Modifying/Raising Garage Door Track

C-Mart

So my new house has a 13-14 foot garage with 10 foot rafters and a ~8 foot garage door.

How hard is it to raise the current garage door to get closer to the rafters?

Reason being, I am installing a ~12 foot 2 post lift around the 10 foot rafters and would like the extra room to raise the vehicle if the door is open.

Buying a taller track and raising the motor is easy enough, but I don't know enough about the spring.

35911583081_1a906dbd4d_z.jpgIMG_1525

35911584531_4bc26f34b3_z.jpgIMG_0386

You could also do a side mount opener. Would give even more clearance.

The motor unit isn't my problem, the track is. I am mainly unsure about remounting the spring. I've heard horror stories about those.

The motor unit isn't my problem, the track is. I am mainly unsure about remounting the spring. I've heard horror stories about those.

Yea call a garage door company, some will say it's not hard to do yourself but that spring is under a ass load of tension and can easily cause serious issues if not done properly. Garage door spring replacement or in your case relocation is not expensive but your hospital bills could be if something goes wrong

Yea call a garage door company, some will say it's not hard to do yourself but that spring is under a ass load of tension and can easily cause serious issues if not done properly. Garage door spring replacement or in your case relocation is not expensive but your hospital bills could be if something goes wrong

Agreed, those springs are nothing to fuck with. I watched my dad damn nearly lose his left hand trying to fix one when I was a kid.

Spend the cash and have it professionally handled.

You will need different springs cables and the drums the cables wrap around. You can use your vertical tracks but the horizontal tracks need replaced to highlift with an extra piece to extend the vertical pieces up. You would be better off calling a pro. If they know what they're doing they can get it really close to the ceiling. You will need a side mount operator, a Liftmaster 8500 is a residential side mount that works perfectly in your situation.