September road trip out west, unmarked police car states, help needed

Aaron

My wife and I are doing a 3 week road trip out west in September and as part of our prep want to know what States we could encounter unmarked police cars. It's harder than expected to find this online actually so was hoping some of you guys could help out.

Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma.

Thanks!

I would be willing to bet it is possible to come across them in every single state

Pretty much this. I consider every bridge a hideout for motorcycle officers (particularly I-77 @150 in Cleveland... Broadview has been posting a guy there almost any time it's respectably warm and not raining since limits came up from 55), and anything that's not a snow plow and in the center median is a threat ;)

All states have unmarked cars in some form, it's just the restrictions on use of the unmarked car that vary. Keep in mind the general standard for a "marked" car is visible lights and sirens as well as graphics. Some of the slick roof cars I see where the emergency lights are inside the cabin may qualify as "unmarked" despite having graphics.

If you are concerned about a cop car not being a cop, you can always call 911 and verify that the unit is in fact a police unit prior to pulling over.

I think your odds of encountering a fake cop are low, it does happen. If that's what you are concerned about, there isn't a lot you can do to prevent it other than calling the police and verifying at the time it is happening.

Talk about unmarked cars, Georgia has blacked out Tahoe they use. Nothing visible on the outside. Watched a guy go around me in and out of traffic at 85-90, few seconds later he was pulled over by the Tahoe. I bet he received one hell of a ticket/fine. Virginia is one of the worst they work the roads hard.

Illinois and Missouri for sure. Last time I went out that way we encountered several in both states. Mostly chargers but that was also about 7 years ago

^^^ 100%

Colorado does not have un-marked but the marked cars are all low profile equip.

If you are going to MI ...

02-33.jpg.4ad82a01d1739d9e8d5202c021983c08.jpg

I have been pulled over and my car searched (ransacked actually) in Texas for no reason. Just had out of state plates.

That was a while ago but I bet they still used unmarked cars.

It wasn't no reason, it's that "out of state plates driving carefully" counts as PC for drug trafficking in border states. or so they claim.

A buddy of mine is in a band that got held for hours roadside in New Mexico because they didn't believe that a van full of 20somethings and a trailer full of guitars, amps, drums, and sound equipment was just a traveling band and not a group of cartel mules.

I can only imagine how many actual cartel mules passed that clusterfuck on the highway while it was happening.

Vacation = No rush with no worries

We did something like this trip 1.5 years ago. Planned was something like 5kmi and by google maps just now ~80 hours of driving. We took our flex day and a half at the end and went out to Sandiego for one night/day. Ended up I think closer to 6kmi. Less time spent driving is more time in the parks. You're talking about a week of the three week trip plus or minus, just driving.

Sorry Aaron, no specifics about cops out there. I just set my cruise to +9mph and never have issues, but understand if you wan to go faster. At any rate, have fun out there, it's a really fun trip!

I have been pulled over and my car searched (ransacked actually) in Texas for no reason. Just had out of state plates.

Should have refused the search and made them bring out the poochie.

That's happened to a friend of mine in several states. He drives his cars with MI plates, but works all over the US. Got so bad that he added several cameras to his car along with police style radar system. He took Indiana to court over illegal search/s and won.

Drove to Phoenix and Back in 2011, no radar detector, no waze app, no CB, no tickets or any issues. I went through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. Drove a car with a giant wing and tinted windows as a cop magnet. You are white, you will be fine.

I would be willing to bet it is possible to come across them in every single state

QFT

It's not much specific help, but perhaps you'll find this interesting:

http://jalopnik.com/5977634/the-stealthiest-cop-cars-on-the-road-today

Also, fwiw, this summer on the rally I did 5600+ miles through the West and hardly saw any enforcement. Of course, you increase your chances of a roadside chat if you stick to interstates and blow the doors off everything you pass. It seems as though a number of fellow motorists are happy to phone in reports of "race cars driving recklessly." :rolleyes:

I would also think that on interstates your chances of being caught from air surveillance would be greater than being caught by an unmarked police car.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're taking the Mustang on the roughly 6k mile trip. I wasn't looking for insight based on trying to do top speed runs, just figured this was a "known" fact.

We plan to drive straight through to Rocky Mountain National Park, and on the way back from the Grand Canyon we'll be doing it in 3 days, 1 driving, 1 in the town "The Pioneer Woman" has her store and restaurant for the wife, and 1 driving.

Originally we were going to do the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, but decided to remove those and spend more time in the Utah parks.