Civic suspension

The_buster

Yes... here we go, another Buster thread..

Anyway. I had the car on the lift to do a quick inspection to see what all needs attention this spring. Basic things, like brakes, ball joints, tune up, and the clutch finally is going to get fixed(throwout bearing was noisy when purchased). I noticed the front struts seemed to be weak and had some slight leakage around the top. So I started pricing some things out. I found stock replacement front struts for about 300 for the pair.... But out of curiosity I looked up lowering coil overs. Found a set made by Raceland for 369, plus shipping and tax, for all 4 corners.

I would like to lower the car, and had put this idea back as a future thing. I am planning on keeping this car as long as possible and would like to do a few minor mods. Lowered, rims, intake/exhaust, upgraded stereo- currently only has working front speakers. Also not sure if it would need a minor tune after the intake and exhaust?

But, back to the main point of this thread. Has anyone heard of this brand? They do have a lifetime warranty. I just don't want to fall into a get what you paid for trap. Here is the link to the website : https://raceland.com/honda-coilovers/civic-2001-2005/honda-civic-em2-coilovers.html?gclid=CJXe9OjWsNECFcO3wAodFnQLog

I have had experience with them through close friends, I would not use them for what you are trying to do and what you use the car for. You would be much better off in the long run buying a lowering spring set up on a set of nicer struts.

The problem with coil overs for street use, especially cheap ones are the following-

-At the "highest" height setting the car is still to low

-You will likely need supporting parts to get the alignment correct

-The springs are always too hard and make the car handle like garbage

-Coil overs, especially the cheap ones don't hold up as well as struts with extensive street use

If you are not going for hella fresh unicorn wheel fitment just stick with a solid strut/spring combo.

I did this back in my Honda days and was fucking miserable.. mostly because I didn't cut the bump stops and didn't get an alignment. It veered all over the road and I felt every single bump in my spine.

Either buy a full suspension setup or leave it stock. Trust me.

If you are planning on lowering the car in the future and you are doing maintenance on the suspension, it may be worth looking at what you will need to use to correct the camber. When you lower a car it inherently will add negative camber, it is common for cars to not have any camber adjustment built in from the factory. I'm not familiar enough off the top of my head with what your particular car will need. It is also possible that what you would need to do has nothing to do with the maintenance you are performing, in which case disregard worrying about it now.

$400 coilovers? That blows my mind. The Civic aftermarket must be really different than what I'm used to, or those are 100% junk. Normally just passable coilovers start at $1000 with good ones starting around twice that. If you want something drivable I agree with Geeesammy, a good (not slammed) set of springs and struts is the way to go.

Frankly, I think a nice conservative drop looks and works best:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3234/3489/33084244041_original.jpg?v=2

I don't want super slammed dragging everything. I was looking for a 1 to 2 inch drop. The road I live on now is very wavy, historical brick road that they won't fix, also there is ano old speed bump in our alley that for some reason was put almost at the crest of the little hill. I still want the car to be functional.

I don't want super slammed dragging everything. I was looking for a 1 to 2 inch drop. The road I live on now is very wavy, historical brick road that they won't fix, also there is ano old speed bump in our alley that for some reason was put almost at the crest of the little hill. I still want the car to be functional.

Geebus, man...this is a clincher. If there are bricks and city-doesn't-care-about-your-stance speedbumps right outside your front door, I would pass for now.

Save your money for better parts. You spend half of your budget on Racelands and you'll spend 3x more fixing parts on your car when suspension bits/oilpans/tires wear out prematurely.

If you are going that route, replace everything up there while you have it apart. And get the damn thing aligned! Cheap coil overs are hit or miss, we've used several different eBay specials on different cars, customer provided, with different levels of satisfaction but nearly all of them DO ride considerably harder than a stock setup. Keep in mind you'll also need a camber adjustment setup or your tires are going to die a quick death, many cheap kits don't come with them.

It's an odd world we live in that putting a stock suspension on a car is more expensive than adjustable aftermarket, but here we are. If no one makes a quick strut or complete strut/spring assembly you are going to need a spring compressor that can do the job.

