Classic vehicle insurance help

BigOxley

I know a LOT of classic cars insurance don't insure cars used for daily transportation (only for shows, parades, etc.). I'm looking for an insurer that has an agreed upon value and I'm able to drive less than 5000 miles a year.

I'm just concerned if a park it a a restaurant or something and it gets stolen it wouldn't be covered. And if I go with a standard insurer, they give me a scrap vehicle payout.

Anyone have experience with any good insurers out there?

I have haggerty for my firebird. They don't have a restriction on when and where I drive.

Some insurance companies have a "pleasure" vehicle category. Nationwide used to but got rid of it a few years ago. It was about the same price as haggerty.

https://www.hagerty.com/

Another vote for Hagerty. Beginning with my 1996 Bentley Turbo RL, which various companies would insure, Hagerty had the lowest premium compared to a half dozen other companies, and they used agreed-upon value.

When it came time to insure the 2006 Flying Spur, Hagerty was the only company that would insure it. Same happened with the 2014 Speed.

The only thing which might be an issue for some customers is that on all three of those cars the premium had to be paid in one lump sum for one year in advance. I'm not sure if that was a condition just on my policy for some reason (e.g., advanced age of driver, high value car) or if that is true for all such policies at Hagerty.

Another feature I like about Hagerty is that when I call the national office, I quickly get to a friendly rep.

Hope this helps.

I used grange for agreed value insurance on my Supra as the policy is handled much in the same as my other vehicles except the specifics with agreed value portion.

No restrictions for usage generally seen with any classic car insurer. Granted I did have to appraise the car to get it covered.

DP

Grundy for me, haggardy had too many restrictions.

What restrictions did hagerty have that grundy doesn't?

I have been a hagerty customer for 20+ years for the GTO and various classic motorcycles, the only restriction they have had on me was mileage, less than 5k, a year. I told them upfront that I occasionally take my vehicles to work during the summer and various bike nights during the week, and it's never been a problem.

All hagerty policies are one lump sum for the year. I paid $400 for 5 classic motorcycles this year (not 400 each, 400 total for all 5).

I've got a Hagerty policy for my race car and trailer. Agreed value for each. No restrictions - I do have (more than) one vehicle per licensed drive in the household (which I believe was the only prerequisite for the policy).

The biggest restriction Hagerty put on my car was that I couldn't leave it unattended at car shows. There was some other janky crap they specified.

I've never heard of that. I know they don't really want you going to shopping malls and parking garages where the car can be left unattended, but shows don't usually even count toward the 2000 miles a year.

I'm not saying you aren't right, I am going to go back and check my hagerty policy now because I am worried I missed something.

I've never heard of that. I know they don't really want you going to shopping malls and parking garages where the car can be left unattended, but shows don't usually even count toward the 2000 miles a year.

I'm not saying you aren't right, I am going to go back and check my hagerty policy now because I am worried I missed something.

Maybe it was their way of telling me they didn't want my business, no clue, but I did call the phone number and questioned it, who wants to go to a car show and not look at anything. They were also super anal about being anywhere near a race track with your car, it was easier just to say fuck it and move on.

Grundy cost me $580 a year, no deductions and a stated value of $45k. In reality, I hardly ever get the car out, but I don't want a claim denied due to something as silly as you can't leave your car unattended.

Maybe it was their way of telling me they didn't want my business, no clue, but I did call the phone number and questioned it, who wants to go to a car show and not look at anything. They were also super anal about being anywhere near a race track with your car, it was easier just to say fuck it and move on.

Grundy cost me $580 a year, no deductions and a stated value of $45k. In reality, I hardly ever get the car out, but I don't want a claim denied due to something as silly as you can't leave your car unattended.

I pay less than that through Hagerty.

The quote they gave me was less too, but useless if I couldn't go to a car show or cruise in and not leave my car unattended.

I still feel like you must have gotten the worst Hagerty agent in the company. I read my policy and called the help line after you mentioned it and while it is a "tip" they give to people not to leave unlocked vehicles unattended at shows it isn't a requirement of the policy. They are more particular about leaving vehicles unattended at parking lots and garages, esp shopping malls but they are kind of flexible about that if it falls under "pleasure use". Want to take the kids to the candy store in tuttle mall on a saturday, fine - want to take car to work your shift at hot topic on a tuesday, probably not ok. And if you notify them that you are going to do it that day anyway they are usually ok with it as long as it isn't everyday.

I still feel like you must have gotten the worst Hagerty agent in the company. I read my policy and called the help line after you mentioned it and while it is a "tip" they give to people not to leave unlocked vehicles unattended at shows it isn't a requirement of the policy. They are more particular about leaving vehicles unattended at parking lots and garages, esp shopping malls but they are kind of flexible about that if it falls under "pleasure use". Want to take the kids to the candy store in tuttle mall on a saturday, fine - want to take car to work your shift at hot topic on a tuesday, probably not ok. And if you notify them that you are going to do it that day anyway they are usually ok with it as long as it isn't everyday.

While that is what I thought, they straightened me out when I called. I mentioned this to the Hagerty rep that is always at the cruise in's, he looked at me like I had 3 eyes, said they must have made a change. But I know others with Hagerty without that clause, no clue, I have insurance, my goal was achieved.