EngineLabs LSX vs Coyote Shootout

wagner

Not surprised by the outcome, but since they decided to base it on a mid range "sweet spot", they shouldn't have used the Boss intake on the Ford.

Also, this is 2016, who builds a $10k "budget" naturally aspirated motor with street manners? With that budget, it's either boost or max effort pieces for the track.

With the typical cubic inch vs multiple cams argument between Ford and Chevy guys, I wonder how a similarly built 5.3 would compare.

Not surprised by the outcome, but since they decided to base it on a mid range "sweet spot", they shouldn't have used the Boss intake on the Ford.

Also, this is 2016, who builds a $10k "budget" naturally aspirated motor with street manners? With that budget, it's either boost or max effort pieces for the track.

With the typical cubic inch vs multiple cams argument between Ford and Chevy guys, I wonder how a similarly built 5.3 would compare.

I think they were trying to avoid the boosted builds since everybody had beat that whole article concept to death, brought it back to life, killed it, then fucked the dead body.

Understandable. I'm sure it's tough in the automotive industry to come up with different stories that people actually care about. Wonder how a $10k budget N/A Hemi would've done.

You have no idea, its my new daily struggle to come up with content that is not jalopnik level crap.

We are going to be making some big shifts and moves over the next year with the level of content. I'm being pushed very hard with this new job in what I have to write about, and what I have to learn.

Maybe I'll try to score one of these motors for a project idea...

Understandable. I'm sure it's tough in the automotive industry to come up with different stories that people actually care about. Wonder how a $10k budget N/A Hemi would've done.

The HotRod magazine YouTube channel has a series called engine masters where they did a late model hemi. I think it posted some pretty solid numbers.

I would rather take the $10,000 and build two 10 second turbo 5.3 cars and still have beer money left over than build what they consider a freshen up build for $10,000 just to have it sitting on an engine stand while I buy a car to put it in. But damn does that ls3 curve look good.

So this is crank horsepower right? With just a cam, bolt-ons, and tune I put down 465whp, which is about the same crank hp as their built-up LS3 (using the old 15% rule). Am I missing something here?

This is my thought, what the hell did they do with $10k?? G8 after G8 puts those numbers down with a $3k cam/heads/intake combo. Interesting.

So this is crank horsepower right? With just a cam, bolt-ons, and tune I put down 465whp, which is about the same crank hp as their built-up LS3 (using the old 15% rule). Am I missing something here?

Cost of the block to start, but yes rediculous. I'm helping a buddy take a 5.3 out to a 5.7 with good heads and cam e85 shooting for 430/440whp..total cost will be 4500 max for the motor

Cost of the block to start, but yes rediculous. I'm helping a buddy take a 5.3 out to a 5.7 with good heads and cam e85 shooting for 430/440whp..total cost will be 4500 max for the motor

I have $200 into my 5.3 and if we have enough fuel, we are shooting for 1000whp.

:dumb:

I have $200 into my 5.3 and if we have enough fuel, we are shooting for 1000whp.

:dumb:

You're the king of cheapness, but there is no way that you realistically have $200 in the engine, fuel system and turbo setup. In a bone stock 5.3, sure, but a bone stock 5.3 doesn't make 1000 hp.

You're the king of cheapness, but there is no way that you realistically have $200 in the engine, fuel system and turbo setup. In a bone stock 5.3, sure, but a bone stock 5.3 doesn't make 1000 hp.

I could be wrong, but from what I gather is that he gets a lot of used parts or friend's throw aways. So, $200 is realistic (for him).

Hot Rod magazine (or similar) boosted a 4.8 to over 1100hp with minimal $$$. They said there was more to be had, but I think fueling was an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY rare, but not impossible. I've sourced a couple complete 5.3's with ecm and trans for 250ish before.

The HotRod magazine YouTube channel has a series called engine masters where they did a late model hemi. I think it posted some pretty solid numbers.

Love Engine Masters.

Was that Robert Duval?

I think that too. Freiburger and Steve jaw away while Robert Duvall disputes whatever they think. :lol:

Hot Rod magazine (or similar) boosted a 4.8 to over 1100hp with minimal $$$. They said there was more to be had, but I think fueling was an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was Hot Rod Magazine. That was one of the best articles I've read in recent memory.

"Hey! We've got a ChinaBay turbo for $200. We have a junkyard 5.3L. Let's make some power!

Holy shit, this turbo has made over 200 passes and it's still holding up!

HOLY SHIT, WE JUST MADE 1100HP.

HOO-LEE SHEE-IT, WE JUST CRACKED OPEN THE LONGBLOCK AND FOUND OUT IT'S A 4.8 LITER!!!1!1" :lol:

I'd like to see " I have a family and 3 kids build". That basically means I have to do murder for hire in order to come up with $10k to put into the car these days. I was looking at doing more to my car next winter but it just gets depressing when I start adding parts up. My car is pretty much done except the trans and if I went with more power I would need bigger injectors but for the most part everything else is done. I wanted to do a supercharger but when you start adding in a built tranny the price gets out of hand pretty quickly for me.