Manufactured homes

Johny Utah

I like Schumacher a lot...if you want do your own...there are amazing pole barn style house kits for 90k or so. Big open floor plan. You will find the cost of a home built on your land is not too much less than buying a home on a lot. Wayne does work as well.

When you say "manufactured homes" are you talking about home builders, or pre-fab'd homes that are trucked out and assembled on site?

Agreed that Schumacher is one of the best, on-your-site builders. I've worked with the company (Paul Schumacher started the company in Canton, OH) and know contractors that have done jobs for them - they are a really good company to work with.

I like Schumacher a lot...if you want do your own...there are amazing pole barn style house kits for 90k or so. Big open floor plan. You will find the cost of a home built on your land is not too much less than buying a home on a lot. Wayne does work as well.

Schumacher is a custom home builder not a manufactured home... manufactured homes are trailers or doublewides....

FYI, FUCK Schumacher homes... that's what we have and seriously in 5 years, I've dumped so much money into fixing their poor craftsmanship and them not upholding their basement warranties.... stay away from them as a builder, they are the worst!

Agreed that Schumacher is one of the best, on-your-site builders. I've worked with the company (Paul Schumacher started the company in Canton, OH) and know contractors that have done jobs for them - they are a really good company to work with.

no they aren't...

I looked into it when I lived near Columbus. Had a very hard time finding land near enough to commute and that still allowed manufactured homes. Lots of property, county, and city restrictions on what can be placed on land these days. That was 2007-2008

Now in 2017 I'm moving to the North Myrtle Beach area and finding the same problem with the added problem of getting financing on manufactured homes. Many banks won't do them so you end up with a much higher rate through a mortgage company.

I'm going totally native and getting a doublewide mobile home putting it on some property I bought there.

If you do get a modular or mobile go with the smaller mom/pop companies, I talked with Clayton and then went to one and will get the same deal for a huge reduction in total out the door price, like 30%. we are totally changing how we live and are done with the big house, big mortgage trap and are gonna enjoy other things and still have a reasonable place to live. Of course thats a little easier down here in the south where the weather isn't so cold.

Personally I would not get a modular unless you just want to spend money. Nothing on them is any different than a mobile and you can actually order any mobile home plan as a modular if you simply want to add $50K to the price tag for them to remove the wheels and increase the roof pitch. Also the modular has an increased setup cost due to renting the huge crane to unload it from the trailer.

If you do get a modular or mobile go with the smaller mom/pop companies, I talked with Clayton and then went to one and will get the same deal for a huge reduction in total out the door price, like 30%. we are totally changing how we live and are done with the big house, big mortgage trap and are gonna enjoy other things and still have a reasonable place to live. Of course thats a little easier down here in the south where the weather isn't so cold.

Personally I would not get a modular unless you just want to spend money. Nothing on them is any different than a mobile and you can actually order any mobile home plan as a modular if you simply want to add $50K to the price tag for them to remove the wheels and increase the roof pitch. Also the modular has an increased setup cost due to renting the huge crane to unload it from the trailer.

Not going to get into a spirited discussion with you, but our rental home in Maine is "modular" (we built it through Kent Homes in Canada) and it's been an amazing house. Definitely ran into the mortgage issues as you did, I will admit. This thing was built in 4 sections during the Canadian winter in a warehouse (so nothing was exposed to water/elements during construction)...shipped on site and assembled after spring thaw, connecting HVAC, plumbing, electrical...almost no settling issues, super energy-efficient. That was back in 2005.

Have not found a similar company in the Midwest.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p130208

Not going to get into a spirited discussion with you, but our rental home in Maine is "modular" (we built it through Kent Homes in Canada) and it's been an amazing house. Definitely ran into the mortgage issues as you did, I will admit. This thing was built in 4 sections during the Canadian winter in a warehouse (so nothing was exposed to water/elements during construction)...shipped on site and assembled after spring thaw, connecting HVAC, plumbing, electrical...almost no settling issues, super energy-efficient. That was back in 2005.

Beautiful place you've got there Clay.

I want to rent this house when I vacation in Maine.

Thanks, guys.

First - and last - house I'll ever hope to build. That was an interesting process, building a house in another state with 3 other investors. Friendships still remain to this day so we must've done something right. :) It's an amazing place for sure. That whole bay totally empties out every few hours with the tide...it's an incredible sight.

Financing, Insurance, etc is a pain in the ass. And if you plan to ever sell be prepared to sit on it for a long time.

HUGEE Difference between MODULAR and MANUFACTURED in the financing world. Finding out the home we wanted was NOT modular after being 2000$ into it completely screwed us.

I can finance both. (For me at least) its not difficult, although most lenders wont touch them. I can even close some purchases with $0 down on a Manu.

Lets clear some things up here.

"Manufactured" Typically refers to a "double wide" or similar that is trucked in an set on a **Permanent foundation**- that is the most important part. If its stil on wheels, I cant touch it-you need an RV loan.

Modular refers to a home that is build in pieces-and those pieces are brought in and assembled on a foundation. Thats easy- we look at modular as stick built. Clay-if you had issues with your mortgage- thats sucks! This should have been a walk in the park for your lender. but man great location on that house :)

Rocky-sorry to hear about that-you were simply working with the wrong people. You agent, and lender should quickly be able to understand the differences and educate you.

My take-Manu's have a stigma only because of lender's preferences, and peoples misconceptions. I have financed million dollar mods in Cali and Oregon. In many situations, its not only a great option, bu the BEST option, and common in most areas of rual Ohio.

Guys feel free to PM me for specifics, or if you are looking for a pre approval. I can also refinance them if you currently own one at a high rate.

(We are talking about a 2800 sq ft manufactured home with a 600 sq ft addition on the back, not your typical run of the mill mfd home)

To make a long story short the listing agent gave false information. I went through 10+ lenders, 5-6 different insurance agencies. No one wants to insure a manufactured home. Had it been a modular it would have been cake. No one wants to lend or insure a manufactured home. I went through it on a property for a long time and finally gave up. Every "Modular" inspection proved "Modular" Until the appraiser came out and said no it is a manufactured home. In fact I had a consult with an attorney and he said no need to hire him, go to the manager of the listing agent and show the false info. I got half of my 2k invested back. Dbag seller is still holding my 250$ earnest deposit.

It is no where near easy for a mfd home. Stick with a modular if you can.

I can finance both. (For me at least) its not difficult, although most lenders wont touch them. I can even close some purchases with $0 down on a Manu.

Lets clear some things up here.

"Manufactured" Typically refers to a "double wide" or similar that is trucked in an set on a **Permanent foundation**- that is the most important part. If its stil on wheels, I cant touch it-you need an RV loan.

Modular refers to a home that is build in pieces-and those pieces are brought in and assembled on a foundation. Thats easy- we look at modular as stick built. Clay-if you had issues with your mortgage- thats sucks! This should have been a walk in the park for your lender. but man great location on that house :)

Rocky-sorry to hear about that-you were simply working with the wrong people. You agent, and lender should quickly be able to understand the differences and educate you.

My take-Manu's have a stigma only because of lender's preferences, and peoples misconceptions. I have financed million dollar mods in Cali and Oregon. In many situations, its not only a great option, bu the BEST option, and common in most areas of rual Ohio.

Guys feel free to PM me for specifics, or if you are looking for a pre approval. I can also refinance them if you currently own one at a high rate.