BMW M3 fans

Forrest Gump 9

100 mile lightweight? Yea.. that'll go from one euro collector to another. No way anyone actually buys that to drive it.

Ya think? Whoever buying have enough disposable income to do so. This particular M3 will probably never be driven in a normal manner ever. May be in a museum

When the cars were new, I had a friend that worked at the local Porsche/BMW dealer who gave me a ride in a lightweight M3. Other than it is a 1 of 100 car, there is no real different feeling from a common e36 M3. The only thing I think is cool on the car is that the doors are aluminum and the skin is thin, but it's not something you would notice.

I remember beating the piss out of a friends new M3 back in 1997 and being really impressed with the car, and then testing driving another friends car that I was considering buying in 2012 and thinking how ordinary it felt. To be honest I like driving the 318 versions of the e36 better because they remind me of my old 2002. It's one of those cars that was really great for it's time and is still mostly good but a new hatchback fwd ford will blow its doors off.

BMW collectors are starting to get like those Porsche dildos who buy things like 1 of 4.5 special edition super ugly color combos and then seal them up in a climate controlled tomb. I'm happy there is 1 lightweight car preserved for historical purposes but I'm more glad $4k will buy you a decent e36 M3 to beat the piss out of.

I'm more glad $4k will buy you a decent e36 M3 to beat the piss out of.

Maybe for a rusty, automatic, salvage title car or vert. Reasonably solid e36ms are still $6k-$8k, and a nice one will be even more. The automatics are worth MUCH less, the auto verts are almost worthless. But they're no fun at all to drive.

If we got the euro cars for euro prices, I'd be all over one in a heartbeat for the $8k they sell for in ROW. But, the same can be said of all the evos, rx7s, etc that don't have the insane fanboi markup overseas.

Maybe for a rusty, automatic, salvage title car or vert. Reasonably solid e36ms are still $6k-$8k, and a nice one will be even more. The automatics are worth MUCH less, the auto verts are almost worthless. But they're no fun at all to drive.

$6K-8K is still a pretty good price considering the platform. I dunno though, $6-8K on CL or cars.com sure, but if you really look outside you can probably find a clean, albeit high mileage, example closer to $4K. Another friend offered me his 2 owner dakar yellow m3 5 speed coupe with 167,000 miles on it for $4500 last year and it was bone stock unmolested. I balked because I had bought the E90 sedan.

but you are probably right most $4K cars will be this:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5987353063.html

But then again, for a performance car beater you can DD with 0 fucks given and then set on fire and walk away if something major happens - it's still a pretty good value.

despite being an automatic I think this is a pretty good deal for a near 20 year old DD:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5971027661.html

but AutoLOL. I'd pay $2K more to have the manual if I was considering buying one:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5960932243.html

to be honest though, I would actually rather have this:

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5977847624.html

the last spiritual successor to the 2002, e21, and e30 4 cyl cars. It's not valuable, it's punchy, it's light, and nobody will give it a second look. You can auto-x it, DD it, it's hugely upgrade-able, and just a simple honest fun car to drive. If i could get one with crank windows and a set of weber side draft carbs I would be in heaven.