Bow Hunting-2 separate questions, one being legal question

RC K9

Alright bow hunters, I have two separate questions pertaining to bow hunting. I have grown up hunting, and I did a LOT in my younger years, but I just never got into bow, so here it goes:

I am looking into getting a crossbow. I know in some states you can't hunt with a crossbow, though I believe it IS legal in OH unless the law has changed since I moved. That being said, what do I need to look for in a bow? Any quality companies I should look at in particular? Also, what would I be looking to spend? I don't need the best in the world, though I don't want garbage. I want reliability. Kind of like guns, I have never had an uber awesome gun, but when it comes to shotguns, I like the older winchesters, and the good ole Remington 870. I have never liked Mossbergs because of their safety location and they always feel like rickety junk. I know plenty of people that like mossbergs, but I have just never cared for them. So that being said, give me your recommendations and reasoning.

Now onto questions #2.

What are your interpretations of the law in regards to bow hunting city parks? I know that some suburbs have special programs where a certain amount of hunters are allowed to hunt certain pieces of registered land and have to go through a training course with the PD and blah blah blah. BUT, I want to know in regards to Columbus City Limits.

Now, I called the Columbus Department of Parks and Rec and talked to Ron Swanson, (ha ha, I wish. Son, you don't need permission from the government to kill your food. Don't ask, just do it.) In all seriousness though, the lady I spoke with said that hunting in city parks was NOT allowed as it was "against city ordinance." She did NOT cite the ordinance.

I did some digging and this is what I found:

Title 9, chapter 919, section 919.15-Archery

"No person, without privilege to do so, shall use any crossbow, bow, arrow, slingshot or any other projectile propelling device."

https://www.municode.com/library/oh/columbus/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT9STPAPUPRCO_CH919PARURE_919.15AR

Look at the part that says "without privilege to do so". It does not just have a blanket prohibition. It prohibits UNLESS you have privilege.

So then I look up the definition of "privilege" and I get this:

Title 23, Chapter 2301, Section 2301.01 Subsection L

""Privilege" means an immunity, license, or right conferred by law, or bestowed by express or implied grant, or arising out of status, position, office, or relationship, or growing out of necessity."

https://www.municode.com/library/oh/columbus/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT23GEOFCO_CH2301DEGEPR_2301.01DE

Under that definition, "license, or right conferred by law..."

So under that definition, if I have a hunting license, that IS my license and as such, my right conferred by law to hunt.

Lastly, under Chapter 2327, section 2327.16, subsection A;

"No unauthorized person shall hunt, trap, molest or kill any wild animal. This section shall not apply to property owners on their own property."

https://www.municode.com/library/oh/columbus/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT23GEOFCO_CH2327AN_2327.16KIMOWIAN

The term "unauthorized" I would think would be covered under my hunting license as that license authorizes me to hunt.

And since a bow is NOT a firearm as per the definition above, I COULD legally hunt in a city park as I would not be violating any city ordinances. No firearm, and I have a hunting license.

Is there anything anyone can add, or point out that I may be missing or misinterpreting?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not me wanting to be a crusader. Its just me wanting to possibly do what I am legally allowed to do. (I have been given a LOT of false info by government employees/public servants in the past. I would think citing the ordinances and definitions above should be enough for any reasonable office to say, "ok, be safe and have a good day" if there was an encounter.) If it was a possibility of a long drawn out legal battle, i'd have no interest, but based on what I am reading in the city ordinances, I don't know how it would come to that.

You're gonna have a bad time if you hunt in a city park without express permission. You will get hit with hunting without permission at the minimum, plus any city codes they want to get you with.

You're gonna have a bad time if you hunt in a city park without express permission. You will get hit with hunting without permission at the minimum, plus any city codes they want to get you with.

Can you cite the ordinance(s) that state express permission is required? I could only find where it said "privilege" which I addressed above.

Also, what city codes would you be referring to?

So then I look up the definition of "privilege" and I get this:

Title 23, Chapter 2301, Section 2301.01 Subsection L

""Privilege" means an immunity, license, or right conferred by law, or bestowed by express or implied grant, or arising out of status, position, office, or relationship, or growing out of necessity."

https://www.municode.com/library/oh/columbus/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT23GEOFCO_CH2301DEGEPR_2301.01DE

It's not as simple as you're making it out, trust me.. For starters -

"2301.01 - Definitions. As used in Title 23 of the Columbus City Codes: [...] "Privilege" means an immunity, license, or right conferred by law, or bestowed by express or implied grant, or arising out of status, position, office, or relationship, or growing out of necessity."