Just some additional info

P.S.

On the tire subject many chain stores and tire shops won't warranty OR align your car once its been lowered. So you may be not only chewing up tires more quickly but also with 0 warranty.

Just priced out some eibach and the kyb gr2 struts. Looking like 640 for all 4 on ebay. Are there better places to buy from? Also as far as tires and alignment, I can do alignments at work. Tires I'll figure out how I can work around that....

NurkLOL! I grew up in C-ville. Has a few ol' brick roads.

Dude, it's a civic. Just drive a stock civic. K.I.S.S. If it needs a suspension "upgrade" just get good replacement parts and drive it.

Just priced out some eibach and the kyb gr2 struts. Looking like 640 for all 4 on ebay. Are there better places to buy from? Also as far as tires and alignment, I can do alignments at work. Tires I'll figure out how I can work around that....

It's. A. Stock. Civic.

...right?

"Tires I'll figure out how I can work around that" = I have no clue what I'm doing. Get good fuckin' tires. Jeez.

I don't usually "cuss" online but holy hell...

Dude, look, I've been driving shit vehicles most of my life. I have a wife and a kid. Had another on the way but we lost her. WHY are YOU so adamant about modifying shit? I just sold my work truck I no longer needed. Made a damn good profit on it after driving it for nearly 2 years and taking it from ~240K miles to almost 300K miles.

We currently have 2 white Crown Vic's. One is a 1995 with 130K miles, 2 owners we both know (same fam), super low miles for the year, all maintenance records, and ZERO rust. You know what I'm gonna do to it? Put in the FREE CD player my FIL gave us...once the weather is nicer. It's cold and eff that. My wife drives it. My toddler rides in it. It's solid. Fuck modifying shit on it.

The other is a 2008 Police Interceptor I got from Jordan at Jet Auto Group a couple years ago. I won't disclose the deal for Jordan's sake, but he took shit in on trade and cash and gave me a reliable vehicle.

I don't give a rat's ass about impressing anyone or driving what others think is cool anymore. I've been through hell and back and all I care about is providing for my wife and son.

I'm helping my father rebuild a family heirloom and got a potential future project in a classic 1951 GMC truck rolling chassis for $100, but IDGAF about it.

Take care of your family. Drive a fuckin' civic. Stop caring about what others think or looking cool or going fast. Take care of shit that matters FIRST. Family. Shelter. Debt.

We're less than $20K TOTAL debt now. That includes no rent/mortgage. That includes school loans, medical bills, and all. We've paid off all credit cards save for one, and we owe under $200 on it. Our cars we own outright. Our residence, albeit a tight as hell tiny cabin in the woods of the Hocking Hills with an all pine interior, is paid for.

Get. Out. Of. Debt.

Find the most COST efficient solution that is SAFE. Who gives FUCK how cool me or anyone else on here or in the world thinks your fucking daily driver looks? What works for YOU and YOUR FAMILY?

Will paying ~$800 for a suspension "upgrade" affect your wife/girlfriend/kids/fam? DON'T DO IT!

You post often asking for advice. There you have it. Do what is best for YOU and YOUR FAMILY. Fuck "impressing" others. It's all shit in the end.

If "upgrades" leave you, your fam, or your kids without, you're failing.

I failed. For years. I left my wife wanting more than what I provided (not sexually you dumb ass trolls, fuck off).

STOP asking a damn forum for advice. Man up, sack up, take care of your family.

The people here don't give a shit if your civic looks cool, looks stock, runs a 9 second 1/4 mile or an 19 sec 1/4 mile. You want respect? Man up and do YOU. Everyone can respect that. Doesn't matter if you show up to CC&C in a damn Bugatti if you're an asshole who makes his fam suffer.

There. I said it. Blame it on the shit I went though in 2016, the fact that I've been through hell the last 3 years, or the bourbon. There's a life lesson. For free.

Next time I'll bill ya.

tl;dr - Stop asking fuckin' questions and do what's best for your family.

Edited by Otis Nice