Wife's Galaxy S7 broke. Options?

Benner

So the wife's S7 had an unfortunate casualty of war between the floor and corner of the recliner. Punctured through screen and digitizer. We don't have insurance on it and don't really have the money to purchase a new phone outright short of a low model/brand.

Anyone had luck rebuilding an S7? Read a few articles and how to's on replacing them and they say the S7 in particular is very difficult to repair. Also any reputable repair places in northern Columbus/Delaware area

Best Buy has a Samsung rep in-store that seems to have the ability to repair their phones.

Yeah i saw the one on Morse road can do repairs. I'm just worried they're going to charge half the price of the phone.

Yeah i saw the one on Morse road can do repairs. I'm just worried they're going to charge half the price of the phone.

Probably will. I looked up the price to replace the screen on my old Note 5 when it broke, it was something like $400 because the screen and digitizer are one piece. At that point you're better off buying a new one. The S7 can be had for around that price nowadays. I got mine for $360 on sale at T-Mobile a few weeks ago. There are also plenty of really good mid-range phones out now too. You no longer have to get the very best Android phones to get a good experience.

Best Buy has a Samsung rep in-store that seems to have the ability to repair their phones.

Unless you are REALLY desperate, DON'T go to BestBuy for repairs. I have seen their incompetence many times to my neighbor who had paid for things he did not even need on his 8+ year old desktop. A desktop is different from a smart phone, but they will eat you alive in repair costs in store. Even if the person you are dealing with Identifies as a "Samsung" employee, Don't use their services IMO because they have a huge contract with Best Buy and could potentially milk you for a little extra.

just throwing it out there... but, I would recommend just getting a new phone and slap the sim card in something different. I know you said that you don't have the money to purchase something new but there are many options out there that don't break the bank. Who is your cell phone provider? AT&T? Verizon? Maybe I can provide some alternatives that don't suck.

Unless you are REALLY desperate, DON'T go to BestBuy for repairs. I have seen their incompetence many times to my neighbor who had paid for things he did not even need on his 8+ year old desktop. A desktop is different from a smart phone, but they will eat you alive in repair costs in store. Even if the person you are dealing with Identifies as a "Samsung" employee, Don't use their services IMO because they have a huge contract with Best Buy and could potentially milk you for a little extra.

just throwing it out there... but, I would recommend just getting a new phone and slap the sim card in something different. I know you said that you don't have the money to purchase something new but there are many options out there that don't break the bank. Who is your cell phone provider? AT&T? Verizon? Maybe I can provide some alternatives that don't suck.

FWIW I'm pretty sure the Samsung people at BB are actually Samsung employees, not BB employees. It's totally separate from Geek Squad and I actually had a solid experience with those Samsung guys when I bought my GS6 there a couple years ago; they basically helped me setup Samsung Switch and carry over my GS4 profile to the GS6. And it was free.

iPhone 8/X/Edition/Pro/whatever they call it looks to be a strong contender. Especially since I'm leaving Samsung b/c I hate the bezels of their curved glass phones. It's gonna be either that or Pixel 2.

LG G6 is :thumbup::thumbup:

iPhone 8/X/Edition/Pro/whatever they call it looks to be a strong contender. Especially since I'm leaving Samsung b/c I hate the bezels of their curved glass phones. It's gonna be either that or Pixel 2.

Might be worth waiting for the next Note phone... I currently rock my Note 5 and love the thing. I installed Google Now Launcher and the phone and its basically stock android. It sucks that Google is getting rid of their launcher because now you have to use the Nova Launcher to get things to look stock. I hate Samsung's overlay with a passion... but DAMN can that company make a phone.

iOS or Android... to each their own... I personally do not like Apple's (current) ecosystem at all. Their products lack direction and functionality imo

Might be worth waiting for the next Note phone... I currently rock my Note 5 and love the thing. I installed Google Now Launcher and the phone and its basically stock android. It sucks that Google is getting rid of their launcher because now you have to use the Nova Launcher to get things to look stock. I hate Samsung's overlay with a passion... but DAMN can that company make a phone.

iOS or Android... to each their own... I personally do not like Apple's (current) ecosystem at all. Their products lack direction and functionality imo

I agree, Samsung is fantastic when it comes to building devices. However I have never liked the Notes, for me the 5" screen or thereabouts is the sweet spot.

I've been looking forward to the convergence of tech and design in phones to be able to compare things more objectively. It seems like this 10yr phone design for Apple is looked at internally as a "do or die" design, because they've stagnated big time, and they've repeatedly failed to innovate. I don't need them to be far beyond everyone else in terms of tech, I, like all other phone users "just want it to work." For the longest time that's why I liked Samsung; I had awful experiences with LG and Motorola, and Samsung just offered what I liked more than HTC. I've always tried to keep an open mind and be objective; I don't like Apple's lack of a file system, but I don't like the fact that my fucking Samsung phones always get Android updates months after everyone else does. I get that QA is a thing, but it's ridiculous.

I agree, Samsung is fantastic when it comes to building devices. However I have never liked the Notes, for me the 5" screen or thereabouts is the sweet spot.

I've been looking forward to the convergence of tech and design in phones to be able to compare things more objectively. It seems like this 10yr phone design for Apple is looked at internally as a "do or die" design, because they've stagnated big time, and they've repeatedly failed to innovate. I don't need them to be far beyond everyone else in terms of tech, I, like all other phone users "just want it to work." For the longest time that's why I liked Samsung; I had awful experiences with LG and Motorola, and Samsung just offered what I liked more than HTC. I've always tried to keep an open mind and be objective; I don't like Apple's lack of a file system, but I don't like the fact that my fucking Samsung phones always get Android updates months after everyone else does. I get that QA is a thing, but it's ridiculous.

3124af76d6a00a2434b8e191443a0222_agreement-meme-google-search-i-agree-memes_678-751.jpeg

Is it raw Android or does it have some shitty UI overlay? I'm very much looking forward to not having TouchWiz anymore, and the main reason I like the Pixel is for raw Android.

It isn't "pure" Android, but the skin is very light. Almost all of the apps are stock Google, the only things I can think of that aren't are the Contacts and Dialer apps. I'm sure you can side-load the Google versions though. It's also theme-able so you can make it pretty close to stock in that regard as well. The dual camera is very cool (wide-angle FTW). If you've ever held a Nexus 5X, it feels like a very premium version of that (obviously with a MUCH bigger screen) with wireless charging and water resistance. I don't know what carrier you have, but the T-Mobile version has an unlockable bootloader, so I'm sure stock ROMs will be coming.

Also, have either of you tried Good Lock on your Samsungs? It really puts it a lot closer to stock, it's pretty neat. Check it out in the Galaxy Apps store. I've tried quite a few different phones over the past year thanks to T-Mobile's Jump on Demand program. LG G4, Galaxy S6, Note 5, Galaxy S7, Note 7, HTC 10, iPhone 7, (I bought ANOTHER Galaxy S7 cause it was on sale, but then I decided to try the G6 so I'm trying to sell it to a friend) and finally the G6. I also bought a Nexus 5X outright just to have to mess around with stock Android.

Well pretty much came to the conclusion that it's going to cost minimum $250 to repair. Not ready to drop that kind of cash especially since we're saving for vacation. Luckily one of the guys I work with had a spare galaxy s5 laying around so I'm using it till I buy something else. Ended up giving the wife my S7 because I'm a pansy and felt bad for her.