317 vs ls3 heads ls guys please step in

hpfiend

Hey all-

I found a set of aluminum 317s for 150.00. I have a 2000 lq4 with the iron heads. This is for a turbo motor : They need a bit of work (broken bolts and cleaning) I am concerned tho that I won't be able to fit the 6.0 truck intake currently under the hood of the gremlin. If I need to buy heads and maybe an intake should I step it up to the ls3 parts? I have heard the ls3 heads have a thinner deck than the 317s but don't think I will need that much boost for 600rwhp. I know I will need offset rocker arms. But I also need to buy trunion upgrade for my 2000 lq4 rockers however as I believe gm made them better in 01. I am also buying new springs and injectors. Do I also need an ls3 fuel rail? I plan on using the truck drive by cable tb with an 07+ truck water pump.

Thanks!

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two pretty different set ups, both should do what you want. If going to the LS3 You'll need a lot more small items, a way to mount your cable bracket, fuel rail spacers or something because the injectors are different lenghts (there are more then a few ways for this to work), seems to me the valve covers are slightly different but may work, engines like a different camshaft design dependent on heads, the offset rockers and rocker stands, and I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Honestly you could go either way and get to 600 rwhp with boost pretty easy, maybe easier with the LS3 heads.

If you're concerned with clearance on the intake manifold and heads that need machining and work, HOT ROD just did a top end rebuild (albeit with an SBC) and they found out that after piecing together parts and making everything work (it didn't), you can save money and time by going with an aftermarket head/intake set that includes all the hardware, gaskets, valvetrain, etc and is guaranteed to be compatible.

Food for thought.

For your goals it can be all stock junk and make 600whp/ You can grab an LS1 intake for cheap and solve your clearance issues with cathedral heads.

I agree. Any stock intake with any 6.0 heads will make 600hp with boost. Go the cheaper route unless you plan on going for way bigger power later.