Bright

HotCarl

Production looks good, but can already see the anti-police Hollywood slant.

WTF?!?, seriously?!? the movie has fairies and orcs and shit in it and you are bitching because of some made up nonsense about an anti police Hollywood slant?

Also aren't the two good guy protagonists LEO's?

Go home, you're drunk.

That movie looks awesome. Netflix has been churning good stuff lately and it's getting better. I'm kinda excited to see Ozark with Jason Bateman too.

WTF?!?, seriously?!? the movie has fairies and orcs and shit in it and you are bitching because of some made up nonsense about an anti police Hollywood slant?

Also aren't the two good guy protagonists LEO's?

Go home, you're drunk.

That movie looks awesome. Netflix has been churning good stuff lately and it's getting better. I'm kinda excited to see Ozark with Jason Bateman too.

Oh, I forgot your opinion is the only one that counts.

1. Smith's character says he "fine" with partnering with the orc. Insinuating that other racist (orcist) officers won't or refuse to. Organizational racism is bad mkay

2. Officers standing around the wand debating on whether or not to steal it. Smith, the good guy, is the only one that says no. One officer out of a room of officers is the only one who shows integrity.

Most every movie has a message, even ones with orcs, fairies and shit.

Oh, I forgot your opinion is the only one that counts.

My opinion that your opinion is shitty carries no more or less merit than your shitty opinion.

1. Smith's character says he "fine" with partnering with the orc. Insinuating that other racist (orcist) officers won't or refuse to. Organizational racism is bad mkay

2. Officers standing around the wand debating on whether or not to steal it. Smith, the good guy, is the only one that says no. One officer out of a room of officers is the only one who shows integrity.

Way to jump to a conclusion from a 30 second clip that takes things out of context. Yo know what else is bad? condemning an entire entertainment industry on the basis of a heavily edited clip of a movie you haven't seen. Maybe the movie covers it, maybe it doesn't, maybe this movie is portraying police in a bad light, maybe it doesn't....that's not the entirety of the entertainment industry. Way to say a big fuck you to all the TV shows and movies that don't portray police in that way. According to your flawed thinking the whole of the world's movie industry is pro Nazi because Bruno Ganz played a sympathetic Hitler in "Downfall". Be serious.

Most every movie has a message, even ones with orcs, fairies and shit.

Again, still not representative of the industry.

Every movie may have a message, but again whatever the message is doesn't stand as singularly representative of an entire industry.

You want to say all of "hollywood" is anti-law enforcement then prove it. Go ahead. I will wait while you prove an entire industry, that also suffered under censorship under the hays production code that prevented negative portrayal of police for 30+ years, is somehow completely biased against law enforcement. I'll wait.

My opinion that your opinion is shitty carries no more or less merit than your shitty opinion.

Way to jump to a conclusion from a 30 second clip that takes things out of context. Yo know what else is bad? condemning an entire entertainment industry on the basis of a heavily edited clip of a movie you haven't seen. Maybe the movie covers it, maybe it doesn't, maybe this movie is portraying police in a bad light, maybe it doesn't....that's not the entirety of the entertainment industry. Way to say a big fuck you to all the TV shows and movies that don't portray police in that way. According to your flawed thinking the whole of the world's movie industry is pro Nazi because Bruno Ganz played a sympathetic Hitler in "Downfall". Be serious.

Again, still not representative of the industry.

Every movie may have a message, but again whatever the message is doesn't stand as singularly representative of an entire industry.

You want to say all of "hollywood" is anti-law enforcement then prove it. Go ahead. I will wait while you prove an entire industry, that also suffered under censorship under the hays production code that prevented negative portrayal of police for 30+ years, is somehow completely biased against law enforcement. I'll wait.

Nah

Way to jump to a conclusion from a 30 second clip that takes things out of context.

Try not jumping to conclusions...

It's your message, I watched it, I interpreted it, if you think I got it wrong it's on you to explain it.

It's not on the viewer to read into your statements only the way you intended. The world is a diverse place with diverse thinkers, you can't expect them all to think like you.

Wow, this sounds familiar...

BTW, I think it looks awesome. Interpretations aside, I will enjoy it.

Is Netflix the new "straight to DVD"?

I think it is actually becoming the new NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox, but without the inconvenience of appointment programming. A lot of their solid programming is around serial stuff with good talent. OITNB, Narcos, etc....

They are in a great position to take risks in that they have a technological advantage, money, and a captive audience. Their only real competition here is Amazon.

They have been the straight to DVD model for a while now. It's the original programming they have been missing and that's where they are heading: buy less, make more. They can still buy the stuff cheap where the investor is willing to take a hit, but they can reap all the profits by being the generator for the successful stuff - plus original exclusive content attracts subscribers. They almost have to head this way because the third party streaming service industry is heading to homogeneity (everybody has all the same stuff).

Well yeah, stuff like Narcos and House of Cards etc. make sense because they're series, but I meant movies.. which straight-to-home ones typically lack in quality over theater releases. However, I've seen a few Netflix originals that are really good (like War Machine) but I don't think they'd be a big hit at the box office. Bright looks like it would fall under that category.

Well yeah, stuff like Narcos and House of Cards etc. make sense because they're series, but I meant movies.. which straight-to-home ones typically lack in quality over theater releases. However, I've seen a few Netflix originals that are really good (like War Machine) but I don't think they'd be a big hit at the box office. Bright looks like it would fall under that category.

TV has been doing this for decades. That version of Stephen King's IT from 1990? it was a mini-series. there are lots of movies that were "made for" that were popular (Brian's Song, the day after, grey gardens, high school musical, etc...)

The difference is in the business model. Direct to DVD relies on the business model of buying cheap already made content and figuring out distribution based on the perceived audience. Made for "x" (TV, Netflix, etc) means the distributor is the investor, that means they get some control over the content being made and can tailor it to their audience or push in a direction they think will be more popular. The end result is the Made for model tends to have slightly higher quality and is a slightly better value - from this Netflix original becomes it's own sub brand that carries specific audience expectations.

Typically because direct to DVD is so cheap they don't try to limit themselves to one distributor or they go with one distributor it is an independent that can penetrate multiple outlets. In the DVD/VHS days this meant blockbuster, Hollywood video, etc...in more modern times Crackle, Netflix, Amazon.

TL:DR; version: Original or "made for" movies, while often equally as cheap as direct to DVD are often slightly better quality and more target audience focused.

Is Netflix the new "straight to DVD"?

Yes, but with A list actors. Just the fact that Will Smith is in this movie will attract some people who would never watch a movie knowing it was created by Netflix.

I normally don't like movies unless they're released in theaters but some stuff netflix has been releasing lately looks pretty good.