WTB Machinist tools

rb26deet32

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my engine building tools. I'm looking for the following.

-Digital 3/8 techangle or mac 5-100 ftlbs

-Dial bore gauge 0.0001

-1-4" micrometer 0.0001"

-Dial indicator (0.0001-0.0005)

Everything I have been using is working but I hate only being accurate to the 1,000th of an inch. On some builds lately it's been stressing me out with the amount of money that has been going into them.

If you have all or anything listed and are looking to sell just hit me up. (614) 625-7296.

Thanks,

Brent

I would also add a good set of ID mics in there too if you're getting really serious about it. Snap gauges and micrometers are only so accurate. Also remember that your measurement tools are only as good as the calibrations done on them.

I will ask my dad, he's a tool and die maker, but doesnt need a lot ofh is tools anymore due to the work he's doing at his new plant.

Great, thanks!

I would also add a good set of ID mics in there too if you're getting really serious about it. Snap gauges and micrometers are only so accurate. Also remember that your measurement tools are only as good as the calibrations done on them.

I couldn't agree more about the calibration but what would be the purpose of the ID mics? I'm only doing engine building. I wouldn't be doing the actual machining. I just want to be able to more accurately blue print and build blocks. Lmk what you mean though, I'm always up to learn new things!

Thanks,

Brent

Great, thanks!

I couldn't agree more about the calibration but what would be the purpose of the ID mics? I'm only doing engine building. I wouldn't be doing the actual machining. I just want to be able to more accurately blue print and build blocks. Lmk what you mean though, I'm always up to learn new things!

Thanks,

Brent

Journal Bearing Clearances, Con Rod ID/Out of round, Piston to wall clearance, cylinder out of round/concentricity, wrist pin clearances etc. Snap gauges can have some repeatability and accuracy issues based on technique, your micrometers you're measuring with, etc. Even then they're still slightly less accurate than your micrometers that you're using to measure the gauge with. Typically the best practice is to measure the actual part with the actual tool. I'm not sure what level of accuracy/precision you're trying to obtain, but my experience at work is all down to the 0.001mm. FWIW, if you can pick up a nice set of ID mics, they are much easier to use and produce a more repeatable measurement.

Edited by DavidBaustert

Journal Bearing Clearances, Con Rod ID/Out of round, Piston to wall clearance, cylinder out of round/concentricity, wrist pin clearances etc. Snap gauges can have some repeatability and accuracy issues based on technique, your micrometers you're measuring with, etc. Even then they're still slightly less accurate than your micrometers that you're using to measure the gauge with. Typically the best practice is to measure the actual part with the actual tool. I'm not sure what level of accuracy/precision you're trying to obtain, but my experience at work is all down to the 0.001mm/0.0254in. FWIW, if you can pick up a nice set of ID mics, they are much easier to use and produce a more repeatable measurement.

Oh I see what you mean. I wasn't sure if you were meaning ID for actual machining or not. I've been using my current mic setup to zero out my dial bore gauge. It's not the most accurate way to do it but it's been working so far. I guess the next logical step would be to get an ID mic. My only question is how much of a difference would you say there is? I've never used one so I honestly don't know.

The way I do it I'm down to the 0.0005-0.001" but it does depend on tool calibration and is also figured out by measuring with a couple different tools and doing some basic math versus doing what you say and measuring with one tool that is actually designed to measure a certain component.

The other issue would be measuring journal diameter on certain blocks with everything torque down. I don't see how an ID mic would fit. I'll have to look into it for sure because I'm trying to go to the next level with my engine building and not have any doubts about anything.

Thanks for the feedback!

Read through this. This is Mitutoyo's info and brands like Starrett etc might vary, but this will give you a good idea of the capabilities of various tools.

I just did a quick search for inside mics and found tons of them. I'm wondering if we are talking about the same thing or not. I use this right now for inside diameter

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-Warranty-52-646-400-Measuring-Graduation/dp/B000XQ2T1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488847213&sr=8-1&keywords=fowler+dial+bore+gauge

when I searched for ID Mics I found dial bore gauges and actual ID Mics like this

https://www.zoro.com/starrett-inside-groove-micrometer-05-to-15-in-701a/i/G4780413/?gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0J1ucI1gceanR5mDBaUXMhXTLQE_bb1IbtEkhi-Fi5xoCcujw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just want to make sure we are on the same page because I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that might be considered inaccurate even if it's worked so far.

Thanks!

I just did a quick search for inside mics and found tons of them. I'm wondering if we are talking about the same thing or not. I use this right now for inside diameter

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-Warranty-52-646-400-Measuring-Graduation/dp/B000XQ2T1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488847213&sr=8-1&keywords=fowler+dial+bore+gauge

when I searched for ID Mics I found dial bore gauges and actual ID Mics like this

https://www.zoro.com/starrett-inside-groove-micrometer-05-to-15-in-701a/i/G4780413/?gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0J1ucI1gceanR5mDBaUXMhXTLQE_bb1IbtEkhi-Fi5xoCcujw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just want to make sure we are on the same page because I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that might be considered inaccurate even if it's worked so far.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing. What you have is probably fine for what you're doing. If we don't CMM, we use these at work for all ID measurements. Again, we're dealing with the 0.001mm and you're probably only concerned with .010mm at most I would guess.

Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing. What you have is probably fine for what you're doing. If we don't CMM, we use these at work for all ID measurements. Again, we're dealing with the 0.001mm and you're probably only concerned with .010mm at most I would guess.

I'm not too sure. As of what I've been doing I can accurately say to the 0.001" what my oil clearances are. But I'm trying to get to the 0.0001-0.0005". In reality it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I just hate not having the ten thousandths lines on my mic.

Side note, I just picked up a 3/8 techangle. So I can finally get rid of my click style torque wrench and angle adapter.