Fuel gauge acting up..

The_buster

The other day when I drove to work I had a 1/4 tank of fuel. Went to lunch and came back still had 1/4 tank. Got in to go home and the gauge was on E and the light was on, but by the time I got home the gauge was back at 1/4. and still on 1/4 right now with about 310 miles on this tank. Any ideas as to what would make it act up like that? No check engine light on or anything and the cap is tight.

A sending unit is like a potentiometer - sends out a variable signal to tell the gauge what to read. Any number of things from the float getting stuck due to sediment to a short or corrosion on the contacts can affect it.

Easiest way to see if it is just a sticking float? Bang on the tank and see if the reading changes. Otherwise you are going to have to drop the tank to inspect the unit.

not sure on those cars but can't see it really being much different than most sending units....probably just crud on the sender. Could try running some seafoam through it. You could also ohm out the sender out of the tank and see what that says...again...not sure on honda stuff how they ohm out. Older GM stuff was 0-90ohm and the newer f-body stuff is like 40-259ohms which are the ones I have experience with. That would at least narrow it down some whether it's the sender or gauge. I'm betting sender though.