.

Lotta 600lb wild gorillas in those parks?

In the end we don't live life inside protective suites. Dangers exist and present themselves daily. Parents need to parent more. People need to stop playing victims and the system needs to quit pandering to those that clearly do.

Sort of. It's more about expectations. When you go to the zoo you expect the barriers that separate the people animals from the animal animals. When you go out into nature you don't have that expectation and it's up to you to prepare for a bear mauling if it happens. If you are going to take on the responsibility of exhibiting wild animals to large crowds of peoples, you take on the responsibility of maintaining that barrier and making sure it evolves with the crowds.

Now excuse me while I let my kids get bit by a giraffe as they feed them lettuce at the zoo so I then file suite against them to pay for their college.

Sign says you may get bit and the trainers verbally warn you when they hand you the lettuce. You were warned, your expectations were managed and you chose to participate despite the danger so it is not really actionable. but nice try.

I am torn on this. I have a 3 year old that can slip away in an instant. We also have a 2 month old, and my wife won't take both kids anywhere without me, or another responsible person with her right now.

I guess the story from witnesses says that the mom turned to do something quickly with their very young baby, and the boy slipped off under(??) the fencing and down into the grassy area. Should a kid be able to get in that easily? No. The father was there too, why wasn't he paying closer attention while the mom tended to the baby? Where is the blame for him?

Don't assume it is a given. As you can see by others responses it isn't always assumed. Also when you say things that suggest you don't have empathy you can't rely on it being assumed.

I don't recall seeing anyone here saying they are happy the kid was injured. Really....

I'm moving on the from the empathy part as to me it's a given that no one wants to see the kid hurt.

Nope, but I am willing to let the court system hear the evidence of actual experts (in addition to lay people) and make a decision and you aren't.
you're a lawyer so it's more fitting for you to feel that way. I don't because I think there's already too much litigation in the world. Not your or even my wife, but plenty of lawyers are up for any type of litigation as that's how they make a living.

I never said I wasn't open to hearing experts on enclosures discuss this one but I"m more open to hearing experts talk about the parents and how they could be better parents. Just pisses me off that the world seems to always point fingers and look at others vs looking in the mirror where the real problem often is located.

<snip> It is the barrier between them and the animals, they are interacting with it even when they don't know it because..... they don't physically interact with it by testing it's limits, which is ok - some people's kids are more active or curious than others.
Yes, some kids are more active and curious, but then their parents need to perhaps be even more attentive. This mother obviously has some work to do on her parenting skills and perhaps needs to actually interact with her kid a bit more so he's not off on his own to slide his way into an enclosure. According to what I heard/read the father was there, so where was he when all this happened?

they are kids (and I don't think either of them are 4), I don't know that any 4 year old understands the import of anything.
I clearly remember both my kids at age 4. BS that they don't understand the importance of anything at that age. They ABSOLUTELY do if the parents actually teach them. Here's a series of each of my kids at age 4:

Notice the "interaction" of mom and dad with them.

Daughter not crushing a crab or climbing in water

Daughter NOT riding her bike in street

Daughter taking pics like dad and not chasing the ducks/birds

Son respecting a fence and not climbing through it - Moms still attentive

Son Petting a Shark

Son Petting a Snake

Where would you like the parent of the year statue erected? not every kid is the same. Some are active and wild and some are not. there is no single formula to making all humans the same....yet...
In the yards of just about every responsible parent as the last time I checked, it's NORMAL and CUSTOMARY for GOOD Parents to keep and eye on their kids, insure they are taught not to cause disturbances, not to run through zoo displays and generally interact with their kids and raise mindful and respectful children.

Lotta 600lb wild gorillas in those parks?
No all along the bike trail on 315 you have dangerous currents and dams that have taken many lives. You have lots of cars to get hit by and rocks to fall on and from too. Not to mention Antrum is an old quarry and has some pretty deep areas.

Sort of. It's more about expectations. When you go to the zoo you expect the barriers that separate the people animals from the animal animals.
and likewise the zoo and other patrons have an expectation that parents bring approapriate levels of responsibility when their kids are there. If you haven't raised respectful or attentive kids then you best be sure to hang onto them and actually PARENT vs no even noticing what they are doing.

