Bow Hunting-2 separate questions, one being legal question

RC K9

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it'll get the job done. Still have another month of bow season left. Have to get out there now. I'm going Wed. to spend a day in the stand. Also going to put out a couple trail cams I got for Xmas. Theres a big Daddy I've seen the tracks of all fall on a road bed that I haven't been able to catch up to. Want to check out a little area I suspect he's using

First question is have you ever taken your hunter safety course? If not you'll have to get that taken care of first. It's a free course that you can study for online but you'll have to go to the class to take the test. Class is free. If you're 18+ you don't have to sit through the class....you can just show up, take the test, and leave if you want. I would suggest sitting through the class though. I've sat through it twice now with both my kids and if you're new to hunting it's a great place to get some pretty important safety advice along with asking any questions you might have and getting good solid answers to them. You can go to dnr.state.oh.us and look up when/where classes are.

There is an apprentice license you can get without taking the test but you'll be required to hunt with a licensed person who has had the class. This late in the year and being new to it all I would highly recommend skipping the hunting right now and just focusing on getting the safety course taken care of and scouting areas for next season.

That being said and for future reference I'll give you 2 good spots to start. Take into consideration that I haven't hunted either of these places in over 20 years so things may have changed but I spent a lot of time hunting these in the early 90's when I lived in Columbus.

40°15'52.7"N 82°59'03.0"W

This used to be an excellent spot. Look at it in earth view and you'll see what I'm talking about. I used to hunt right on that point basically....maybe 40 yards from the tip of it. It starts opening up there from the grassy field area. It's a bedding area that has 2 travel areas to it. I would see them come up that old road bed as well as along the grassy field under the power lines. That gravel parking area wasn't there so foot traffic up that road bed might be an issue. I would still hunt that and do 2 things. I wouldn't park there first off and I would hunt it odd ball times when people won't be in and out of there. Just a place to start....you will probably end up hunting somewhere completely different. I will say don't pass over the most obvious places like this because it's close to the road or close to parking. The 2 biggest bucks I've ever killed I could see my truck from the stand. People like to hike in as far as possible to "get away from everyone" but deer are smart. They'll find those places where people will walk right past them. I killed a 13 point 2 years ago behind an old cemetery that had every tom, dick, and harry walking through it to look at the old stones. I shot him 30 yards from the edge of it. I also shot a really nice 8 point in the exact same tree several years before and had a shooter 8 by my stand last year in that same spot. I didn't hunt it at all this year because that's another superstition or learned behavior I've developed over the years. I'll rest my spots because I think over time deer start seeing each other get shot in a particular area they start avoiding it. :D I know.....it sounds crazy but I've had spots go from boom spots to nothing way to many times so now I lay out of them for a couple years after killing a few in the same spot.

40°19'05.9"N 82°56'43.2"W

This is another area I spent a lot of time in up off hogback rd. There's a bunch of good spots in here so I can't really pin 1 spot that I liked to hunt. There's some good ravines in here and I saw several really mature bucks in here. I would get near the back of it and find some travel routes in and out of those fields behind it. Just make sure you don't get onto private land so stay far enough inside that won't be an issue. This time of year is a great time to get in and scout spots for next year...especially if we ever end up with any snow on the ground so you can see where they're traveling and direction. The work you put in now will pay dividends next season. I spend almost every muzzy season scouting spots for next year. I've muzzy hunted every year for 30 years and have only ever shot 1 deer during muzzy season and that's because I spend most of my time walking and looking. I'm sure I've been responsible for a bunch of deer killed by guys hunting near me since I was a 1 man drive. :D

Good story about the hogback spot. I was probably 19-20 at the time and worked a 3rd shift job. I would get off in the morning and go hunt hogback until 2-3pm then go grab a couple hours of sleep before going back to work. Rinse/repeat for most of the week.

I did that one time and fell asleep in the woods. I mean a hard sleep. I woke up cold as hell and it was pitch black out. I had no idea where I was. Since I normally quit at 2 or 3 I had no flash light. It was like I broke every rule of being in the outdoors but like I say....I was young. :D It took me forever to figure out where the hell I was at and find my way out of there in the dark. By the time I got back to my truck it was almost time to go to work again so I just went back to work and never made it home that day. :D Lesson learned.

Edited by xlr8tn

I'm going to post a good link. I get into this stuff as you might tell. :D This is a study penn state did where they captured a buck and put a gps tracker on it. Very very cool stuff if you're into deer hunting and some lessons to be learned here. I'm also pretty sure I know what happened to him and maybe why he went to that same ridge out of his range twice. I won't give my opinion though and see if anyone else comes up with the same guess....and it is just a guess.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2015/the-life-and-times-of-buck-8917

I'm going to post a good link. I get into this stuff as you might tell. :D This is a study penn state did where they captured a buck and put a gps tracker on it. Very very cool stuff if you're into deer hunting and some lessons to be learned here. I'm also pretty sure I know what happened to him and maybe why he went to that same ridge out of his range twice. I won't give my opinion though and see if anyone else comes up with the same guess....and it is just a guess.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2015/the-life-and-times-of-buck-8917

I wonder if the spot he dies is where he was born...

I wonder if the spot he dies is where he was born...

That question was asked in the comments section. This was his reply.

I don't think that anyone has ever followed a wild, free-ranging deer from birth, to adulthood, to death. And I'm quite sure no one has ever documented that a deer returned to its natal (birthplace) home range to die.

About 25% of yearling males DO NOT disperse from their natal home range. And in areas of contiguous forest deer that do disperse travel an average of 2-4 miles. So this location has a fairly high probability (at least 25%) of being within his birthplace.

However, I think this would still be really unusual. Of all the dispersing males we have studied, none have ever returned to their natal home range.

My guess has to do more with where he was it just prior to going to that distant ridge. Both times he had crossed that road immediately prior to going there.

• 2 weeks later...

days like today separate the men from the boys. I'm heading out the door now with the muzzy. It only takes 1 deer dumber than I am although that may be hard to find right now because I'm feeling pretty damn dumb going to sit in 5 degree weather. :D

Like the saying goes "there is no bad weather......only bad clothes."

days like today separate the men from the boys. I'm heading out the door now with the muzzy. It only takes 1 deer dumber than I am although that may be hard to find right now because I'm feeling pretty damn dumb going to sit in 5 degree weather. :D

Like the saying goes "there is no bad weather......only bad clothes."

http://i.imgur.com/bhylfoQ.jpg

:masturboy:

I screwed the pooch. Saw 4 between 11-1. Had a big doe come in from behind me. She bounded when I tried to get turned on her. She stopped about 50 yards out and I rushed the shot and missed. Sucks ass. She was a nice size deer too. Gonna give it another try tomorrow but have a feeling that miss is gonna haunt me until next season. :D

not a chance I could hunt in this. I will gladly be a fair weathered hunter

I really wasn't that bad today. I got up and moved twice so that helps keep some heat in you. I never really got cold though....Just my face for the most part. I have a full face mask but don't really like wearing it so I keep it up most of the time and pull it down if I have to. Truck said 3 degrees when I went it but it had warmed up to a balmy 9 at 330 when I came out.