fish tank people

xlr8tn

Picked up a 55 gallon tank and stand for free from a buddy over the weekend. It came with some other stuff but I'm pitching it all and starting with new because it's old and been in storage forever. Just going to save myself some possible headaches. Going to do a fresh water tank mainly for the kids because as a kid I really enjoyed my tanks and I'm sure they will too. I'll let them do all the set up and things like that as that's where most of the fun is.

20+ years ago I was into fish tanks but it's been about that long since I've had a tank. I'm sure things have changed. Any things I should be aware of? Under gravel filter still the way to go or should I use something like a cannister filter or hang on power filter? I want to keep it budget friendly because frankly I don't need the latest and greatest but if something is definitely worth the extra money I'm not opposed to that either. I'm assuming heaters have pretty much stayed the same. Air pumps probably are quieter and better I would think. I do know I want an LED light for it. All tips and suggestions are welcomed.

Never really done fresh water but i had a couple salt water reef tanks on and off since 2007. I probably will not do a tank again unless i do a controller and have a plan to deal with a potential power loss (generator.) https://www.neptunesystems.com/ adds a ton of fail safes and could be cheaper in the long run than not having it. Lighting has come a long way since even 2007. Most are dim-able, color changing and programmable. Filters are about the same. Always had luck with aquaclear HOB(Hang on back) filters. I would recommend having the tank drilled and running a sump in the stand. You can hind the heater, all the filters in it giving the tank a much much cleaner look.

For local fish stores Rivers to reefs in gahanna is far and away the best IMO.

What kind of fish are you planning? Plants too?

Good luck jumping back in. I was really into them back in the day from high school through college. Shut down all my tanks in 1994 when I moved in with the wife. Yeah....it's been that long. I had a 65g long, 75g and a 100g. The 65 was my African Tank, the 75 was fresh and the 100g was my salt. Tons of work maintaining them is the main reason sold off.

I really miss Byerlys Aquarium. Back when they were in the old-store it was a kick ass place.

I second drilling the tank and putting a reef system below it. Cleaner, better and lower maintenance.

going fake plants for now....just want something easy right now to start the kids out on. In the past I had both live and fake plants. As far as fish I'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I have some favorites from back in the day. I got into african cichlids with the last tank I had 20 years ago and those were probably some of the prettiest I had. Before that I had tanks with just about any kind of fish you could imagine. Was a fan of oscars and firemouths at one time too. Had a tank with piranha at one time too.....wasn't a fan of the mess they made. Like I say.....I've had a bunch of different tanks. I'll probably let the kids pick the fish out but will steer them towards certain species so they don't mix them.

So much info depending on which way you go with the tank, so I'm going to wait and see which direction you start in.

My general suggestions would be:

Yes on the canister filter, it doesn't have to be expensive, there are some good cheap ones on Amazon. Definitely the style to go with.

LED light, yes, get one with the ability to grow plants(just in case, and the girls will love the blue "moon light" function that most have.

I'd rethink the stance on plants, some simple low maintenance plants can cut way down on algae and waste. They add a lot to a tank aesthetically.

Africans​ are awesome and beautiful, but limited in quantity by aggression in a 55. Choose wisely. I really like a south American tank, so many options there.

Good luck, I can't wait to set up my 125 with my girls when they are older, or go bigger, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Also, take them to Aquarium Adventure. It's not a great (cheap) place to buy, but great for kids to see. I second Rivers to reefs, even though you're in Marysville. Hopefully there's a small business closer.

I'm actually in Lancaster and we have a place out here although I've never been to it. Is there a need for an under gravel filter with the cannister style? My last tank I ran an under gravel filter and a power filter hanging off the back. That set up seemed to work just fine but like I say....that's been 20 years ago. I do like the idea of having a cleaner looking tank but not completely necessary.

Trying to find a balance between function and price because I pulled the executive order on this one so the less bitching I can get out of my wife the better. She said "no...we don't have room for it" and I said " I'm loading it in the truck when she goes back inside" plus I got the votes by getting the kids on board. :D That being said I don't want to cheap out on everything.....I just want something that works and can teach the kids about fish tanks. Example.....I'd rather spend $60 on an under gravel plus power filter versus $150-$200 on a canister unless the canister is really that much better because I know from experience the other set up works. Just not sure what I'd be missing in a canister style.

Overall I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. Been a long time. I spent my early teen years up through my 20's living in the fish store for the most part. I have some good memories of messing with my tanks.

If you want real plants, I can split off some of my Amazon sword plants for you and give them to you. They are overgrown in my 75g and I will split them off and just toss them. Live plants at fish stores are really expensive for what they are. I know you are pretty far but they are free.

I have an Ehiem Canister filter, totally worth it if it goes in your bedroom, completely silent. Virtually no maintenance for years once the tank is cycled. Also for about $15 fish places sell the refrigerated bacteria to get your tank cycled faster. Remember you only want to have a couple of fish in the tank for the first month or two. I usually do bottom feeders like catfish.

Oh Lancaster, I confused you with someone else. You talking about sea tide? The owner used to be Wayne Peye, not sure if he still owns it, but decent little shop.

Under gravel filters aren't used much anymore, as they aren't real conducive to good bacteria growth in the gravel, and are a pain to clean out when due. Just get a canister filter that is sized appropriately for your 55 and forget about it for a few months.

Take Benjamin up on the Amazon sword, good tough plant that won't cause you any problems.