When you go out into nature you don't have that expectation and it's up to you to prepare for a bear mauling if it happens. If you are going to take on the responsibility of exhibiting wild animals to large crowds of peoples, you take on the responsibility of maintaining that barrier and making sure it evolves with the crowds.
The Key word highlighted for you. Parents need to prepare for their trip to the zoo, make their expectations with said kids clear, be responsible for their kids and maintain their good behavior. If they aren't able to do that then they should perhaps let little Joey watch animal planet at home. Even at ages 10 and 13 my kids are well aware of expectation when we go out whether it's to the zoo or simply dinner.

Sign says you may get bit and the trainers verbally warn you when they hand you the lettuce. You were warned, your expectations were managed and you chose to participate despite the danger so it is not really actionable. but nice try.
and there are clear signs at the zoo in Cinci that warn people to stay out of the exhibits, not to climb or sit on fences and that these are wild animals not to be fed. I have pics of them as the signage is often funny. Perhaps I'll dig up some pics for you.

Overall though to your point, most all zoos including Columbus have rules that state: For your safety: No visitor shall go over, under, between or otherwise cross any guardrail, fence, moat, wall or other safety barrier, or seat, stand or hold children over such barriers.

Again, it is all about expectations and responsibility. Mom chose to participate in going on a zoo excursion and she is expected to be accountable for her kids actions and responsible for when they act up. Nice try back at you.

Edited by TTQ B4U

The fact that you think everyone on here is just trolling should be a sign that nobody likes you. They aren't trolling.

So they are just openly racist/sexist/misogynist/fascist? good to know. :dumb:

Just because people are "silent" doesn't mean they agree with you. It does mean that they talk about you and others like you in some other medium (like real life) because one thing you can depend on is people are catty and cruel.

I choose to speak up here because I don't like bullys or bigots but I know there are other members here that are laughing at what you have written here. As proof that you aren't worth their time they are not going to respond. Not that I think you are worth anybody's time either, but I don't want you to come away thinking things you say are ok because nobody called you out on your bigotry.

Again, it is all about expectations and responsibility. Mom chose to participate in going on a zoo excursion and she is expected to be accountable for her kids actions and responsible for when they act up. Nice try back at you.

Long and short of it Tim is the law doesn't support your position because it makes people take responsibility for their property and the guests who visit. You don't like it get the laws changed that say people are no longer responsible for guests on their property, but I can tell you the social implication of that is not better than what we have now.

Litigation is just a method of resolving disputes. If you think there is too much litigation maybe you should be approaching the problem from the direction of reducing the number of disputes between people rather than punishing people who avail themselves of the government sanctioned method of dispute resolution. As much as people bitch about the process now, it is far and away more accessible than most other systems in other countries around the world. And honestly there still isn't enough access. The problem with the system is it is overtaxed because there are too many people who disagree and need a way of resolving their issues.

Long and short of it Tim is the law doesn't support your position because it makes people take responsibility for their property and the guests who visit.

The law supports both positions as visitors to a public venue have a duty to exercise reasonable care for their own safety and those they are responsible for as well. In this case parents can't just show up and neglect to parent their kids within what a reasonable person would do in such a situation. It is time society start putting a bit more pressure on parents these days. Just look a the shit happening in Chicago. Poor parenting is a HUGE part of that chaos.

We were just on Vacation and if you look up at the pool or beaches there are signs everywhere placing a degree of responsibility on the swimmer to look after his or her own safety. If the patron ignores those warnings to me that's on them and a solid defense should they try and sue.

