Roma, Italy

dover

How long are you staying? I have been twice, 2 weeks at a time.

As you are in the military I recommend you check out:

The World War II Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial

if you can make it to Florence: Florence American Cemetery

Both sites to me were surreal.

I would research wwII sites that you would like to visit. I drove to Monte Cassino this huge church in the mountains that was bombed and rebuilt it was amazing. The Cassino War Cemetery, Anzio Landing Beaches, Gustav line, others are further from Rome.

As for Rome:

Old Ruins - Roman Forum

Pantheon

Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

St. Peters

Vatican

Sistine Chapel

Get ready to do alot of eating, drinking and walking. I recommend stopping and eating a small snack often as you are traveling around, you will try alot of dAnk food but wont fill you up to where you want to nap.

I would research wwII sites that you would like to visit. I drove to Monte Cassino this huge church in the mountains that was bombed and rebuilt it was amazing. The Cassino War Cemetery, Anzio Landing Beaches, Gustav line, others are further from Rome.

As for Rome:

Old Ruins - Roman Forum

Pantheon

Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

St. Peters

Vatican

Sistine Chapel

Get ready to do alot of eating, drinking and walking. I recommend stopping and eating a small snack often as you are traveling around, you will try alot of dAnk food but wont fill you up to where you want to nap.

Good looking out, I will definitely be diving in to some food and wine. This trip I will be there a week, I am overseas often so I am sure I will make it back through again. Thanks for the information!

As for Rome:

Old Ruins - Roman Forum

Pantheon

Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

St. Peters

Vatican

Sistine Chapel

Man the food in Rome was the best part.

Has everything covered here. If you want a treat, take a train to Modena and visit the Ferrari Museum, maybe try to get a tour of the factory.

Pay for a tour with the vatican, you will learn so much more. Its expensive but worth it. IF you didn't know the vatican, st. peters, sistine chapel are in the same place.

Also not mentioned yet. I liked climbing up to the top of the cupola at St. Peters.

For ANY item you can buy tickets in advance, even if there is a slight fee, its worth it. When we went to the Colosseum there was a 4 HOUR wait (this was not at peak season, it was Feb.). We walked in like bosses.

Beware of scam artists. Don't accept anything like flowers from anyone. And keep your wallet in your front pocket. Pick pocketing is an issue there. I personally would avoid places to eat close to major attractions. Your best bet is take some time to venture away and find local joints. You will get better food and a cheaper cost. Get the Rome 2-3 day pass on public transportation. I think it still gives you free admission to museums. If so that is worth your money. Cappuccinos if you drink that stuff is only made before noon. After 12PM espressos only. Just drink espressos you don't need anything else.

Beware of scam artists. Don't accept anything like flowers from anyone. And keep your wallet in your front pocket. Pick pocketing is an issue there. I personally would avoid places to eat close to major attractions. Your best bet is take some time to venture away and find local joints. You will get better food and a cheaper cost. Get the Rome 2-3 day pass on public transportation. I think it still gives you free admission to museums. If so that is worth your money. Cappuccinos if you drink that stuff is only made before noon. After 12PM espressos only. Just drink espressos you don't need anything else.

All very accurate. And if you like coffee you have to ask for americana, otherwise it is like he mentioned cappuccinos and just expresso, but honestly its better.

I cant emphasize venturing out enough, you will find much more enjoyment then the crowds of tourists and panhandlers around. Granted you should goto the big sites to at least visit them.

Get a few train tickets and go out of day trips, the speed trains can have you to Venice florence milan ect in 1-2 hours and you can enjoy bits of other cities. Rome is awesome for the ruins and monuments and history. I enjoyed Florence much more for the culture and environment. Venice is stinky, but its cool to say you have been then. Milan again just picture a big city like NY, Pisa was cool. The best fun me and my wife had was in Florence and out in the country. We rented a car just drove around (warning you think people are bad drivers in Ohio, holy shit they are NUTS in Italy) and went to dinner at to the country villas where no one spoke english, but the food atmosphere was exceptional.

If you stay in rome, try and see if you can get to a Roma football (Soccer) match, you will learn that they go harder then OSU during a night game...! Even if you dont like soccer its a fun experience.

Get good shoes, you will be doing lots of walking!

Thanks Brandon, I do plan on trying to get out of the city at least a couple of the days. Would love to make it to a futbol match if they have one. I will make a thread when I get back with all the pictures and info I retrieve.

something else I just thought of.. I remember cell service and wifi coverage being awful. I would download offline copies of the rome maps in google maps.

How to save offline maps on iPhone with the Google Maps app

Launch the Google Maps app and search for the area you want to save.

Tap on the menu button and choose Offline areas.

Tap on the plus button in the lower right corner.

Pinch and zoom the area to fine tune what you'd like to save. ...

Tap on Download.

Talk to your cell provider and get setup before you head over or you can get a throwaway sim card with preloaded data when get there.

Talk to your cell provider and get setup before you head over or you can get a throwaway sim card with preloaded data when get there.

FYI AT&T just has passport, in the app you designate the time you want your passport to start and you get 30 days of service and a selected amount of data you want. So easy, when you get to your destination reset your data statistic so you can track the data you are using and turn on data roaming. I used my iPhone as I normally do in the states when we went to Paris and Barcelona in September. I opted for the 800mb package for $120. Used about 80% of it. Well worth it, and just used my phone as normal. All MMS texting is free and unlimited with the plan. And calls were $.35 a minute. You also get access to protected Wi-Fi around Europe. Here is AT&Ts coverage for Italy:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/f6ab9d7f836a178c41a0f3dfce55ebff.png

Here are the 3 plans to choose from

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/907699ebc922085fa633542b6826c7db.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro