10-second Tesla P100D

zeitgeist57

So...you can now buy an AWD street car that goes 10.6 in the 1/4 mile off the factory floor, and you'll never have to change oil, a belt, 112octane fuel, gap spark plugs, rebuild a clutch, etc...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/tesla-model-s-p100d-ev-surprise-0-60/

I realize that $130k for a street car is expensive stuff, but relative to $800k+ hypercars it's ridiculous value. However, given the cost of what it takes to run a drag car, how does a P100D stack up?

Funny to think that you need a trailer bristling with solar panels (instead of extra parts, fuel) to carry your Tesla with drag slicks to track days, and it can get charged by the sun in-between runs. Crazy automotive world we live in these days...

$130K is just the price of the car, then you have to put a 5 point bar in it before any track would let you make a pass.

One of the fastest electric "doorslammer" cars/trucks is an S-10 owned by Shawn Lawless out of Youngstown and that is in the 9 second range. It looks like a mostly stock S10 and I wonder if it can be used as a street car.

http://www.nedra.com/photos/s11/s11_479.jpg

that's kind of the appeal of the tesla, not that it's a rip snorting 10 second drag car, but that you can use it to go out for milk at the grocery without doing anything but pushing a few buttons. Is that worth $130K vs whatever it cost to convert a regular drag car to an electric drag car, I don't know.

$130K is just the price of the car, then you have to put a 5 point bar in it before any track would let you make a pass.

Rules have changed. Cars that are OEM or close to OEM are allowed to go as quick as 10.0 and up to 135 before they need any safety equipment.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

I would think something like an M5 or RS7 w/chip would be quite a bit cheaper, just as fast, and probably (from everything I've read) nicer inside.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of vehicle electrification and am borderline evangelical about what I think Elon's going to do for human advancement. But, apples to apples I think it's hard to justify these cars right now. Their environmental benefit has to be worth something siginificatnt to you in order for one of these cars to be worth it.