Pretty simple; if you don't want to have your kid get killed by a Gorilla, Pay fucking attention to what they are doing at all times and don't let them break the posted rules about climbing fences or going into said enclosure. Next up.....kid nearly dies after falling from counter top in public restroom.....parent sue zoo. Solution put glass enclosure up so you can only stick your hands through two holes to get them into the sink. :rolleyes:

Litigation is just a method of resolving disputes. If you think there is too much litigation maybe you should be approaching the problem from the direction of reducing the number of disputes between people rather than punishing people who avail themselves of the government sanctioned method of dispute resolution.
We need to stop pandering to the dumb-asses of the world and allowing them to prosper from their actions. In this case fuck that noise of the parents suing the zoo. Hell, I hope the zoo counter-sues them for the death of the Gorilla and endangering the lives of the other patrons and employees as they helped save the kid who the parents of didn't even know was crawling into the exhibit!

The problem with the system is it is overtaxed because there are too many people who disagree and need a way of resolving their issues.
Again, fuck that noise of allowing the whiners in life who claim everything happens to them get to prosper of the backs of others. Up next, little Jimmy get's a splinter at the zoo, contracts flesh eating virus and the parents sue the zoo for being unclean.

Personal responsibility has gone out the window and it's to the point where people actually believe they can do no wrong and now we're paying people to be bad parents. Maybe the parents of a toddler should turn their backs and let their kids stick a pen into the outlet at the airport where his brother is charging an iPhone so they can sue the airport. Brilliant way to hit the lotto!

Here's one of my own pics:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/The%20wilds_zpsxy7i52da.jpg

Save

Edited by TTQ B4U

The law supports both positions as visitors to a public venue have a duty to exercise reasonable care for their own safety and those they are responsible for as well. In this case parents can't just show up and neglect to parent their kids within what a reasonable person would do in such a situation. It is time society start putting a bit more pressure on parents these days. Just look a the shit happening in Chicago. Poor parenting is a HUGE part of that chaos.

You are assuming neglect where it has not been proven. At trial if there is actual neglect it will be addressed and the jury will side with the Zoo. It is possible for these things to happen were the actions of people don't rise to the societal standard of neglect.

We need to stop pandering to the dumb-asses of the world and allowing them to prosper from their actions. In this case fuck that noise of the parents suing the zoo. Hell, I hope the zoo counter-sues them for the death of the Gorilla and endangering the lives of the other patrons and employees as they helped save the kid who the parents of didn't even know was crawling into the exhibit!

It's not pandering. The purpose of any judgement is to put the injured party whole. If the mother is successful in her suit, then the amount she will recover will be adequate to compensate for the injury in terms of medical expense, lost wages, etc... and will be off set by any percentage of contributory negligence. It is not "free money". If there is a case to support the parent's paying for the property damage of the gorilla being killed, it will be addressed at trial.

Punitive damages exist as a way of punishing individuals and companies for bad behavior that would have been obvious to anybody that they should not have been doing what ever it is they did. The standard is high and the award is tough to get which is why it is newsworthy when it happens. There is no basis to assume punitive damages will be awarded here unless it comes out at trial that the zoo knew it was very likely that their design was unsafe and they acted instead to take their chances.

Tim I firmly believe that you just don't understand how the justice system actually works in this country. I mean don't feel bad, the overwhelming majority don't understand it (probably because our schools do a poor job of teaching it). I didn't know how it worked until I got into higher education. It really is more complex and more fascinating than you think but it does cover some of the issues you think aren't being addressed.

Again, fuck that noise of allowing the whiners in life who claim everything happens to them get to prosper of the backs of others. Up next, little Jimmy get's a splinter at the zoo, contracts flesh eating virus and the parents sue the zoo for being unclean.

Litigation isn't "welfare". One of the components of litigation is that there must be an injury and it must be able to be redressed through compensation. Without that you have no case.

Personal responsibility has gone out the window and it's to the point where people actually believe they can do no wrong and now we're paying people to be bad parents.

Personal responsibility has not gone out the window. If anything people are more responsible now that they have ever been. Remember when people didn't have state mandated car insurance? or lesser penalties for DWI and hit and run? talk about irresponsible. Maybe the difference is that we didn't have a 24/7 news cycle to cover it all in minute detail the same way we do now.

Sometimes you need government intervention to actually hold people accountable, they aren't going to do it on their own when it runs contrary to their self interest. Again, this idea that personal responsibility is eroding is not actually supported by any real facts - it's just your emotional reaction to stories because of how you feel about litigation.