Last I checked there is also a specific season for bow hunting for certain animals (like white tail deer). I think it's Sept or Oct to Feb. I think there is a bag limit too.

I hate to be that asshole (ok maybe I don't) but use a little common sense here. Hunting on public land is limited to those areas controlled or administered by the Department of Wildlife. You shouldn't be down in the Topiary park off E-town street hiding behind a shrub shaped like a fat lady waiting for a white tail.

here is a neat interactive map where you can hunt:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlifeareas

If you are in the areas marked by red pins - you are pretty safe.

I ask because I know that some of the suburbs DO allow hunting, but its on a specifically authorized basis and the hunters are required to take a class administered by the PD.

FWIW the park I am thinking of and have been going to for over 10yrs is 100 acres and has some pretty big bucks and some nice sized does as well.

As for seasons and limits, I am aware of those as I have been hunting to one extent or another for the last 20yrs. I wasn't asking if I could go kill animals out of their regular hunting season.

here is a neat interactive map where you can hunt:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlifeareas

If you are in the areas marked by red pins - you are pretty safe.

As for being "safe", I don't know about that. I hate hunting popular public land as I have found it to be incredibly unsafe. There are a lot of idiots out there shooting at things they have no business shooting at.

Most of the deer info you need is here, and I'm sure you have read this link. http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

As for a crossbow, I got one as a gift a few years ago. It's a basic one, but really I feel that is all that I need for where I'm hunting. This is the best crossbow deal I have seen and close to what I have.

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/barnett-game-crusher-2-0-4x32mm-multi-reticle-scope-crossbow-package-16bt2ugmcrshr20xxabw/16bt2ugmcrshr20xxabw

For shotgun, I keep it simple there too. I don't have a distance shot, so I use one of the 870's I have and send a slug down a smooth bore. I still will hit my target. Hell, even my wife's 20 ga with a slug would be fine, IMO. I actually considered using that this year.

Hunting parks and the suburbs sounds like a lot of PITA for the chance of reward. I would not hunt in Ohio, if I didn't have deer come to my land. It is a bit frustrating.

Most of the deer info you need is here, and I'm sure you have read this link. http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

As for a crossbow, I got one as a gift a few years ago. It's a basic one, but really I feel that is all that I need for where I'm hunting. This is the best crossbow deal I have seen and close to what I have.

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/barnett-game-crusher-2-0-4x32mm-multi-reticle-scope-crossbow-package-16bt2ugmcrshr20xxabw/16bt2ugmcrshr20xxabw

For shotgun, I keep it simple there too. I don't have a distance shot, so I use one of the 870's I have and send a slug down a smooth bore. I still will hit my target. Hell, even my wife's 20 ga with a slug would be fine, IMO. I actually considered using that this year.

Hunting parks and the suburbs sounds like a lot of PITA for the chance of reward. I would not hunt in Ohio, if I didn't have deer come to my land. It is a bit frustrating.

Man that looks like a nice price on a bow...

If I could do it perfectly legally, hunting in this particular park would not be a PITA. I have seen deer, big deer, nearly every time I go. I know all the spots i'd hit up which are HEAVILY traveled by deer.

I know someone was bow hunting in the back of the park years ago because I saw the little deer piss scent swap thing dangling from a tree as I was exploring.

As for shotguns, I had an older Winchester 1300 smooth bore that served me VERY well. It was a light weight, accurate shotgun. Aaaaand...then it was stolen. I haven't been able to find a replacement for it since :(

As for being "safe", I don't know about that. I hate hunting popular public land as I have found it to be incredibly unsafe. There are a lot of idiots out there shooting at things they have no business shooting at.

Agree with you there, I just meant safe as in "safe from prosecution by a government agency" for doing something you shouldn't.

Idiots in tree blinds that have drunk more beers in an afternoon than fired rounds in their lifetimes are the reason I don't take hikes though the woods during hunting season anymore.

