Holset Questions

RC K9

Not sure if this is the right section, so Mod, please move if necessary.

I am wondering if you guys know of places to find the bigger holset model turbos that are NOT ebay and craigslist. I am talking H1E/HX40 and bigger. These turbos came on a lot of applications like marine, machinery, and buses. All things you don't usually see (or at least I don't) in your typical junk yard.

Are there specialized junkyards for this kind of equipment? With everyone and their brother retrofitting holsets in recent years, the prices for these things in you standards markets are too high imo, especially considering I just want a rebuildable core. I'm not paying $400 for a dirty, rusty HX40 with a 58mm inducer when I am going to have to put another $400-$600 into machine work and upgraded parts. At that point I mind as well just buy a brand new BW S363-SX-E.

It seems long gone are the days of cheap holsets for the most part, but I know they are still out there. I just need some direction on where to look. I am typically pretty resourceful when it comes to car parts, but like I stated above, you just don't see the kind of equipment in the junk yards, at least not the many on the same street I hit up frequently here.