You are assuming neglect where it has not been proven. At trial if there is actual neglect it will be addressed and the jury will side with the Zoo. It is possible for these things to happen were the actions of people don't rise to the societal standard of neglect.

Welcome to CR where discussions happen.....and anything is possible. In this case when 100-200k people sign a petition within days, I'd say it's pretty clear I'm not alone in my stance.

It's not pandering. The purpose of any judgement is to put the injured party whole. If the mother is successful in her suit, then the amount she will recover will be adequate to compensate for the injury in terms of medical expense, lost wages, etc... and will be off set by any percentage of contributory negligence. It is not "free money". If there is a case to support the parent's paying for the property damage of the gorilla being killed, it will be addressed at trial.
Dude the system is ringing the dinner bell and has for years. That's the reason why this country is filled with people quick to lawyer up and sue. It's out of control and we don't need a CR discussion or a University Study to see that.

Punitive damages exist as a way of punishing individuals and companies for bad behavior that would have been obvious to anybody that they should not have been doing what ever it is they did. The standard is high and the award is tough to get which is why it is newsworthy when it happens. There is no basis to assume punitive damages will be awarded here unless it comes out at trial that the zoo knew it was very likely that their design was unsafe and they acted instead to take their chances.

The Gorilla enclosure there has been under renovations for over a year. The way the fucked up system works though is they will likely toss money at the parents to make the matter go away and both the parents and the lawyers know that and want that. No one here wants to go to court, they want the money. Again, no University Study needed.

Tim I firmly believe that you just don't understand how the justice system actually works in this country. I mean don't feel bad, the overwhelming majority don't understand it (probably because our schools do a poor job of teaching it). I didn't know how it worked until I got into higher education. It really is more complex and more fascinating than you think but it does cover some of the issues you think aren't being addressed.
I know how it works Kerry. I've been around it on both sides with a number of our friends and my wife who worked in it for many years. The bullshit you're eluding to does exists but the reality is the vast majority of legal matters are about money and settled with dollar signs. The real issues such as Kate's Law and others that actually do mean something get dicked around with so much that they never happen or if they do they get jammed in with other BS Stuff.

Litigation isn't "welfare". One of the components of litigation is that there must be an injury and it must be able to be redressed through compensation. Without that you have no case.
It is for many. It's actually the lotto system. Believe me, I absolutely plan to sue if given the chance. My own fucked up sister that I hate with a death wish sued Service Merchandise, a retailer here that has since gone under and was awarded $$$$ for a shelving system that fell on her as she reached for some goods. You can likely even look it up. she was a dumb ass and did it knowing if it fell she'd sue. We even talked about it.

Personal responsibility has not gone out the window. If anything people are more responsible now that they have ever been. Remember when people didn't have state mandated car insurance? or lesser penalties for DWI and hit and run? talk about irresponsible. Maybe the difference is that we didn't have a 24/7 news cycle to cover it all in minute detail the same way we do now.
I also remember when people burned themselves on coffee and just cussed at themselves and when parents actually parented. I remember when doctors didn't get sued over everything either...

Again, this idea that personal responsibility is eroding is not actually supported by any real facts - it's just your emotional reaction to stories because of how you feel about litigation.
No, it's not just emotion, it's all the BS You see out there like this. There's so much regulation and requirements to protect the "Masses" because of a few idiots. We'll discuss more on that in another thread I'm sure. Lawsuit abuse is crazy today. There are all kinds of dumb-ass cases being filed and class action BS is out of control too. Follow the money, it's not a difficult concept.

Just because people are "silent" doesn't mean they agree with you. It does mean that they talk about you and others like you in some other medium (like real life) because one thing you can depend on is people are catty and cruel.

I choose to speak up here because I don't like bullys or bigots but I know there are other members here that are laughing at what you have written here. As proof that you aren't worth their time they are not going to respond. Not that I think you are worth anybody's time either, but I don't want you to come away thinking things you say are ok because nobody called you out on your bigotry.

