My new C-Max (long)

greg1647545532

Seems to be boring family car season on CR. Some of you may have seen my Mazda5 ad for a hot minute, here's the car that replaced it:

http://i.imgur.com/A1o5XXfh.jpg

2013 Ford C-Max Energi. I loved the Mazda5, but my wife never warmed up to driving a manual which relegated her to our increasingly sketchy Sedona for her daily commute now that she's back in the workforce. I was looking for an efficient runabout for her, with my own requirements being that it have nice seats. I'm pushing 40 and my frequent trips to Dayton/DC are hell on my back in most cars. High up on my list of potentials was the new Mazda3, but after a quick test drive it became clear that the seats weren't that great and the back seat was insufficient for 3 kids. We also drove a Prius and I was unimpressed with the interior for the price. Lastly, and based solely on a google search for "best factory incentives Dec 2016" or something, I decided to look at a 2016 C-Max Energi. Clearly we liked it, although I ended up buying a used one. More on that later

Let's start with the cons. It's a hybrid that gets an EPA rating of 40/36. This after a lawsuit forced them to stop listing the Fusion Hybrid mileage numbers for this ridiculous brick of a car. A Prius it is not, especially on the highway. It's also not much of a hatchback -- since the regular C-Max was never intended to be a hybrid, it has a bulge in the trunk floor for the battery pack. The Energi, with it's much bigger 5.8 kWh battery pack is even more ridiculous. Trunk space isn't great. I'll be honest, the mileage and the storage issue are going to be dealbreakers for a lot of people. Other cons, like the raucous engine noise, the pithy CVT, and the sometimes harsh transition between electric/gas power are just things I think you need to deal with on a car like this.

The big pro is the price. This car is a sales dud. I was quoted $27k by Ricart for a 2016 top-of-the-line SEL with a pretty good option package, based on something like $9k in Ford incentives off the $37k sticker price. On top of that, there's a $4k federal tax credit. This is a lot of car for around $24k, and it sure was tempting. Ultimately, though, those same incentives/credits affect the used market as well, and there are a lot of cars coming off 3 year leases right now. I found this one at a no-haggle dealership listed at $13.9k with 28,000 miles on it, and it had the top of the line option package. Power heated leather seats, 9 speaker stereo, remote start, panoramic glass roof, auto-dimming rear view mirror, heated side mirrors, self-parking, voice controls, etc. It's a deal.

The other things we liked about it were the big rear seat and the gas mileage, because 40mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at. Oh yeah, and if you plug it in for 7 hours you can do 20 miles* on good ol' Ohio fracking power. Not too shabby.

*Today was actually the first time ever that it told me I might actually get 20 miles. Range is affected by temperature, speed, and whether or not you're willing to drive around without the heat on like my wife. Some days it's only offered us 7 all-electric miles, but then we've only owned it for 4 weeks and it's been winter the whole time.

So, this is for your wife? NOT for you?

Guess you could do worse for a significant-other car. I mean, it's got way more room than a scooter and creeping on VW tdi fuel economy :gabe:

I'd have told dat bish to deal with a manual or deal with the bus. Or walking. Or riding a bike, her choice.

So, this is for your wife? NOT for you?

I work from home so I don't really drive much, for the first time since I've been married we don't really have his/hers, we just have the nice car and the shit hauler. Oh, I also have the Miata, and there's an E36 sitting in my driveway, so it's not like it's all bad for me.

Just curious. Are you charging it using the standard cord or did you upgrade to a charging station?

110V for now, since the EV range is so short there's not much benefit to 220V. I'll probably get that anyway when I rebuild my garage in the next year or two just to future proof it, though.

my buddy had one of these as his company car. the EV range on this thing will eventually be like 3 miles. totally not worth it. has the roof recall been done? his had like 5 recalls in 1 year i believe. The roof recall is basically they remove the pillars plastic bits and weld in supports since the roof cannot support the car in the even it rolls.

my buddy had one of these as his company car. the EV range on this thing will eventually be like 3 miles. totally not worth it.

I'm confused, because mine is a 2013 model, and 2013 was the first year they were produced, and my EV range is as-advertised... what time travelling shenanigans have allowed your friend to predict my future EV range?

has the roof recall been done? his had like 5 recalls in 1 year i believe. The roof recall is basically they remove the pillar plastic bits and weld in supports since the roof cannot support the car in the even it rolls.

You mean this one?

Ford Motor Company is recalling certain model year 2013 C-Max hybrid vehicles, without panoramic roofs, that were manufactured January 19, 2012, through June 25, 2013. During vehicle testing, the vehicle exceeded a head injury criteria requirement set by the standard.

Doesn't apply since I have the glass roof. Also,

dealers will install energy absorbers between the headliner and the roof.

???

I give this post 2 thumbs down for accuracy, but +5 vigor for giving me something to do during a slow day.

I'm confused, because mine is a 2013 model, and 2013 was the first year they were produced, and my EV range is as-advertised... what time travelling shenanigans have allowed your friend to predict my future EV range?

You mean this one?

Doesn't apply since I have the glass roof. Also,

???

I give this post 2 thumbs down for accuracy, but +5 vigor for giving me something to do during a slow day.

oh yea, you have that fancy roof, disregard my comments about the roof recall. Also most of his recalls were software updates and not really a big deal at all.

I just know his car only ran on electric only for like 3 miles. hopefully your experience is better.