Good luck to anyone in the polaris area once Ikea opens

justinwebb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MDF furniture sucks, fact! That place is will be filled with cheap ass hipsters, with full beards, flat bills, and vape pen in pocket, ordering furniture that will be broken by next year. I bet Trish and Nathan hold a Subaru meet there late summer early fall. :nod:

My thoughts exactly. People lining up to buy cardboard furniture. See you at Costco.

MDF furniture sucks, fact! That place is will be filled with cheap ass hipsters, with full beards, flat bills, and vape pen in pocket, ordering furniture that will be broken by next year. I bet Trish and Nathan hold a Subaru meet there late summer early fall. :nod:

Drive to Polaris and wait in traffic for 2 hours to buy a flimsy POS you need to assemble and won't survive a dog farting on it, OR drive an hour north of Polaris and buy whatever you need from the Amish, already assembled, for a fraction of the price and it'll survive small nuclear blasts.

Why the fuck would you camp out for 2 days infront of IKEA starting June 5th so you can be one of the first few in the store, when you can drive to Cincinnati June 5th and buy what you need? I don't get it... I swear in my mind a 4 hr drive is easier than camping for 2 days on concrete....

Why the fuck would you camp out for 2 days infront of IKEA starting June 5th so you can be one of the first few in the store, when you can drive to Cincinnati June 5th and buy what you need? I don't get it... I swear in my mind a 4 hr drive is easier than camping for 2 days on concrete....

http://cdn.modernfarmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/sheeple-hero.jpg

The meatballs must be THAT good... I've heard stories, but I want to experience them myself. I had no idea they sold furniture... Crazy!

http://foodnetwork.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2016/2/10/0/fnd_swedish-meatballs-istock.jpg.rend.snigalleryslide.jpeg

supposedly they are giving away couches, tvs, etc.

Drive to Polaris and wait in traffic for 2 hours to buy a flimsy POS you need to assemble and won't survive a dog farting on it, OR drive an hour north of Polaris and buy whatever you need from the Amish, already assembled, for a fraction of the price and it'll survive small nuclear blasts.

Can you recommend some Amish places? because all the ones I have been at so far cost like 5 times what ikea furniture costs. I would love to buy inexpensive hardwood furniture but even the unfinished stuff I am seeing is still significantly more expensive than Ikea stuff.

Wife and I have a lot of Ikea furniture. When we lived in Brooklyn, Ikea was 5 minutes away and it was an easy way to furnish an apartment for cheap without looking like you picked it out of the garbage. It is more durable than anything from walmart/target/etc...for almost the same money, and the more important thing is that it moves way easier than real wood furniture. We have book cases and an entertainment center that are going on 11 years now and two of those book cases my daughter has been climbing on for the last 2 years (I screw them into the wall with metal L brackets - I am not that irresponsible).

Of course you should aspire to better than ikea furniture, but honestly if you live like us where we have lived in 6 different apartments in 3 different cities for the last 10-12 years, it's grown up stuff that makes moving easier.

75962881.jpg

Can you recommend some Amish places? because all the ones I have been at so far cost like 5 times what ikea furniture costs. I would love to buy inexpensive hardwood furniture but even the unfinished stuff I am seeing is still significantly more expensive than Ikea stuff.

Wife and I have a lot of Ikea furniture. When we lived in Brooklyn, Ikea was 5 minutes away and it was an easy way to furnish an apartment for cheap without looking like you picked it out of the garbage. It is more durable than anything from walmart/target/etc...for almost the same money, and the more important thing is that it moves way easier than real wood furniture. We have book cases and an entertainment center that are going on 11 years now and two of those book cases my daughter has been climbing on for the last 2 years (I screw them into the wall with metal L brackets - I am not that irresponsible).

Of course you should aspire to better than ikea furniture, but honestly if you live like us where we have lived in 6 different apartments in 3 different cities for the last 10-12 years, it's grown up stuff that makes moving easier.

I'll see what I can get as far as referrals. I haven't bought any Amish furniture myself, a majority of my furniture is hand-me-down from my folks who live in New England and it's all handmade Vermont hardwood. Typically similar, maybe slightly worse in terms of workmanship than the Amish, but you really can't beat that northeast oak and pine timber for longevity.

My fiancée's family lives in Mansfield and always say they get great deals on Amish furniture, I'll try to find out where when I visit them for Memorial Day.

Can you recommend some Amish places? because all the ones I have been at so far cost like 5 times what ikea furniture costs.

http://www.oakcreationsofmillersport.com/Room-Styles---Designs.html

These guys are West of Buckeye Lake. I have oak bedroom furniture from these folks, very similar to what is in the bottom picture of that link. Bought it spread over a few years, and bought the matching bed when wife and I got married. Stuff is crazy nice but not ridiculous price, generally custom made by a variety of builders they source from. I plan to buy a media cabinet from them this fall, likely in walnut. I love me some walnut.

These guys are out there too, and they have an east side and west side location:

https://www.millersfurniture.com/

They seem a little more "commercialized", for sure, but I understand most of their stuff to be decent also.

http://www.oakcreationsofmillersport.com/Room-Styles---Designs.html

These guys are West of Buckeye Lake. I have oak bedroom furniture from these folks, very similar to what is in the bottom picture of that link. Bought it spread over a few years, and bought the matching bed when wife and I got married. Stuff is crazy nice but not ridiculous price, generally custom made by a variety of builders they source from.

This is one of my really good friend's place. Rosann and Mike are great folks. Their daughter Emily is an interior designer and works there now.

This is one of my really good friend's place. Rosann and Mike are great folks. Their daughter Emily is an interior designer and works there now.

Oh nice. They are good people! I think it was Roseann who helped us most recently. I was really impressed that they have kept furniture plans from "retired" builders, so they can get matching pieces made for stuff that's years old.

driving 45min to get to a store 10 miles away lol city lol smelling bus fumes, sewers, and axe body spray every minute of every day lol not being able to shoot a gun on your own property lol not being able to ride a quad whenever you want lol paying HOA fees so someone can tell you what to do on your land lol Edited by Otis Nice

Actually living in city (not the hood) is very nice. When I think of living in the city, I think more of like Victorian Village, Neil Avenue area. I certainly wouldn't call Polaris the "city." Living in the burbs is the worst of all worlds. Horrible traffic, HOA fees at a lot of sub-divisions and you can't do the cool country stuff like Randy mentioned. Traffic in the actual city, as far as Columbus goes is actually not bad at all.