I haven't said anything racist or bigoted. You're just a fat clown looking for people's approval. Difference between you and me is IDFAF what anyone on here thinks of me. Shit ban my account I don't care. But every chance you get you try to flex your pea sized brain. You're probably just some shit ass ambulance chasing joke. I've never met an attorney that is good and drives shit boxes like you. It's ok d cup.

I haven't said anything racist or bigoted.

You think you haven't but you have. You just haven't thought it through enough or looked at it form any point of view but your own narrow one. The good news is you are entiteld to your opinion about welfare or black people or whatever just as much as I am entitled to mine that your opinion sucks. And really in the grand scheme it makes no difference.

You're just a fat clown looking for people's approval.

my persistence here is evidence that I am not looking for anybody's approval.

Difference between you and me is IDFAF what anyone on here thinks of me.

You " Israeli Defense Force Air Force"? I don't get it. If you meant to say "I DGAF" as in "I don't give a Fuck"....then let me ask you this....how is having the constantly dissenting and unpopular opinion and knowing that evidence that I am looking for approval. If anything it's proof of the opposite.

Shit ban my account I don't care.

I don't have the power to ban anybody's account.

But every chance you get you try to flex your pea sized brain. You're probably just some shit ass ambulance chasing joke. I've never met an attorney that is good and drives shit boxes like you. It's ok d cup.

I'm going to guess that your time spent in the charitable sector is probably 0. I have seen some of the best attorney's of my life toil at $40K a year in the public defender's office because idealism. A person's self worth is not measured in only money. Don't be so superficial.

As for the fat jokes and personal insults - the depth of your class continues to underwhelm.

Sorry. In the middle of tearing down an engine, must have missed the key by a half inch. Oh no, thanks for pointing that out. You were the first person to bring race into our conversation. I work in the medical field and trust me every race has its issues. But for some reason you brought up the race card to try and score cool points with the others by trying to make me look like a racist. Laughable attempt at best. Keep trying though. Your pussified liberal outlook on life is just mind numbing. Just keep getting the last word, because that's your "internet persona".

You think you haven't but you have. You just haven't thought it through enough or looked at it form any point of view but your own narrow one. The good news is you are entiteld to your opinion about welfare or black people or whatever just as much as I am entitled to mine that your opinion sucks. And really in the grand scheme it makes no difference.

my persistence here is evidence that I am not looking for anybody's approval.

You " Israeli Defense Force Air Force"? I don't get it. If you meant to say "I DGAF" as in "I don't give a Fuck"....then let me ask you this....how is having the constantly dissenting and unpopular opinion and knowing that evidence that I am looking for approval. If anything it's proof of the opposite.

I don't have the power to ban anybody's account.

I'm going to guess that your time spent in the charitable sector is probably 0. I have seen some of the best attorney's of my life toil at $40K a year in the public defender's office because idealism. A person's self worth is not measured in only money. Don't be so superficial.

As for the fat jokes and personal insults - the depth of your class continues to underwhelm.

Welcome to CR where discussions happen.....and anything is possible. In this case when 100-200k people sign a petition within days, I'd say it's pretty clear I'm not alone in my stance.

Nobody says you are alone in your position - the world is full of people and those people are full of opinions. Petitions are somewhat meaningless in that they are just one of the many forms of protest and probably the least offensive/effective, but they make everyone feel good by being a participant so....take it for what it is worth.

Dude the system is ringing the dinner bell and has for years. That's the reason why this country is filled with people quick to lawyer up and sue. It's out of control and we don't need a CR discussion or a University Study to see that.

This is just reactionary, it has not been "ringing" any dinner bell. Considering how expensive litigation can get and how little guarantee there is for payoff you have better odds in Vegas. this country is quick to lawyer up and sue because people don't always understand their rights and feel like they are being cheated, and the free market has covered the demand for a back end fix rather than front end pro-active education.

The Gorilla enclosure there has been under renovations for over a year. The way the fucked up system works though is they will likely toss money at the parents to make the matter go away and both the parents and the lawyers know that and want that. No one here wants to go to court, they want the money. Again, no University Study needed.

