chromebook question

xlr8tn

Little late for this I guess as my wife has already ordered but I can always return it I guess.

My 10 yr old daughter wanted a chromebook for xmas. I know shit about them but after a the little reading I did I couldn't really find a reason why she specifically wanted a chromebook. I think maybe they use them in school or something. We ordered this instead since it was roughly the same money. Thoughts? POS? Suggestions? Should we have just bought her the chromebook?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLCKP1Q/ref=twister_B01L9OZU32?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Difference between what you got her and a chromebook is the OS. Chrome OS vs Windows 10

If you need MS apps stick with what you bought. If it doesn't matter get her a Chromebook, most will be able to support Android apps soon (which is probably why she wants it)

90% of consumer grade laptops/notebooks in that price range are pieces of shit. As said above, chrome books use Chrome OS which is very different from windows. its all cloud based computing. Cant install anything on it either. Would avoid unless literally all she is going to do browse the internet.

That said, the one you got should work for a 10 year old.

I bought my wife a chromebook last year because she just does basic web browsing... I learned real quick that the parts are cheap (I've already had to replace the keyboard) and printing on it is a huge pain in the royal ass.... You can do basic word processing, web browsing, etc... and it works as it should or that stuff... also most are ultrabooks with good battery life. With that being said, the Windows 10 machine is the way to go in my opinion... it's gonna be slow as balls with those specs but for a 10 year old it should be just fine.

that little HP laptop will do the trick for a while. Aside from internet browsing and listening to music things will be fine. HAVING SAID THAT! I would not recommend installing anything like Photoshop or any photo editing tools because the little thing will not be able to handle it. The hard drive in that little thing is basically an SD card, so don't expect crazy fast transfer speeds.

once again... for simple tasks and everyday life it will be perfect, just don't do anything crazy on it and you will be happy.