WTB: Wagner or Griswold cast iron

Radio Flyer1647545514

I guess my question is, does Wagner/Griswold cook better?

Tom

I have one of my Great Grand Mother's 10" Skillets. From what I was told, it was used daily, for many of the meals. It DOES sear better than any of the Lodge I have. I am not sure if it is because of how it is made, but the damn thing looks like a sheet of glass inside. The constant greasing, heating and cooling have made one of the best non-stick cooking surfaces I own. Eggs come out PERFECT!

I am sure you could get a new Lodge up to the same level, but that will take years.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I've had my best luck with vintage cast iron at yard sales. Most who "know" what they have, want $$$.

Good Luck!!!

KillJoy

My girlfriend almost pitched a 1950's Griswold 12" when they were cleaning out her great aunts...couldn't even see the markings but I knew how to get it cleaned up. Cooking surface is like glass. Best pan I own. New shit doesn't get polished (well, a new brand called Stargazer is doing it)...lodge and shit just sucks.

I have one of my Great Grand Mother's 10" Skillets. From what I was told, it was used daily, for many of the meals. It DOES sear better than any of the Lodge I have. I am not sure if it is because of how it is made, but the damn thing looks like a sheet of glass inside. The constant greasing, heating and cooling have made one of the best non-stick cooking surfaces I own. Eggs come out PERFECT!

I am sure you could get a new Lodge up to the same level, but that will take years.

KillJoy

Nah...sometime recently, last couple decades, they stopped the polishing step on the cooking surface. That's why older ones are so smooth and lodge still has that "rough" surface.