Thoughts on TBSS to replace C5Z?

hpfiend

Hey all-

What do you know about the TBSS? I rarely drive the corvette anymore now that our 3 kids are older and going different places.

I have heard they drive pretty sporty for a truck. If I could get an X5M from Honda/Acura I would have it. I will not go German or this would be easy.

Does it make sense to buy a 100k mile TBSS when you can get a 5.3 4x4 trailblazer dirt cheap since you will have to replace the suspension anyhow on the SS at 100k and the 5.3 is a lot better CR for boost. I also have a 4wd 4L80e sitting in a truck at my dad's farm.

Basically trying to find something fast enough in a straight line and curves to not make me terribly miss the vette but also haul the kids and a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall in snow.

Subaru Outback winter beater I currently have will not handle a 4x8 sheet and I am getting tired of maintaining three cars/insurance/gas tanks/etc

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I would think the ls+boost combo would easily destroy a Hemi

-

Are you saying pass on 2wd or also

Pass on 4wd for only awd as the non Ss comes with 4wd

Thanks for the info on doors and suspension.

Just my opinion but get a 5.3 4x4. I have nothing positive to say about owning a tbss. They have glass transmissions (AWD at least), the oil sending unit easily clogs/sticks and starves the engine of oil, the ABS units are super sensitive and will randomly put the thing into limp mode on the freeway, Stabilitrak causes more headaches than anything, and only having 4 gears is a joke. The trans felt like it was either at too low rpms or too high, and it couldn't make up its mind which to be in.

This was all on a stock one though. Upgrade a few bits and I'm sure they're more reliable for daily grinding. They are pretty quick and fun trucks when they work. If you're stuck on a tbss I'd get a RWD model and shoot for 2007+. '06s (first production year) seemed to have all the issues. Or just get an SRT8.

Brian- that's what I have heard also- a few on tbss with upgraded trannys and oil pickups but otherwise I don't see the point of the ss unless u want the badges- thanks for the advice - also will look at srt8- not really a fan to be honest of our experiences with my dad's wk2 in Chrysler in general...

Personally I have always hated the Trailblazers, never did anything for me. The front diff on a 4wd might as well be made of glass, it's a big enough vehicle that a 4L60 would need upgraded to take much abuse. I like the trim in the SS better. I think a nice one would. E hard to find. Most Trailblazers with 100k on them just feel beat.

Also I remember not being able to ever find a comfortable seating position, like, ever. The wheel doesn't telescope and the seat felt like an office chair. There is a switch to adjust the pedals, but I still could never find the sweet spot where everything aligned. Also not found are pockets to store shit all over the place like any other suv ever. Minor gripes but they really start rubbing you after a while. I just remember the whole experience as it's not a great suv, and it's not a great sports car. Only has the cons of both.

Personally I have always hated the Trailblazers, never did anything for me. The front diff on a 4wd might as well be made of glass, it's a big enough vehicle that a 4L60 would need upgraded to take much abuse. I like the trim in the SS better. I think a nice one would. E hard to find. Most Trailblazers with 100k on them just feel beat.

I had a 4wd V6 TB and the glass thing is right. Front dif crapped out before 100k. By 100k it was just a ragged out POS. Chasing down check engine lights for the fuel/evap system since 60k. POS.

Yeah I have read that- hence the 4wd and using my 2500 Silverado 4l80e 4x4 setup in a 5.3 4x4 as opppsed to the ss

Why won't Cadillac put awd in the v??

But I would need it in the discontinued wagon for the plywood

I'd say keep the z06 and buy a crew cab work truck/family hauler honestly. If it were me, I'd miss the z06 within a week of getting rid of it.

+1.

Although, he's working on a drag car that would be his "occasional road hammer". :) I can see how the Z06 may be redundant...

I've had my Saab (3SS AWD) for 3 years and 50k miles. The biggest issues I've had were replacing the front wheel bearings/hubs twice and I currently have a slightly seeping p/s pump and front pinion seal. I'm also starting to get some of the GM rust bubbles. I'll probably do shocks next year as well.

My vehicle has had an aftermarket trans cooler since I bought it (very important on these) and I did Amsoil driveline fluids when I got it. Other than a tune and intake filter all else is stock.

It's my family DD and I use it to tow my rx7 to/from the track. It's been great at both with the only glaring negative being crap MPG (although not bad for towing). It's not a sports car replacement in any way though. It's fun to mash the gas and make noise but you quickly realize it's futile when you're carrying around so much weight.

Yep literally need to have a stack of new front hubs on hand. When they go, so does ABS and Stabilitrak, and it's dangerous. Mine went limp on the freeway home from the dealership. It was scary.

I also had issues with the tailgate glass not opening. I could adust some gay little plastic piece inside the gate so it would open, but then I couldn't unlock the whole tailgate. I even made a youtube vid about it. Weird/silly little issues like that all around.