Website outage

Casper

Guys, gals, dogs.... Do to recent growth, I've been forced to upgrade to server sooner than expected. The new box gives us 4x the RAM and double the bandwidth. Woot. I'm working on the switchover. The website will be flaky the next few days. Don't worry, it's worth it.

Update 5/5/09 5:51PM: The site will be offline tonight starting around 7PM.

Update 5/5/09 10:30PM: We're up on the new server.

Update 5/6/09 2:50PM: I'm still working out a few bugs and updating some things, but it looks like most everything is good.

Update 5/7/09 1:20AM: Fixed the redirecting page issue.

Update 5/7/09 1:07PM: Implemented xcache. APC was causing problems with Zend.

Update 5/10/09 11:29PM: Figure out the double compression problem. IE: index.php compresses from 84k to 12k.

Update 5/11/09 12:29AM: Still working out emails bugs. This bug is causing reporting posts and approving new members to hang.

Update 5/11/09 2:28PM: Email problem fixed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell' date=' I'm one of the biggest nerds I know and I wouldn't touch that job. :thefinger:[/quote']

Just cause you like Mac's doesn't make you a nerd, or technically competent. It just means you're a simpleton and very vocal about how happy you are about it.*

* my apologies to those of you who may actually be technical and run a Mac cause its a BSD based OS now.

Just cause you like Mac's doesn't make you a nerd, or technically competent. It just means you're a simpleton and very vocal about how happy you are about it.*

* my apologies to those of you who may actually be technical and run a Mac cause its a BSD based OS now.

Ohio Riders' first server was a Mac. It's still under my desk. Honestly, it was the best host we've had. Dual G4 1ghz, 3GB ram, 300GB raid 1, etc. I wish I could afford the bandwidth to host myself. As soon as Fios makes its way to Ohio I'll be going back to hosting myself. And I'll probably pick up another Mac to host it on. Macs are rock solid.

Never been a real fan of the Mac server platforms and for a long time I was always big on "alternative" OSes. Started out doing admin on OS/2 in the 90's, then moved on to SCO (worst OS EVER), various linux and BSD OS's, etc... I still think my favorite OS for a server platform is FreeBSD.

:flingpoo:

I hadn't used FreeBSD til this job. Sucks. Gay. I've mostly used Solaris 10 and Red Hat, those I'm cool with.

I can't speak for current incarnations. It's been 7 or 8 years since I've run freeBSD. The few servers I'm responsible for (aka crap in my lab) is either Redhat based or win2k3 and I'm one of those bigot types that think redhat reaches its peak in version 5.2 and its been bloated ever since 6.0