Where to sell car online?

zeitgeist57

It's been awhile since I've sold a car online - I'm pretty good at buying them, not getting rid of them :D - so I'd love to hear people's recent experiences with different online resources.

- eBay: The tried-and-true way to get a good, detailed ad out there that's cross-searched by a lot of different search engines as well. Cost is $125.

- Bring-A-Trailer (BaT): For $250, has anyone used this to sell a "classic" car (or as classic as 1985 is these days...)

- AutoTrader: I use them to browse more modern car makes/models - are they good for older vehicles? How are the prices?

- Craigslist: No. Just...no. I refuse to sell something like a car through CL anymore. As the internet has taught me: "Just because something is free does not make it valuable."

Welcome your feedback. Thank you!

I sold my accord in 3 days on Craigslist...first guy bought it...a clean car with good pics seemed to be key. Honest description and pics of any damage. I had records for recent maintenance which helped. Bought next care on CL as well. Used to be easy-just put an ad in the dispatch. Too many choices now-and most people don't have cash-so the dealer is the best option for them. Cars under $3000 that are decent-CL seems to work

I havent had much luck with autotrader and they are pretty expensive now. They advertise for a decent price but if you want your ad to look good you have to buy a bunch of extras. Iv had ok luck with CL but you get a bunch of idiots too. Is there somewhere you can park it with a " For Sale" sign? I have found that things sell better when people see it in person.

Agreed forums/facebook. Had ALOT of traffic through facebook to sell a vehicle. Ended up selling through craigslist. I still think craigslist is the best place, you just have to be patient, and sift through the crap.

Would not do autotrader. Its stupid what they want to list a item there now days. and the posts have a time limit of how long the add will be up, you have to pay more money for features its dumb.

Heck yes. It's a fun car, but I love my BMW (sporty convertible DD) and lowrider Lincoln (classic cruiser) a lot more. If I didn't have both of those cars I'd keep the LeBaron.

Since I don't have a garage or even access to a carport in FL, consensus with some close car buds is that the LeBaron would get eaten alive by the sun and salt spray, just like my Passat and the Cavalier now.

TL;DR - Na, Na, Na, Na...Na, Na, Na, Na...hey hey hey...goodbye.

So, I posted the LeBaron on CL and I was awoken 3 times in the middle of the night by Google Phone notifications...all from what I assume are fraudsters.

Can someone tell me what the fraud angle is on this type of message?

"I would like to buy it and have the shipper visit you to pick it up after you receive the payment,as i am unable to deal in person at the moment, do you have PayPal account for the payment ?

."

Do they somehow file a claim against your PayPal account if you give it? Do they pay you and then it gets rejected/returned?

If you decide to list it on a special interest forum, turbododge.com would be your best bet for that unit.

Any vehicle I've ever listed on Craigslist sold in a decent time frame, you just typically have to deal with at least 5 dipshits for every 1 serious buyer. However, it's free.

So, I posted the LeBaron on CL and I was awoken 3 times in the middle of the night by Google Phone notifications...all from what I assume are fraudsters.

Can someone tell me what the fraud angle is on this type of message?

"I would like to buy it and have the shipper visit you to pick it up after you receive the payment,as i am unable to deal in person at the moment, do you have PayPal account for the payment ?

."

Do they somehow file a claim against your PayPal account if you give it? Do they pay you and then it gets rejected/returned?

They use a fraudulent account or stolen credit card, when it's discovered, PayPal yanks your funds and returns it. You are out the $ and the car. I'd never use PayPal for anything of real value.

Edit,

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Advice-about-selling-a-car-recieving-payment-via-paypal/td-p/273176