iPhone7/iOS10/iWatch2

dover

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no wireless charging?

I always assumed it was a gimmick feature til I got my Galaxy S6, now it's a must-have for me.

I'll check out the 7+ next year when I'm due for an upgrade, I like the dual cameras. Lack of headphone jack is a non issue, since they include an adapter.

Ive been on iOS10 and watch os 3 for some time now, its really great to use and quick. Kinda sad they made my watch pretty much un-sellable as they made the series 1 with dual core cpu so mine will be harder to sell.

Still no wireless charging?

I always assumed it was a gimmick feature til I got my Galaxy S6, now it's a must-have for me.

I'll check out the 7+ next year when I'm due for an upgrade, I like the dual cameras. Lack of headphone jack is a non issue, since they include an adapter.

next year is a complete re-design for the 10th anniversary iphone. it should be amazing which is why they didnt do anything big this year

Can't wait for all these people to buy the jet black version, and in a month it will look like shit from scratches. These fuck sticks can't take care of black car paint, let alone a phone with similar characteristics to black automotive paint.

First year since Gen 1 I will not buy. I will upgrade next year, only features I even care about are the water resistance and Camera, everything else, Meh. Not enough to get me to drop $850 over the next 30 months.

Nice how they finally price the phones correctly, as all carriers quit subsidizing. AT&T has my wife's line up for an upgrade, we could get a 64GB 6S+ for $28.34 a month. Should be the same for the 7+. We will wait until next year, all 4 lines will be eligible. We just went on AT&Ts $180 a month for 4 lines with unlimited Data, Voice, and text since we have DirecTV. Picked up a 4th line and dropped my bill by $30.

Pre-ordering a 7+, my only regret with my 6 was not getting the larger screen.

This, I originally got the 6 thinking it would be enough but I had to carry a 6+ for a few weeks for testing at work and missed it since. I know the 7+ isn't much of an upgrade but for me since I was going to change out to the 6+ anyway this is a welcome addition to me.

as far as the 10th anniversary edition I doubt apple will break from the standard refresh even though its the 10th anniversary.

This, I originally got the 6 thinking it would be enough but I had to carry a 6+ for a few weeks for testing at work and missed it since. I know the 7+ isn't much of an upgrade but for me since I was going to change out to the 6+ anyway this is a welcome addition to me.

as far as the 10th anniversary edition I doubt apple will break from the standard refresh even though its the 10th anniversary.

They will do a complete redesign next year, hence why there is no redesign this year when there should have been. They were just getting a phone out.

I'm in the opposite boat. I had a 6+ and bought a used 6 because the 6+ Was too large. If I need a bigger screen I just grab my iPad.

They have to, the 7 is the third stint in this body, it's the same as the 6 and 6s. You just can't see the antennas now. The 10th anniversary is rumored to lose the home button and have wireless charging that happens over wifi. Not needing a silly dock. The jet black is just a finish, all the other colors look just like the 6 and 6s.

in for videos of jobless sheep standing in line tripping over each other for hours to receive their 'hillary-phone'

You can't wait in line on launch day anymore, they did away with that a couple years ago. You have to pre-order online to get a phone on launch day. You then get an appointment to come pick it up at a store, why you would do that instead of shipping to your home is beyond me.

Oh and I couldn't get my order in for the first 15 min last year, and since my order was 16 min into the launch I didn't get my phone until a week after launch day.

Here is a good piece of info too:

If you buy a iPhone 7 or 7+, buy a Verizon or Sprint one. They have the Qualcomm modem that is CDMA and GSM. The AT&T and T-Mobile versions have the intel modem only that is ONLY GSM. Resale will be better for Verizon and Sprint phones.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

Choosing which iPhone model to purchase this year should be more carefully considered, as both AT&T and T-Mobile models of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus do not support CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint in the United States. Apple confirmed the matter in fine print in the iPhone 7 tech specs and on its LTE page.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2016/09/iphone-7-carriers.jpg

A customer that purchases an iPhone 7 from Apple's website and selects AT&T as their carrier, for example, would be unable to later use the smartphone on Verizon, Sprint, or any other CDMA network, even if the device is unlocked. By comparison, all iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models worked on both GSM and CDMA networks.

A customer that purchases an iPhone 7 from Apple's website and selects Verizon as their carrier, on the other hand, would also be able to use the smartphone on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or any other GSM or CDMA network.

It was previously reported that Apple would switch to Intel modems for select iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models, including AT&T models, and Intel modems do not support the CDMA standard in the United States. That is likely the reason why AT&T and T-Mobile models are limited to GSM networks.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2016/09/iPhone-7-wireless.jpg

Only Verizon and Sprint models support both GSM and CDMA networks

The same report said Qualcomm would supply modems for the remaining iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units, including Verizon and Chinese models, and this appears to be the case. Qualcomm modems support both the GSM and CDMA standard, which explains why the iPhone 7 from Verizon and Sprint will work on all carriers.

Qualcomm, which holds patents for WCDMA and CDMA2000 standards, is the main CDMA modem supplier in the United States. The company developed the first CDMA-based cellular base station in 1990, and since then it has licensed its technology to companies like Apple in return for royalty payments.

Until this year, Qualcomm was Apple's exclusive supplier of modems for LTE and Wi-Fi connectivity, which explains why the iPhone 6s and previous generations supported both GSM and CDMA networks regardless of carrier. But with Intel entering the mix, choosing which iPhone to purchase is now more meaningful.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2016/09/iphone-6s-wireless.jpg

All iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models supported both GSM and CDMA networks

The lack of CDMA support in iPhones with Intel modems may be short lived, fortunately, as Intel acquired CDMA assets from VIA Telecom in 2015. It is believed that this acquisition could pave the way for Intel to release its first LTE modem with both GSM and CDMA support as early as 2017 or 2018.

Ultimately, the most obvious choice should be to purchase a Verizon or Sprint model, even if you are an AT&T or T-Mobile customer, especially when considering resale value. However, some customers may have difficulty purchasing from another carrier, depending on their current status with their existing carrier.

Apple should also release an unlocked SIM-free model in the U.S., likely based on the Verizon/Sprint model, in a few weeks based on past launches.

Here is a good piece of info too:

If you buy a iPhone 7 or 7+, buy a Verizon or Sprint one. They have the Qualcomm modem that is CDMA and GSM. The AT&T and T-Mobile versions have the intel modem only that is ONLY GSM. Resale will be better for Verizon and Sprint phones.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference in longer battery life with the GSM only phones.

I would doubt it, Apple is calling for about an hour longer batt life from the 6s+ to the 7+ with the quad core that uses the small cores to do simple tasks. If that nets only an hour, no way a different modem is going to show longer battery life, I bet I could attain longer life by turning off GPS for Facebook and other apps that use it and suck battery like no other.