If it has been under renovation then the park should have taken extra care. As to "throw money" well actually you contribute to that by paying attention to this and make it a negative PR concern for the Zoo. Does money play a factor in any settlement? of course, litigation can get expensive from both a public perception standpoint as well as a actual cost standpoint - but let's save those judgement for when the zoo decides to settle since a lot of zoos have been going to trial on these issues as of late.

I know how it works Kerry. I've been around it on both sides with a number of our friends and my wife who worked in it for many years. The bullshit you're eluding to does exists but the reality is the vast majority of legal matters are about money and settled with dollar signs. The real issues such as Kate's Law and others that actually do mean something get dicked around with so much that they never happen or if they do they get jammed in with other BS Stuff.

For defendants, money is always a consideration in settling. it's the cost of the gamble vs the cost of the sure thing. As for this "dicking around" and BS stuff you'll have to be more specific. I mean our legislative process is not perfect by any means but it is all we have.

It is for many. It's actually the lotto system. Believe me, I absolutely plan to sue if given the chance. My own fucked up sister that I hate with a death wish sued Service Merchandise, a retailer here that has since gone under and was awarded $$$$ for a shelving system that fell on her as she reached for some goods. You can likely even look it up. she was a dumb ass and did it knowing if it fell she'd sue. We even talked about it.

Any system that is overtaxed is ripe for abuse. Are there abuses? sure, there are abuses in everything. I still think that the ratio of people who think it is the lotto vs the number of people it actually acts like a lotto for is very wide, but most of that again is education and people not understanding the justice system. successful big pay outs are like plane crashes - newsworthy because of their rarity.

I also remember when people burned themselves on coffee and just cussed at themselves and when parents actually parented. I remember when doctors didn't get sued over everything either...

Please do me a favor and actually read up on the mcdonalds case. I defended a "coffee burn" case once and they are a lot more complex than you think. Esp when you factor in how small changes in temperature can go from mild irritation to skin graft levels of damage very fast. As for Dr's, again sometimes there are "abuses" and sometimes the Dr. had it coming. It's hard to make a case that Dr's shouldn't ever get sued when they do stuff like leave instruments in surgical patients or try to buy illegal firearms in order to kill their patients (both cases I worked on). I mean, litigation does act as a form of reactive quality control on the practice of medicine.

here is what I can tell you from my time in the trenches: Really bad or really good cases on both sides are rare. If the plaintiff has no case it usually goes away right after depositions. If the plaintiff has a really really good case it settles because there is no chance in hell a jury is going to side with a Dr who left his sunglasses in the patient's abdomen. The rest revolve around the national "standard" of care and whether it was breached or not. Most smart med mal plaintiffs will not take a case on contingency because of the cost of experts so it is a battle of the bills in "settlement" but if you are talking about settlement then already you are talking about a case where there is a reasonable chance of success on either side. In the grand scheme of all cases, med mal is tiny in terms of volume. Even the biggest med mal defense firms are considered small firms compared defense firms in other areas.

No, it's not just emotion, it's all the BS You see out there like this. There's so much regulation and requirements to protect the "Masses" because of a few idiots. We'll discuss more on that in another thread I'm sure. Lawsuit abuse is crazy today. There are all kinds of dumb-ass cases being filed and class action BS is out of control too. Follow the money, it's not a difficult concept.

It sometimes isn't there to protect the masses, sometimes it is there to protect the companies. Sometimes it is to protect the government. don't assume it is just because of a few idiots - there are way more idiots out there than you think and sometimes it's to keep more of the same idiots from walking through the door. Warning labels on lawnmowers don't protect the end user from sticking their hand in the blades, they protect the company from getting sued by morons who think a proper way to service the lawn mower is to stick their hands in the blades.

If you don't read the manual and do something stupid it's your own fault for doing it, but remember the right to that manual and the warning sticker is covered in someone's blood because there was a time companies giving you operation instructions was looked upon as sharing a "trade secret". Sometimes consumer protection is company protection. and then sometimes a company makes a pinto and wrongful death litigation prods them to Focus, become an Explorer, be a mustang in the industry, and Aspire to make something better than a pinto. Escort.