Two weeks back there was an 8pt buck walking through the parking lot of my apartment complex at 2am. More than anything I thought how great it would be to have bagged it, even if I had to do it with a baseball bat or hit it with my car (or as my friend used to say hunting with a 6600 caliber projectile fired at 80 feet per second). Sometimes, it's best to just to wait for the good areas.

If I could hunt that particular park, I would be making a trip up there again (I just got back from columbus 2 days ago) this winter or next fall.

I LOVE NE woods in the fall. I just will not go hunt public land, especially public land that i'm not familiar with, and finding someone to let you hunt private land seems to be a near impossible task. I did have access to land was out past Mt Sterling that I used to rabbit hunt on, and I had seen some very nice bucks, but the problems is, it's hundreds of acres of fields, so if you don't catch a deer at just the right time on just the right hedge row, you aren't bagging ish because the closest wooded property is not property I had permission to hunt on. :/

sounds to me like someone who's never dealt with a game warden......go ahead.....hunt the parks they're usually pretty understanding and willing to listen to your interpretation of the law.

99.9% of all hunters aren't drunks shooting from treetops as the idiot geeto67 would have you believe by spewing that ignorant garbage just as the same 99.9% of the people that spew that don't bite pillows on a regular basis.

I've hunted public land for 25 years. I wasn't familiar with it either when I first started. I put in the work and got maps and familiarized myself with it. Not near as easy as it is now with the internet having just about anything you wanted to know about the land on it including satellite views. I did it the old way with topo maps.

I don't and have never crossbow hunted so I can't really help you there. I will recommend you look at regular bows too. They're not point and shoot easy like a crossbow but they're much safer. Look at the diamond infinite edge which is made by bowtech. The mission craze bow made by mathews is also a very good starter bow. Both are bows built for starters but are so adjustable that anyone can use them. Me and my 12 year old son both shoot a diamond. He's only drawing about 30 lbs now so he can't hunt with his yet but I'm drawing 70 lbs with the same bow.

99.9% of all hunters aren't drunks shooting from treetops as the idiot geeto67 would have you believe by spewing that ignorant garbage just as the same 99.9% of the people that spew that don't bite pillows on a regular basis.

Nobody ever said 99.9% were, you are reading too much into that. Besides all it takes is to be the person that wins the .1% jackass lottery to have a very bad day.

Besides, Ryan said it was unsafe - I was just agreeing with him, why you biting my head off?

Edited by Geeto67

i've had slugs come a little too close for comfort during deer season, and fields of bozos unloading 12ga's without a thought as to what's behind the target they all missed during the first few weeks of pheasant season.

I'll pass. I go to the woods to get away from people, and oddly enough, I see people more often on public games lands than I do in the areas in this particular public park where I see all the deer.

Are a majority of hunters out there good, safe hunters? I would guess yes. But I have seen too many of them that have no business being in the field.

Honestly, I liked the way they did it in the area I used to hunt in central NY as a kid. It was a co-op of private land with #'s assigned. Land owners got first say if they wanted to hunt, but otherwise, you had to call in and reserve a plot of land for the day, and you checked in at this little station before you hit the field and checked out when you were done. It kept you from having to compete with other hunters in the field, and for the most part, it was regulated who was on what plot and when. Safer that way IMO, and was really awesome of the land owners to donate their land to safe hunting.

Honestly, I liked the way they did it in the area I used to hunt in central NY as a kid. It was a co-op of private land with #'s assigned. Land owners got first say if they wanted to hunt, but otherwise, you had to call in and reserve a plot of land for the day, and you checked in at this little station before you hit the field and checked out when you were done. It kept you from having to compete with other hunters in the field, and for the most part, it was regulated who was on what plot and when. Safer that way IMO, and was really awesome of the land owners to donate their land to safe hunting.

Did you have to pay for it because around here not many private land owners are going to let a random person hunt on their land. Sounds like what people do in hunting clubs around here. Most wildlife areas are fist come first serve around here except for a few waterfowl places that have lottery drawings for spots every morning before they open.

Did you have to pay for it because around here not many private land owners are going to let a random person hunt on their land. Sounds like what people do in hunting clubs around here. Most wildlife areas are fist come first serve around here except for a few waterfowl places that have lottery drawings for spots every morning before they open.

Nope. At least not directly. I'm not sure if the owners received some kind of monies from the state or not, which would obviously mean we indirectly paid with our taxes, but hunters never paid for anything. Simply call in, reserve, check in, check out.