Home-built carport project

zeitgeist57

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

- I don't do these things just to save money (though I can't imagine how much a crew would charge to pour a concrete pad, install carport), but to control the process as much as I can. It's engineered to be DIY, so just a few process points and it was relatively simple; just very time-consuming and definitely a workout on my body...and my truck!

- Any feedback on where I can get barn wood, or "mid-century modern" inspired siding options for cheap would be great, like Shaun's suggestion for aluminum slats/trim. Not in a rush to do that, but it would add a classy touch to the finished product.

Roofing panels are done! Need to clean up the mud, leftover rocks, and power-wash the driveway for finished pics. I'm also thinking about some LED lighting options.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the money I saved by doing this myself, I'm putting towards a professional resurface of the asphalt driveway. Most people use Golden Bear Blacktop, but I'd be happy to have a friend-of-CR do it...

For lighting options you might look into LED light strips. They make waterproof versions. I've been thinking about doing some of this in my basement and also inside the race trailer.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpensive-Garage-Lights-From-LED-Strips/

I have some of the strips at the house if you want to take a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for lack of an update. The carport is done and does exactly what I expected it to do. :)

Over the last couple of windy, rainy fall days, the Lincoln's nose and tail have gotten some sideways raindrops, but the main cabin is dry. CTS-V is dry as well. Again, main focus was in getting sun/rain/snow off the cars, so it's doing a great job.

I still need to do a final inspection with the City of UA, and I am going to make an appeal to NOT have to do a dry well (which the city inspector said I could easily get away with a rain barrel). Time to work the charm.

I'm proud that I went through all this effort, though it was a bear of a job.