Humvees on GovPlanet

zeitgeist57

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips?sm=0&c=3468&md=M1038+Humvee&mode=8

Srsly...I would love to put a pintle-hook hitch on a HMMWV and rock it around town for DGAF errands. I know they are TURRIBLE street/highway cruisers, but the prospect of a $4-5k Hummer still entices me...

I remember reading somewhere that GovPlanet can help navigate the End-Use Certificate process, which is needed to title and tag one of these for street use?

Regardless, it's not lost on me that a 6.5L diesel 4WD offroader with a 24V charging system and a winch is not a "must-have" for my hauling needs. :)

No, no...I'm just playing with a fantasy here. I've heard enough horror stories. :lol:

I remember a few years back when a couple of guys (was one of them truckin here on the board?) drove "deuce-and-a-halfs" to CC&C. IIRC it was $40 in fuel and top speed of 55mph to cover a 40-mile roundtrip.

No, no...I'm just playing with a fantasy here. I've heard enough horror stories. :lol:

I remember a few years back when a couple of guys (was one of them truckin here on the board?) drove "deuce-and-a-halfs" to CC&C. IIRC it was $40 in fuel and top speed of 55mph to cover a 40-mile roundtrip.

It was "tractor" and he made the treck I think once, maybe to quaker steak too :lol:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/IMG_16611_zpsc62401aa.jpg

This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.

I saw an episode of "Dirt Everyday" where the host purchased one of those huge trucks and they claimed you could drive them on the road. I am sure someone insurance company would insure the car for road use.

After a massive headache of rebuilding one of these things for a customer I had the "pleasure" of driving it in late July early August to mile it for break in and trouble shooting.. on paved civilian roads.. at "normal" cruising speeds...UGH yea thanks I'll pass on doing THAT ever again.

Even if you go into it planning on swapping out to a more GM setup.. the time money and anger is... UGH

was in NY this past weekend and talking with a buddy of mine. Apparently the hot shit setup these days is "bobbed" deuce and a halfs. cuts the mechanical issues down by 1/3, makes them easier to drive on the highway, and more useful:

http://www.boyceequipment.com/m35a2-bobbed-deuce

sure you lose the 6x6 but still...not the worst idea until you realize it's $20K.