Cayenne

Lauren

Anybody have any ownership experience with the Porsche cayenne? Thinking about trading in the 535xi wagon and getting a turbo or S. First or second gen is in the budget. I've read the turbos are pretty bullet proof.

Maintence and working on cars isn't an issue for me as I can handle anything it needs.

The only time they look bad, especially in the higher models is when the headlights are aged.

The one I almost bought had the carbon package. I can't justify having a turbo cayenne and an excursion, so I am trying to talk the wife into letting me buy her one.

Plastic coolant pipes is the major concern. It's like 12 hours job to replace them, but otherwise they are very solid.

and if they start to leak they leak directly onto the starter and kill the starter almost immediately.

The turbo's were really built pretty darn well, but assuming you're looking at like '04's you're going to be looking at a 17 year old vehicle that's going to nickle and dime you with parts that aren't exactly a nickle or a dime. If you're cool with all the labor yourself and the parts not being cheap and have the right mindset around this they are still a ton of vehicle for the money.

Anybody have any ownership experience with the Porsche cayenne? Thinking about trading in the 535xi wagon and getting a turbo or S. First or second gen is in the budget. I've read the turbos are pretty bullet proof.

Maintence and working on cars isn't an issue for me as I can handle anything it needs.

Assume you're looking at an older one and plan to drive til the wheels come off? Self maintained Porsches can be hard to resell.

I've looked at 04/05's and 08's for updates styling. I've read several diy on the coolant pipes and frankly it isn't that bad of a job. The turbos just seem like to Mich car for the money and I'm bored with my wagon. I need to invest 5-8k in the wagon to make it fun again or I need to move on.

I found a clean turbo cayenne that I put an offer on yesterday.

I've looked at 04/05's and 08's for updates styling. I've read several diy on the coolant pipes and frankly it isn't that bad of a job. The turbos just seem like to Mich car for the money and I'm bored with my wagon. I need to invest 5-8k in the wagon to make it fun again or I need to move on.

I found a clean turbo cayenne that I put an offer on yesterday.

as I"m sure you know the '08 had updated pipes that don't need fixed. I think the 04-05 cars are soo darn cheap for what they are that you'd be hard pressed to really go wrong.

I don't really put a lot of miles on my cars. Last year I put 2000 miles on the wagon. Also I don't buy into newer car more reliable. Thirdly I don't want a higher car payment buying something newer.

Coolant pipes and all coolant lines / tees that are plastic will fail, starter if the coolant has seeped too long, transmission pump seal if the coolant has been leaking long, driveshaft, because the carrier bearing is crap, and it is very hard to replace just the bearing. Water pump impeller failure.the coil packs and plugs go bad as well Those above are going to happen between 70 to 90 thousand miles, and parts are around $1900 for aftermarket stuff . You will use a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so, and go through tires quickly, as well as brakes. The front differential has been known to fail pretty often as well. All plastic parts close to the engine will be brittle and break when moved.

What's the fun in that?

Amen, brother. Wrench erryday.

Assume you're looking at an older one and plan to drive til the wheels come off? Self maintained Porsches can be hard to resell.

Yeeeeeaaahhhh....I don't think he's going to keep this one long enough. :gabe:

I'm a big fan of g1/g2 Cayennes, as it does seem like you get an over-engineered sporty family-hauler for a good price. Hope you grab a good one. I can't help but question your logic if you're going through a divorce soon...

Amen, brother. Wrench erryday.

I'm a big fan of g1/g2 Cayennes, as it does seem like you get an over-engineered sporty family-hauler for a good price. Hope you grab a good one. I can't help but question your logic if you're going through a divorce soon...

Im no expert, but increase the value of the asset with a debt attached, and the other assets are less at risk?

So 100k in bank, 10k car owned outright- 55k to the wife

100k in the back- 50k car with 60k owed- 40k tot he wife PLUS lower alimony payments since the car payment will be high?

I could be totally wrong here.

On topic- Did you get the one you bid on? I like these cars and like where the market is at on them

• 2 weeks later...