Want to BUY: Guitar for my daughter

TTQ B4U

Have an 11yr old that is very into music and plays both violin and piano but now wants to learn to play the guitar.

Anyone have a good one that is appropriate in size for an 11yr old girl?

Please reply or text with details and pics.

Thanks!

Tim

614-795-4907 cell

What kind of guitar Tim? Acoustic? Electric?

I have a black and white Korean Squire Stratocaster I could be talked out of. They are inexpensive but excellent quality.

If you want I could go with you on a weekend to music go round and help you look at instruments.

What kind of guitar Tim? Acoustic? Electric?

I have a black and white Korean Squire Stratocaster I could be talked out of. They are inexpensive but excellent quality.

If you want I could go with you on a weekend to music go round and help you look at instruments.

Acoustic. I'll shoot you a text tonight. Thanks Man!

Acoustic. I'll shoot you a text tonight. Thanks Man!

A couple recommendations I can make are:

Martin Backpacker. Good size for kids plus it travels easy (it's a travel guitar)

Fender Malibu. Electric style neck and fretboard with a small body acoustic body.

New both are around $200, used you'll spend about $100 for a quality instrument.

I know music go round has some 3/4 instruments too but quality can be hit or miss.

Edited by Geeto67

A couple recommendations I can make are:

Martin Backpacker. Good size for kids plus it travels easy (it's a travel guitar)

Fender Malibu. Electric style neck and fretboard with a small body acoustic body.

New both are around $200, used you'll spend about $100 for a quality instrument.

I know music go round has some 3/4 instruments too but quality can be hit or miss.

:thumbup: Thank you sir! I can live with $100-$200 on this as it's always hit or miss with kids.

I did a quick search though music-go-round, guitar center, and Sam-Ash's online inventory and didn't see any martin backpackers used. That doesn't mean they aren't there as the online inventory tends to update slow.

I have one if she wants to try it out and see if it is the right size, then if she likes it you can go rifling through Craigslist for one.

I'm trying to steer you to quality instruments that will make a nice tone, be easy to play, that she won't outgrow, and will retain some resale. CL is littered with $10 and $15 First Act "kids guitars" with hello kitty screen prints and whatnot because they don't make a great sound, are hard to keep in tune, are not setup properly and cannot be setup, and generally hurt the kid's fingers. When I was learning someone gave my parents good advice by saying - get a guitar the kid likes. They didn't listen and signed me up for flamenco guitar lessons and bought me a classical guitar, and while I look back on that fondly now - I don't think I really started playing on my own until I got the lake placid blue yamaha pacifica electric with humbuckers and a Floyd Rose because I was going to be Yngwie Malmsteen god damn it!

Do you know what type of music she wants to play? There are steel string and nylon string guitars. If she wants to learn basic chords and rock and roll a steel string guitar is fine, if she wants to learn classical guitar you'll need a nylon string guitar. The skills development is slightly different - nylon instruction typically deals with picking and fretting individual notes, where as steel string instruction would generally focus on chords and strumming. I learned nylon as a kid and then later went back to steel strings because all I wanted to play were 3 chord rock songs.

Assume any guitar you buy of CL will need a setup. This is new strings, setting the action (depth of sting from the fretboard) if possible, setting the intonation (if possible), and cleaning. Most stores, like music go round will do this to the instrument as part of the deal of you buying it (most of their guitars get new strings when they buy them).

Other things you will need:

- Guitar tuner. Get a snark. they are $10 and clip on the headstock of the guitar.

- strap. have to get comfortable with the instrument standing or sitting.

- case or gig bag. most will come with, but if not get one. instruments are fragile, protect it.

- song cheat book. I'm all for learning to read music and music theory education, but playing a song makes people feel like they are accomplishing something. Tablature is very intuitive and can get you up and running to playing an actual tune really quickly, plus it backs you into reading music when you have the same song and the tab side by side. You can get tabs for free on the net but they are not "official" and are sometimes wrong.

- lessons. structure and practice sow success. but it must also be fun. If she doesn't like one teacher keep trying till you find one she does.

here is a used alkaline trio edition fender malibu for the top of your price range. It's a great looking guitar but also great sounding and really approachable:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Alkaline-Trio-Malibu-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar-112987066.gc

I bought my daughter the Yamaha that guitar center had. Paid a little more but it's the same as this one. Actually sounds pretty good and has held up well the last few years of use.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-JR1-Acoustic-Guitar-Accessory/dp/B004TXS7Z4/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1490276930&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+acoustic+guitar+3%2F4

In gahanna:

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/680166/used-fender-concord-ii-acoustic-guitar-natural

or Toledo if you wanna drive:

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/679399/used-martin-backpacker-acoustic-guitar-wood

Go to MGR. They deal with these types of situations all day every day, they can probably get her set up with something proper.