Shooting Clay Sports

HotCarl

Visited family in Florida over the weekend. Sunday we went to some shooting clay sports place. I'm thinking we'll be shooting skeet all day in the sun which doesn't sound like fun but it was way different and a hell of a lot of fun.

Long story short I beat a guy sporting a $2,000 Benelli while i was shooting a $500 mossberg 500 with a crooked front sight. I was pretty damn happy with how I shot.

Anyone ever done this? The best part is the GF had a lot of fun and she's normally not so interested in firearms related activities. We'll be looking for a place in central Ohio soon, any recommendations?

Blackwing in Delaware has sporting clays, trap and skeet. Not central Ohio but it's worth the short drive.

I thought they only had skeet? Not sure of the difference between the three, i'll have to look into it.

I should've been more specific (or broad) anywhere somewhat close to central Ohio. Delaware isn't all that far from us since we're on the north side anyway.

I've heard of Cardinal but haven't really looked into it.

I thought they only had skeet? Not sure of the difference between the three, i'll have to look into it.

I should've been more specific (or broad) anywhere somewhat close to central Ohio. Delaware isn't all that far from us since we're on the north side anyway.

I've heard of Cardinal but haven't really looked into it.

Summer before last some buddies from work and I shot a shitload of clays. I think I went through over 8,000 rounds in just 2015. I can't begin to tell you how much money I donated to Cardinal shooting center that year. lol.

First off, Cardinal is worth the drive. Top notch facility. Blackwing isn't bad but I've found that a good bit of their throwers malfunction, which is annoying.

I prefer sporting clays over all. It's like golf with a shotgun.

Trap = You rotate between 5 different positions in a semicircle(ish) shape. You shoot single or double. 25-50 clays. The bunker is in front of you throwing clays away from you. The trap machine oscillates left and right so you won't know exactly which direction its going to take.

Skeet = 8 stations. There's a high house and a low house on the left and right, respectively. Every round is the exact same no matter where you go. It's fast paced. I personally suck at skeet but don't really shoot it that much.

Sporting clays = random course. Usually 50 or 100 clays spread throughout a number of stations; each course is different. You usually shoot 2-4 pairs of clays per station. They are thrown in either true pairs (both release at same time) or report pairs (1st goes on 'pull', 2nd goes on report of the gun).

Blackwing isn't a bad place to shoot. Cardinal has pro shoots on their courses and it is top notch. May end up getting the national trap shoot in the next few years. They already hold the college championships and the state championships

Please don't shoot Clay, he has kids and a wife!!!

I shouldn't have found this humorous but for some reason I did.

I love shooting clays. Grew up shooting a 12 gauge more than anything. I'm by no means amazing at it, but I do enjoy it. I'm far better with long guns in general than I am with pistols.