Highlander Hybrid?

Trouble Maker

I've got a friend who's even more of a tree hugging hippie than I am, but he has 3 kids with 1 on the way so the Fit & Matrix combo won't work anymore.

What's the good/bad on these?

I'm not sure yet if he's looking new or used. I assume last gen is a mech AWD system, and it looks like this new gen is hybrid through the road. So between a generation change and powertrain change, they are probably pretty different cars.

As if I haven't said it enough - on a CAR FORUM focused on RACING - if this guy is going into kid #4, he needs a minivan more than his stupid pride around driving an SUV.

Odyssey/Sienna/Sedona, then look at Quest/Pacifica/Caravan...All are around 300hp, can easily do 85mph+ cruising on the highway, achieve 25+MPG on regular gas, and even with good tires go most places you'll be taking your young family in any weather.

If he's a greenie, then Pacifica Hybrid is coming out and will be cheaper than a Highlander Hybrid.

Anyone with more than 3 kids that still gets a CUV is dumb. :dumb:

Brought to you by the authors of "how to make your underwear last 15 years" and "not wearing your socks inside out the day after? a pox upon your land, you resource-draining shitbag!"

As if I haven't said it enough - on a CAR FORUM focused on RACING - if this guy is going into kid #4, he needs a minivan more than his stupid pride around driving an SUV.

Odyssey/Sienna/Sedona, then look at Quest/Pacifica/Caravan...All are around 300hp, can easily do 85mph+ cruising on the highway, achieve 25+MPG on regular gas, and even with good tires go most places you'll be taking your young family in any weather.

If he's a greenie, then Pacifica Hybrid is coming out and will be cheaper than a Highlander Hybrid.

Anyone with more than 3 kids that still gets a CUV is dumb. :dumb:

They have a Fit & Matrix; they've done multiple family trips to other states in the Fit. I think they'll be just fine in something 2-3x the size regardless if it's a minivan or SUV. I know the benefits of a minivan to families, I agree, they are really the ideal form factor for that situation

He doesn't care about the whole minivan VS SUV thing. He's not the type to measure his manhood by his car, at all. They drove the Sienna & Highlander back to back and liked the way the Highlander drove a ton more than the Sienna

I think it would be a hard stretch to get him to buy a domestic car. I'm honestly not a big fan of Chrysler products in general so I'd be hesitant to steer him that way; sorry Phil!

Hybrid cost/benefit doesn't make sense when repairs are factored in...a 5k Odyssey Touring will do everything you need and little depreciation

He's going to buy new. He's a pediatric emergency surgeon. I don't think he needs to worry about getting a 10 year old used Odyssey to save money. They keep cars for a long time so that will help the cost/benefit.

So, back on topic. Are there any known big issues with the new Highlander hybrid or Toyotas hybrid through the road systems in general?

Hybrid cost/benefit doesn't make sense when repairs are factored in...a 5k Odyssey Touring will do everything you need and little depreciation

My FiL got a Tesla Model S, and now my wife and MiL are nuts about the ride and speed of a Tesla. My wife wants us to look at a Model 3 when they come out...

As a more pragmatic option, I suggested the Pacifica Hybrid. Less than $40k for a well-optioned minivan that will get really good eMPGs and let us "reset": we've got a paid-off 2010 Odyssey, but will need a minivan for the next 15+ years anyway.

Bottom line is Bruce's point above: unless someone gets a great deal on a hybrid with as few miles as possible, the economics are hard to work out for hybrid tech unless they're driving more than 200k miles out of the vehicle.

OT: My bad for taking this thread off the rails. :lol:

Where are you going to find a sub $5k Odyssey that's worth a damn? Used car prices are high right now.

The Pacifica is a really nice van, many have said the best on the market right now. Talk trash about reliability all you want, but there's a lot of that that comes down to regular maintenance. There are plenty of Dodge/Chrysler minivans with over 200k miles. The PHEV should be hitting dealers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

3 kids with 1 more on the way? wtf? Doesn't he see how our overpopulation is raping our mother nature and depleting our resources?!? Buying a new vehicle is contributing to the profit-machine that will steal his children's youth and turn them into super-consumers!

They should all walk. Or ride a bike. But a used minivan makes sense too.

Hybrid LOL He's just buying into big corporations marketing, then in a few years when it comes out they pollute slightly more than promised he'll be forced to take a handsome buyout and give his ozone-depleting pollution-mobile back to be wastefully crushed. Oh the humanity!!!

:gabe: