Landscaping/gardening 2017

zeitgeist57

With this wacky mild winter we're having, I'm sure we're all noticing sprouts as ground plants/flowers think it's spring.

For the foreseeable short- and medium-term forecast, temps over 40degrees seems to be the norm. Should I go ahead and fertilize my lawn? Is it OK to at least plant some seeds or get seedlings started? Was looking to divide and transplant some Hostas once they grow, and start some cold-hardy yuccas.

I'm less worried about a cold spell and more of a hot/dry summer cutting short the growing season. Thoughts?

Please remember it's February, if you like , you can also put the patio furniture out as well as fill your pool. Fertilize, not yet, pre emergent possibly, grass seed probably won't grow yet, and definately won't grow if pre emergent( weed and feed) is applied. Please don't put your winter coat away and get your thong out yet,it is still February.

What are some low maintenance plants that are cheap?

By low maintenance I pretty much mean carefree... the occasional rain will be enough water for them.

Hosted. Lot so of hostas. And you can split them every year and have more the following year.

Fantastic plants. They even make pretty little flowers.1bdf1a1b0d938381831d5aaf758ebd54.jpg

We seeded the entire lawn two days ago! Prime grass growing weather. Grass seed likes the warm tocool weather mixed with some rain.

I'll go get some comtil next week and spread a fine layer down as well.

One of the problems with that is that most herbicides will kill seedlings and a pre emergent will do that as well

One of the problems with that is that most herbicides will kill seedlings and a pre emergent will do that as well

Who said anything about herbicides?

We don't use herbicides in the back yard; And out front crabgrass prevention is allwe use.

One thing in this house other than Subarus we know is Grass and how to grow it.

Dropping fertilizer in early February wont be much of a help, not too mention most of it will runoff by the ground being too cold to absorb anything when the first rains come. Most plants including weeds sprout based on number of daylight hours, temp is less of a factor. If you have a problem with weeds google what weeds you have and their growing periods and itll tell you when its best to treat them. Im more worried about bug populations this year as the winter wasnt long or cold enough to keep them at bay. Im treating for grubs first before I lay down fertilizer. I got two neighbors on both sides of me that are that "house", their poorly maintained yards cause me issues all season long.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk